Thread: Stupid E-brake and ABS light is on! Cant figure this out.

Stupid E-brake and ABS light is on! Cant figure this out.

Ok My buddy bought a NBS 07 silverado 2wd with the 5.3. The 2wd tires were bald so he had the dealer put on wheels and tires off a 4x4 they had on the lot. Its not a big change in tire size just stock 30.79" tall tires to 31.6" tall tires. He brought it over for a speedo cal which I did the way Im used to doing which is put in tire size and axle and hit commit but that caused the light to come on so I searched on here and read that people have been making due by just changeing the general vss ppm setting. I did this and the light still came on. I attached the stock and the general ppm adjust files. Any help. I told him to try the dealer and see if their tech2 can do anything. Its not that big of a change, why is the abs freaking out.
    2000 Sonoma Zq8 Extcab
    '08 Ly6 6.0, Nx nitrous plate, TSP vvt-2 cam + more goodies, SW Longtube headers, 4l80e, CircleD 3500 stall, HPTuners, Narrowed 8.8 swap: Moser axles, 3.73 gears, disc brakes, posi. Caltracs. Afco Coilovers
    Best time [email protected] na
    LSx Swap thread http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...n-name-459831/

are the front and rear tires the same size?
    if not it will cause ABS issues

change in VSS wont make the ABS do weird things, it will just make the speedo read incorrectly if its not set for the new tire size

check to make sure the wheel sensors are all ok and that the ABS is plugged in..
    perhaps a wire/sensor got crushed when they put it on the lift to change the wheels out.
    -Scott -

Yes the wheels are the same size. The lights arent on with the stock tune but the speedo is off thats why I tried to calibrate it. Which causes the lights to come on.
    2000 Sonoma Zq8 Extcab
    '08 Ly6 6.0, Nx nitrous plate, TSP vvt-2 cam + more goodies, SW Longtube headers, 4l80e, CircleD 3500 stall, HPTuners, Narrowed 8.8 swap: Moser axles, 3.73 gears, disc brakes, posi. Caltracs. Afco Coilovers

your ABS doesnt know what size tires are on.. it doesnt give a crap about your speedo..
    all it cares about is that all 4 wheels are going the same speed...
    -Scott -

I know that the abs just wants all 4 wheels to be traveling at the same speed thats why it might freak out with different size wheels front and back. Its just the ebcm on NBS trucks dont like having taller wheels. I've done a bit of research on it.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ight=abs+light
    2000 Sonoma Zq8 Extcab

Senior Tuner
    Try this. HP Tuners changes some things it shouldn't when you correct with the tire size and gear ratio box on 07+ NBS Trucks. I've been through this many times and have asked them to correct the way it does it but they won't.

Ill give it a shot. Thanks, My buddy wont be able to come by so I can change the tune for a few weeks though so just have to sit by until then.
    I see that you changed the general vss and tire revs, through all the threads Ive seen about this they're always just changing the vss for the speedo.
    2000 Sonoma Zq8 Extcab

Senior Tuner
    I let HP Tuners change everything it does by entering the new gear ratio and/or tire size in the boxes. That way it auto scales the shift and TC lock up tables. Then I put everything back to the stock settings that it changed except those 2 items. It's the other things it changes that it shouldn't that cause the ABS and brake light problems.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I let HP Tuners change everything it does by entering the new gear ratio and/or tire size in the boxes. That way it auto scales the shift and TC lock up tables. Then I put everything back to the stock settings that it changed except those 2 items. It's the other things it changes that it shouldn't that cause the ABS and brake light problems.
    What specifically is it changing that it shouldn't.
    I haven't ran across this problem yet, but I'm sure I will.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The problem is, for years, gm has used up to 5 different methods to calculate gear/tire size, the gear/tire calc can only work for 1 of those methods for any given master template.

For instance 2007 Corvettes & 2007 trucks share the same operating system, these are two very different applications trucks can have 4wd, etc so if something is broken in the truck but not the corvette & we fix it for the truck then the corvette would be broken.

Sorry buys but its a catch 22 that simply cannot be fixed in every case and you would need to manually scale the tables in the cases where it cannot be scaled automatically.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Here's a solution that works. Just get the Speedo PPM correct and leave the rest alone. If you don't you're going to fight with the ABS stuff forever. Your shift MPH will be technically "wrong" but it will shift ok once you get the settings the way you like them.
    Keep in mind the VCM scanner reports the output shaft MPH not "speedo" mph. So if you only change the gear ratio (if you have changed it of course) and not the tire size and then recalibrate the VSS PPM you will be fine.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    I changed the tires from a 245/70 16 to 265/70 on my 2003 4wd suburban. With the Tech 2 I changed the tire size in the EBCM to the correct size. HP tuners is needed for the speedo.

Changing gear ratios on some 07's make em trip the hell out. I'm having a similar issue right now.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

I had a similar issue when I lifted my 06 Silverado and put in 4:10's. I have 315x70x17" tires. 34.3 is the actual tire height. Even after setting the correct tire and gear ratio I still got the annoying warning but I noticed it took a little longer for it to happen. I changed the value under vss output pulse per; MILE-ABS from 128000 to 118457 and I was good to go.
    Last edited by simplegreen; 05-16-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    anyone have a formula to figure out mile-abs? i have a 05 silverado that had 3.42 gears and 29.1 calculated tire size and now has 4.10 gears and 32.82 calculated tire size (lt325/65r18)
    Thanks Chris
    Last edited by lq9_monte; 10-22-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: had wrong tire size
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    6.0 LQ9 - built 4L60e -ford 9" w/4.30 gears

Potential Tuner
    let me revive this. I need some help with mine. I swapped it from 265 to 285 and made the size 32.07.. can someone give me the right numbers for the vss so I can get the abs/brake light to go away?

08 Silverado z71 4x4 285s and 3.73s