Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing TM on a 6L80E - helpful, hurtful or hard to say? (the answers are inside)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    Very . That will put the naysayers on the A6's out to pasture.

When you say "little bit of TM" do you mean via shift torque factor?
    There is an adder modifier table that lets you adjust TM via a given RPM. Makes for a really slick tune. It allows for full TM in areas or no TM in others.
    11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Well it's been a while since i made posts in this thread, i've actually tuned the TM adders from my previous tune, to not have TM during the shifts at WOT. did it as test to see if the 3-4 delay i was having at the track was the result of TM and too little shift speed time. i'm pretty much using stock shift times now, and using the TM adders to have 50% at low/mid throttle, and 0 tm for WOT upshifts. this way i barely spin the tires during the WOT shift, and i still experience the confort of the trans without having to snap my neck at crusing speed. i've been running like this for about 3 months, and so far i like the results. i'm sure my trans won't last as much as GM designed it for, but i'm also not racing the car every weekend at the track, so i feel confortable with my settings.

And btw, TM had no bearings in the 3-4 delay.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Well it's been a while since i made posts in this thread, i've actually tuned the TM adders from my previous tune, to not have TM during the shifts at WOT. did it as test to see if the 3-4 delay i was having at the track was the result of TM and too little shift speed time. i'm pretty much using stock shift times now, and using the TM adders to have 50% at low/mid throttle, and 0 tm for WOT upshifts. this way i barely spin the tires during the WOT shift, and i still experience the confort of the trans without having to snap my neck at crusing speed. i've been running like this for about 3 months, and so far i like the results. i'm sure my trans won't last as much as GM designed it for, but i'm also not racing the car every weekend at the track, so i feel confortable with my settings.

And btw, TM had no bearings in the 3-4 delay.
    It will last allot longer running like you are then without any TM.
    11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning

Tuner in Training
    What ever happened to bluecat's info on this thread?
    2009 Pontiac G8. Camaro 3.45's, 222/230 114+2 .59x/.60x, VCM intake, ported intake/heads/tb, 1 3/4 Kooks lt's, Solo hf cats and cat back, udp. 12.2 @ 117 2.05 60 ft.

Advanced Tuner
    It's been proven TM is a good thing for the trans, look at how many people are rebuilding 6l80e's, what do they have in common ? they didn't have TM
    Btw, i went back to my 10-12% TM at WOT, only ran it at 0 TM for 3 months and one week, I see no point having 0 TM unless you want it, really. I just wanted to try for myself and see the difference, in my case, it made no difference how the car ran other than my brain telling me she was faster because she was running zero TM. I guess if you have an all out drag car, it would be one thing, i bash this mine almost on daily basis, i still want some nanies to watch over my clutches, almost 80k miles here, driven like i stoler her pretty much on daliy basis, and i haven't touched the seals on the trans, just a fluid/filter and trans pan change at 70k miles to accomodate my yank 3200.

Tuner in Training
    I pm'd a very well known calibrator that worked the manufacturers at one time and he said tm is your friend, and will definitely extend the life of the trans. I want to go back to running some. The one thing I noticed when I added some tm back in is that when tm was enabled, it sounded crappy between shifts, like a very weird exhaust note. Didn't like it at all. Must be a setting I have in there. How do you like your stall bluegoat06? I am kicking around doing a 278 mm 2800 from Circle D, but don't want to mod further if I can't get the current issues ironed out.
    2009 Pontiac G8. Camaro 3.45's, 222/230 114+2 .59x/.60x, VCM intake, ported intake/heads/tb, 1 3/4 Kooks lt's, Solo hf cats and cat back, udp. 12.2 @ 117 2.05 60 ft.

Advanced Tuner
    One of best mods i've done so far, next would be a cam, something like a 228/232 or 232/236, still not decided, TM can be customized per shift and requested torque, so she doesn't run full TM in between shifts at part throttle or WOT. The converter made the car a lot more fun to drive.

Tuner in Training
    I'm intently lurking this thread... less for performance reasons, and more because I can't stand the way my 2012 Silverado shifts....

Would adjusting the TM help the tranny find it's gears a bit better? I feel my truck hunts far too much between gears. I didn't buy a truck for fuel economy.

Advanced Tuner
    I hate to say it, but you'll need to play with TM to find what you like your shifts to be. start with 50% for the low/mid throttle area and see if you like the shifts, lean that TM out the closer to WOT you get, for less TM during WOT shifts. i have mine setup at 50% TM for parth throttle, and depending on engine requested torque and RPM, i remove more TM, until 10% is left for the WOT shift, i do this for WOT 1-2,2-3 and 3-4, 5th and 6th have 100%TM during WOT shifts, the rest is 50% TM for anything other than WOT.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    I hate to say it, but you'll need to play with TM to find what you like your shifts to be. start with 50% for the low/mid throttle area and see if you like the shifts, lean that TM out the closer to WOT you get, for less TM during WOT shifts. i have mine setup at 50% TM for parth throttle, and depending on engine requested torque and RPM, i remove more TM, until 10% is left for the WOT shift, i do this for WOT 1-2,2-3 and 3-4, 5th and 6th have 100%TM during WOT shifts, the rest is 50% TM for anything other than WOT.
    Did you do any adjustments for your new converter? I have a 2008 A6 Corvette with a 3200 Yank single disc. The only tuning to my tranny so far is a 50% reduction in my TM.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TLTONEY View Post
    Did you do any adjustments for your new converter? I have a 2008 A6 Corvette with a 3200 Yank single disc. The only tuning to my tranny so far is a 50% reduction in my TM.

Thank you
    You'll need to adjust shift points to make it feel right as far as when it shifts.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Yep. I want one of those seven speeds in my truck.
    Looks like that's what the new C7 Corvettes will be sporting

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TLTONEY View Post

Thank you
    Yes, you'll have new shift points at WOT so this would need adjustment, you need to bump the tcc offset so the verter locks tight when the tcm commands locking pressure, you'll need to zero out desired slip in all gears, and disable WOT lockup, you only want lockup at part throttle, we're all doing 5th and 6th only. I'm lazy to type everything again and post print screens, but i made a thread in my local forum, G8boarddotcom, tuning section, on what you need to change, thanks to everybody in this forum involved one way or the other.

Good Read. Not sure how I missed this thread. I find that you can get away with turning TM off when using stock shift pressures and main line pressures, but the second you up the pressures to handle increases in hp, from modding, TM is needed, esp part throttle....unless you want to slow down shift times...ie introduce more slip.

Kind if seems like a no brainer, but I don't tear them down and measure clutches, so it's just speculation.

I tune tm for each gear separately, in each rpm range, and have had good results so far.

BmB

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    Good Read. Not sure how I missed this thread. I find that you can get away with turning TM off when using stock shift pressures and main line pressures, but the second you up the pressures to handle increases in hp, from modding, TM is needed, esp part throttle....unless you want to slow down shift times...ie introduce more slip.
    I don't believe this to be correct at all. TM does not introduce slip, it just pulls timing.
    I agree with what Waker posted here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...0&postcount=34
    2013 ZL1 A6

Quote Originally Posted by SICK WS 6 View Post
    I don't believe this to be correct at all. TM does not introduce slip, it just pulls timing.
    I agree with what Waker posted here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...0&postcount=34
    If you re-read post you'll see that it does t say TM introduces slip...

Newbie question...

What does increasing the MAF voltage do to the delivered TQ & hence the shifting with TQ/Mgmnt on?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    If you re-read post you'll see that it does t say TM introduces slip...
    You're right. My brain wasn't quite functioning correctly yesterday after eating all that food. Sorry.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Tuner in Training
    Kind of an odd question but "the tuning school" 6L80e tuning guide says to change a lot of stuff dealing with max pressure and the tq settings (that disable tm)

Kind of confused how a tuning school says to pull TM but most good tuners say dont?

2008 6.2/6L80e swap

Senior Tuner
    ken, check out the "how did you get started" thread on pt.net

simple reasoning
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.