Thread: allison shifts?

Potential Tuner

allison shifts?

2006 2500hd, banks cold air box, bd driver side manifold, ppe fuel rail plug, egr delete w/ finger stick, full 4" exhaust w/ down pipe, fluid damper, so on and so on. the tranny has valve body upgrade with ppe side cover.
    the question is about the "trans adapt" feature in the vcm controls, i"ve heard this referred to as "quick learn". i know that the secrets to making an automatic transmission work properly is like the secrets of making a multi disc clutch work on a top fueler. i'm not looking for all the answers, just some guidance along the right path.
    the truck pulls great, shifts where i tell it to, the only issue i am having, is what i've been told is the "defueling" between shifts. to me it feels as if the driver pushed in the clutch, pulled the shifter, released the clutch and continued to drive away. under partial throttle and low mph it will bang hard when shifting.
    is this where the "trans adapt" or EFI Lives "fast learn" is needed?

Potential Tuner
    well now i have an immovable vehicle. the phrase "gear selector inhibited" came across the matrix. shouldv known that the few people that have figured out the allison trans wouldnt let out the secrets. it's cool

Tuner in Training
    I wish i could help you with this. You might try asking on diesel place.com under the custom tuning section. You might get some help from the EFIlive guys over there. You should be able to minimize the defueling, i would guess through the torque management tables, but im not sure how much is safe.
    07' Silverado 2500HD, LMM Dmax

gnxjester - just shut down your truck and restart... happened to me to. scared my friend lol, was kinda funny... kinda. What kind of tune do you have on your Dmax?
    Andrew
    andrewjamesbond1@gmail.com

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Senior Tuner
    While there is a whole trouble shooting guide to "gear selector inhibited", it is most commonly a failure of the gear selector switch on or in the transmission. Not necassarilly a result of your mods. I usually decrease the shift times, depends on the model how much, but usually 0.100. The oncoming and offgoing preasures will help speed up shifts. Increasing the the torque values in torque management will allow for faster smoother shifts. Make small changes and watch results. Tailor to your preferance. You did not say what you are using it for, if your towing making these mods can definatly hurt your tranny. DO NOT make full throttle shifts into 5 or 6 gear. use this info at your own risk.

Potential Tuner
    well after i walked away from the truck for a bit, it reset. the customer, (my boss and father) still wasnt happy so i flashed it back to stock, reconnected his banks six gun speed loader and let him have his truck back until i figure out where to go with it. now he complains that the truck is not the same. i told him that he was spoiled from the hp tune, he claims "no, it lost power and doesnt pull the same." the truck is a daily driver that is used for work, and almost always is towing vehicles for the customers of the shop.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    When you reflash the duramax the transmission learned shift data is lost. It will drive funny for a short while this is relearned. This is the only thing that should have changed if you went back to stock that I am aware of.