Thread: Spark table pretty low after head swap & higher compression...

Tuner in Training

Spark table pretty low after head swap & higher compression...

I had to remove a bunch of timing from my stock tables after my head swap. Just wondering if this looks okay to everybody & if I need to worry about anything else at play here.

I had a lot of KR around the .52/2200 area, so I had to remove a bunch of timing there. Most of that is right as I punch it to WOT from a dig.

I also had quite a bit in the .88/4000 region, also at WOT & mostly after the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. Those areas of KR tapered off as my RPM's went higher, so I'm still able to run 25-27 at 6000-6400 RPM's with no KR. I also smoothed up all the areas around the KR accordingly.

I figured right at 11:1 compression with my heads & cam, & unfortunately all we have around here is 91 octane (no ethanol), so no 93 to try out.

Stock fuel pump & SVO red top injectors tuned with the Greg Banish tables. I haven't hooked up a gauge to check fuel pressure, but my injector duty cycle never goes above 78% or so & I'm running 12.95 AFR at WOT.

I've never heard any pings or knocks at all coming from the engine, but I do occasionally hear something banging underneath the car at WOT. Exhaust or suspension or something, just not sure what & haven't been able to track it down. But, I also heard this when I was cam only & never had these KR issues then. That said, I just now got tires that can actually hook from a dig. I was just spinning my run-flats when I was cam only, so that might not be much of a comparison.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience here & was just looking for some more opinions.

Last edited by osuhog; 03-22-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    '99 WS6 Vert A4 3.23 H/C/I: PRC 2.5 5.3 61.5cc, 228/232 .588/.574 113+3, Ported Fast 85/85 Exhaust: FLP LT's, TD's/X/OTA, Super 44's, Corsa tips Tranny: Yank SS3200, shift kit, cooler Suspension: PHB, TA, LCA's/relo brackets, SFC's, STB, Bilstein BTS-7501 Bolt-ons: SLP UDP, SLP RA, FTP 98mm lid, 85mm LS2 MAF, SB, SVO 30#, NKG TR6, MSD wires Free: TB bypass, !air, !egr Cosmetic: HID's, TTM wheels, chrome hood/fender inserts, red calipers self-tuned with HPT & AEM WB, no #'s or times yet

Higher compression should require less timing to hit MBT (or the knock limit), so you're on the right path. You are discovering one of the signs of a more efficient engine.

BTW, what's with the hole in the timing map around 0.76g/cyl and 4800rpm? If you really only need 12 degrees here, chances are that adding load is not going to make it want to tolerate 18 degrees at 0.80g/cyl. Remember, timing generally goes down as loading goes up and the resulting tables should be smooth and progressive.

Check your fueling at 2200/.52g/cyl and make sure you're not going lean (or rich) on tip-in. You might be using spark to cover for a fueling issue. Go back and check those points in steady state and make sure the VE surface is right on the money there.

Tuner in Training
    Great, thanks so much for the suggestions Greg. Something I probably should have mentioned. I've actually been fine-tuning my MAF in these logs with the KR, so my tune was OLMAF. I figured I'd knock out any KR & perfect the MAF at the same time.

So, I just went back to my regular CL tune & drove around at lunch today. Seems that my CL tune never even hits those single digit timing cells at WOT from a dig. So, in turn, I don't see nearly as much KR, even with some higher timing values in my CL tune.

As far as that dip you mentioned, I was getting some KR in those cells right after the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts, so i had to remove quite a bit of timing there. I'll try to smooth things in that area a little better.

I'm gonna have to do some more logging & see what I can figure out over the next few days after my CL revelation.

Thanks again, I'll report back with any new findings!
    Last edited by osuhog; 03-22-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    '99 WS6 Vert A4 3.23 H/C/I: PRC 2.5 5.3 61.5cc, 228/232 .588/.574 113+3, Ported Fast 85/85 Exhaust: FLP LT's, TD's/X/OTA, Super 44's, Corsa tips Tranny: Yank SS3200, shift kit, cooler Suspension: PHB, TA, LCA's/relo brackets, SFC's, STB, Bilstein BTS-7501 Bolt-ons: SLP UDP, SLP RA, FTP 98mm lid, 85mm LS2 MAF, SB, SVO 30#, NKG TR6, MSD wires Free: TB bypass, !air, !egr Cosmetic: HID's, TTM wheels, chrome hood/fender inserts, red calipers self-tuned with HPT & AEM WB, no #'s or times yet

Yep, I have to run quite a bit less timing than stock in some places with my 408. 10.92 SCR and 8.7 DCR.... timing map looks like this: