Thread: unable to access Transmission tables

Tuner in Training

unable to access Transmission tables

Hi Guys,

pretty much a virgin tuner i've started tweaking minor things here and there and take the car out for a run. when i brought the suite i was under the impression that 5 speed automatic VZ SV6 was accessible and you can mod it.
    but i cannot access the tables to modify it and a range of other tables.

is there something i can do to unlock these tables

the car VZ SV6 2005 5 speed auto

thanks

Tuner in Training
    No there is nothing you can do to get into them.. i got my HP tuners in 2009 and was told there would be more work done on the Bosch computers around mid 2010 to get more tables to tune with and to open the 5L40e trans controller and get it onto the editor as well..
    still waiting!!

but now from what i understand now the T68 transmission controller cant be re flashed by anything.. even holden tecs cant do it so iv been told..
    if there was a dedicated trans controller editor for this id be willing to invest money just to do this auto
    or a way to retrofit a different TMC unit to replace the t68

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by vz_calais_190 View Post
    No there is nothing you can do to get into them.. i got my HP tuners in 2009 and was told there would be more work done on the Bosch computers around mid 2010 to get more tables to tune with and to open the 5L40e trans controller and get it onto the editor as well..
    still waiting!!

but now from what i understand now the T68 transmission controller cant be re flashed by anything.. even holden tecs cant do it so iv been told..
    if there was a dedicated trans controller editor for this id be willing to invest money just to do this auto
    or a way to retrofit a different TMC unit to replace the t68
    Thanks mate very informative. ah well i'll just have too keep practicing on Gen III. BTW what about a shift kit would that be worth looking into?

Tuner in Training
    The 5L40E is the best auto gm has ever made.. even BMW used it...
    It shifts fast (but not hard).. dont clunk and bang like the old 4 speeds.. and never hunts for gears or gets confused like the 6L80E used in the newer V8 commodore.

you can beef up the 5l40E internals but the computer will soften the shifts down again and if you were to go overboard it might not be able to adjust then it will cry error codes at you and might even go into limp mode...

Tuner in Training
    ahh okay the 5 speed is too smart for its own good i just wanna amp up the line pressure :P dang it. thanks buddy helped me out quite a bit.

I actually didn't buy a SV6 for the very fact it had the 5 speed gearbox. It's a piss poor gearbox made by BMW which A. you cant tune, B. the rating of recommended torque it can handle is exactly what the SV6 puts out which is a worry.

The 4 speeds in the VZ's are a stripped down V8 gearbox, designed to handle around 450nm of torque....... the 5 speeds are only designed to run around 340nm.

More gears will always win, but I wanted the ability to tune my gearbox, so I got the 4 speed and I'm very glad I did. I didn't want to buy a car where I could possibly break the gearbox with upgrades on the car.

For this very reason there has been alot of VZ SV6's with alot of gearbox problems if you read around other forums.

PS. That said my next car will either be a FPV XR6T or a VE Series II SV6. Both of which dont run that gearbox. It's a shame about missing the paddle shifts on both cars tho.
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 03-19-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Tuner in Training
    iv driven a few VE's and fords and yeah having to flick the gear leaver is a real pain in the arse.. not safe in a tricky situation ether!!

some of the early VZ had a dodgy Trans controller.. mine was an feb 05 and twice it did a full load shift from 2nd-3rd and shifted so hard it skidded the tyres in the dry!!! the whole body of the car went bang and i was shoved hard into the seat.. this was about 130km/h
    i just stopped using the power mode as i didnt like the way it held onto gears going around bends near redline.. yes fun in the hills but not flat roads. i used the paddles most of the time as i got more km out of a tank and the converter clutch would lock sooner

After studying the VE Omega gearbox compared to the VZ 4 speed, there was one major problem they had in the VZ they really should have fixed.

The default shift pressure table was set to max across the board which on occasion would cause a full force shift (bit retarded). They then revised the table in 2008 on the VE Omega's and put a scaled shift pressure in there which the car would then default to.

The problems never really been the cars (with their various issues) it's been how they've been setup to run.

Truth is, they were built very sloppy in terms of tuning quality. But then again they are just a mainstream production car.

I think tho the newer 2010+ Fords and Commodores would be alot better today then the past 5 years.

There's only two things I regret about not owning a SV6, 1. Paddle shifts...... 2. Exhaust VVT which would have opened up alot more tuning options. But again for me, I wanted the transmission tuning not available to the 5 speed so.

I've been looking at the SIDI's but HP Tuners are too busy tuning dodge vipers or something at the moment, so there'll be no improvement on general V6 of any sort it would seem for quite a while unfortunately.

Anyway.... If you guys have some tuning tricks or questions PM me, I'm always interested in a chat and swaping idea's bout tunes. Cheers

Tuner in Training
    you could always just buy a 6 speed manual.. i know there not so smooth and have an ultra tight gate that Rev,1st seem to live in the one spot (not good when there is a cop car behind you) ha ha

or you could find a way how to transplant a 6 speed auto from an sidi onto a 190/195kw motor.. maybe there is a tcm that will run it and work with the Bosch system that hp tuners can edit

meh manuals are slowly becoming a thing of the past......... these days we have the locking sport shift in the auto's .......... and overall for those gearbox's you can 'tune' they can shift alot faster then a manual if tweaked right.

Manual's will be phased out eventually...... or they'll have some auto gearbox in manual form ...... either way it makes tuning the cars power points better if it's an auto.

Tuner in Training
    your right.. manuals are slower unless you try and smash the gears..
    iv got a friend with a 04 sv6 man with cold air and big exh iv been doing some work on.. running the 08 ve sv6 cam settings and some mild increase of the air load and its pulling really well now.. but the guy dont know how to drive it and a ba 6 can beat him to 100 ha ha..
    was running like an arse before i started.. black smoke and all lol
    but yeah nothing can beat the VZ 5 speed auto around town and in the twisty hills with the ESP on.. if you cant drive without jurking the wheel you have to turn it off!!! you really miss the paddle shifts in the VE's do the ve2 have them?? iv not seen inside one yet

nah holden are pretty lame, no paddle shift.......... we all know holden are more about economy and emmissions rather then power.

The VZ SV6's have nice power build on the highway if u give it some......... but yeh need some tweaking to get them moving from stock form.

Personally I think they sorta went backwards with the VE. Made it heavier, removed easy access to install a aftermarket headunit, removed the sports suspension, made in interior cheap and nasty...... Refined it to a 'boring level' to drive.

The VZ is lighter, tougher, rougher...... more feature packed in the sense they come with the FE2, better interior quality etc..... plus they are nice a pretty tough look, they just are tough looking if u add the wheels (even racing stripes like mine).

Just my opinion. My biggest worry is 'electronic steering' which I'm sure holden are going to try and put in the commodores, now that will be the end of it all......... yuck.

Tuner in Training
    my VZ calais had FE1.5.. same ride hight as HSV FE2 was an option that i was glad i didnt have as its to harsh on most roads..
    there was no LSD option but you could get it with the SV6 or berlena but the calais V8 got the option
    maybe lsd upset the ESP??

VEs have less road noise but they striped out a lot of options in the ss and calais and if you wanted the same as the vz you had to step upto the V option and you paid a lot more and got full elec seats, dual climate, better sound system gps FE2 as std

didn't even know there was the option of FE2 on the VE's........... thats interesting. I have FE2 which I think is awesome .......

Potential Tuner
    Anyone been able to access the transmission tables for the 5L40E automatic? There are a couple of tuners in the US and Canada who do it, but won't tell anyone how. Thx.

Potential Tuner
    Hate to dig up an old thread, but has there been any progress on this, or will it be happening in the future?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unfortunately not.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"