Thread: Tuning spark without dyno but with Cylinder pressure measuring spark plugs?

Tuning spark without dyno but with Cylinder pressure measuring spark plugs?

Can HP Pro be hooked up to one of these cylinder measuring spark plugs and used to tune the spark tables?

Thanks for any help!
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Quote Originally Posted by ajamesbond007 View Post
    Can HP Pro be hooked up to one of these cylinder measuring spark plugs and used to tune the spark tables?

Thanks for any help!
    Tuning spark via CA50 numbers (crank angle for 50% burn) or location of peak pressure would be ideal. That's how it's done at the OEM. The problem is that you need more than just the plug. You also need high speed data acquistion and an encoder to sync the pressure timestamp with crank angle. These setups usually start at around $40k and go up from there quickly. Most performance shops are not equipped with that level of equipment, so they rely upon wheel/crank torque measurements to empirically determine MBT.

.... wow that's expensive... and much thanks for explaining it to me. I can see why shops use dyno's instead.

And great book btw! I learned quite a bit from it
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun