Thread: Never tuned a car before.

Tuner in Training

Never tuned a car before.

So in a couple days I'm gonna get this HP Tuner Suite kit for my 98 C5 w/cam. I've never used this before and have only used my DynoJet Power Commander on my 2009VMax after doing lots of motorwork.

Now I'm gonna have to figure out what to do to my Vette so it can idle and not be getting such horrible gas mileage.

I'll be asking LOT'S of questions and doing lot's of searching to get some answers. Hopefully I can avoid messing up the engine.

Wish me luck and if you have any suggestions.....I'm all ears.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bill! I'm reading up this weekend....once again Thank you!

Rickey

Check out the free guide in my sig, it will help with the basics.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
    Thanks! Good reading. I have a lot to learn. It's looking like I need to go slow.

Tuner in Training
    Finally got the program loaded on my lap top and the drivers installed for the MPV* whatever it's called and then the car wouldn't cooperate and I got a VCM "Failed" message. Going to do a search on this forum for the remedy....

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you get a filed message of some sort shoot email a support with an infolog(while connected to the vehicle) as well as a screenshot of the error you are seeing if its not something thats self explanatory(ie definition failed to load email support a copy of this file, blah blah blah)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I disconnected the cars amp....no problem now, just downloaded the current tune and when I went to save it showed a message for me to click 2 GM credits to save and modify it. Thought this was a mistake "2" credits? But I'm thinking it is what it is and I'm going to reconnect to the car and then proceed with the spending 2 credits to complete the save the OEM tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sfc rick View Post
    I disconnected the cars amp....no problem now, just downloaded the current tune and when I went to save it showed a message for me to click 2 GM credits to save and modify it. Thought this was a mistake "2" credits? But I'm thinking it is what it is and I'm going to reconnect to the car and then proceed with the spending 2 credits to complete the save the OEM tune.
    2 credits is correct for a single C5.

Here is a good guide for dialing in the idle on a cammed car:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/to...sing-hptuners/

Tuner in Training
    I saved the current tune like it was suggested incase I mess up anything when I try to fix it...hahahah!

I read that link about tuning for a cam.... I obviously don't know enough for any of it to make sense to me yet. This only tells me I'm in over my head and need to research and learn more before I change anything. Time will tell. My idle w/ac on was set at 725rpm's when warmed up, so that's a trouble spot since it doesn't idle well there.

It's not as easy for me as I originally thought(guess that's why $500 tunes could be a bargain, no learning curve there!)

Also I should solder up the hole I drilled in the TB blade BEFORE I try to adjust anything.

Tuner in Training
    I also just ordered a couple of Greg Banish tuning books to get a better understanding of what I'm trying to do.

Tuner in Training
    I just successfully changed my idling tables. Now all I have to do is figure how to adjust my IAC motor so I can solder up the hole in throttlebody blade and still maintain a idle when AC is on.

One thing at a time.

I got the first book by Greg Banish on tuning and it just told me how much I don't know about tuning and what all the stuff was and what they are called. Hopefully the other book that comes next will actually tell me WHAT TO ACTUALLY DO to correct issues.

Potential Tuner
    The link to the tuning guide is broken (on the main page).

Quote Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post

Thanks, all fixed. DStecks injector data on there now too in a spreadsheet.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me