Thread: New to Tuning

Tuner in Training

New to Tuning

I just got my car after it being down for 6 months.
    Here is what I'm tuning:

99 Camaro V6.
    Completely rebuilt motor
    Custom Comp Cam 220/230 112LSA .576/.576
    1.8 Rockers
    Hydraulic lifters
    Titanium Pushrods
    130# ValveSprings
    Double Roller Timing Chain
    l67 Rods
    Custom Wiseco Forged 10.5:1 pistons
    P/P heads and intakes
    FFF Longtubes

I have started using 92 octane.

The video posted is the startup and idle of the car. Its throwing a code because I deleted the egr. Also it was saying something about the cam sensor. I am completely new to tuning, I have never tuned before.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you done a case learn after the rebuild?

You need to go for a drive, an idle scan will not tell you that much.

Take it easy when driving while scanning on a new motor, to make sure you don't damage the motor, until you start making changes.
    Wait to go WOT until your close with the tune. Lord, you don't want to go too lean too soon.
    Do you belong to other forums?
    Read.. read... read...
    I still feel like IDK WTF i'm doing.
    Last edited by GeoJB; 03-13-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Tuner in Training
    I've been reading other forums with my specific car. I'm thinking I need to up my idle with the cam I'm running. The stock setting is 930 at the temp I'm at (~35*). Anyone have thoughts of what to bump this number up to?

Tuner in Training
    Well I drove it about half a mile today. Here is the log

Advanced Tuner
    Well your getting started. Need to have the car get up to full operating temp.
    Looks like your going to be on the lean side.
    Look around and read, there is alot of info on the V8 forum.
    download a couple of the Histo configs.
    You table display is the primary if it's not on that, probably wont show up on any thing else.
    Hopefully some one with more experience than me will chyme in.

I have a recent post about KR at cruise in there is a copy of my config, see if it helps you.
    Last edited by GeoJB; 03-19-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Advanced Tuner
    You need to post up more info on your car.
    Also take a look at this, If you already haven't
    Helped me alot.
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com/tune.htm

Tuner in Training
    I'll search for your config I have a slightly new problem ..........

I got the wideband installed. I was reading between 12.8-14.8 while this screen shot was taken. I started it and 2 seconds later the knock count went straight to 15 and stayed there.......

Anyone have any thoughts?

Tuner in Training
    Slight update, I pulled the terminals off the battery and put them back back on and restarted it. This time it had 0 knock, so was it just false knock?

Tuner in Training
    I wrote to the ecu to start tuning and start car and had instant knock. I set the car to the original setup. Started it and still had knock. So I let the car sit for a few hours. Started it up no knock. Then after running for a few seconds shut it off. Then re-flashed the ecu. Started it back up and instantly got knock. Turned off, flash ecu with the previous ROM and started up and had instant knock. Anyone have thoughts on this? Am I doing something wrong??

Tuner
    i got one. can find out what the ur AFR is set at on warm up before the engine
    temp gets to 160 or before the car starts to knock. i know cars do start rich when warming up then is leans out as the car warms up. i know the pcm AFR changes base on engine temp. if the car does not have knock when the engine is cold base on that AFR to engine temp thing, i would try to get close to that AFR at normal engine temp. keep it rich and start from there.

Tuner in Training
    Ever since I have had my new motor in and run it will shoot straight up to max knock count (currently 20 counts) then after 30-70 seconds the knock dissipates to zero and idles fine. While the car is idling the with the 20 kr, the car pulls timing down to -5. Then after the knock dissipates the car runs perfectly fine. This is causing major headaches in tuning it. I can't tell while driving it if the random KR spikes to 20 are real or false knock. Anyone have any thoughts or been through this??? It is still showing 22.4 KR. when I disconnect the MAP sensor knock is instantly gone. Now when I'm WOT above 4k rpm the motor feels like it is misfiring. I had a scan tool on it and the whole time I had 0 misfires..... Thoughts? Replace coils? Plugs?? I pulled the MAP sensor and the gas is no longer there. I also removed PCM connections and cleaned them.

Attached is a scan of a quick drive.

Post your config your using to scan and your tune. Do you have the stock heat range spark plugs in the motor? Looks like most of your KR is when you lift off the gas and the timing shoots up in the idle range of the timing table.

Tuner in Training
    I am currently using AC Delco Heat Range 4 Iridiums. I am going to switch to these NGK's

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2041____

Why are your high and low octane timing table identical? Low should be 4* lower. I would also suggest disabling everything under abuse in torque management. Do you have a thermostat in it? even with a 160* tstat your fans will never shut off with the off setting on both fans at 150*. I would also suggest running a a simple copper spark plug 1 or 2 heat ranges colder than stock with your +1 point of compression over stock. The fancy plugs are a wider heat range than the coppers. I would also decrease the timing in the 0.28 and lower areas of the timing table by about 5 degrees to start with.

You also have ign voltage issues with it dropping to 10.7 volts at times.

Tuner
    Just looking
    1. You might have to much base timing
    2. Let the car totally warm up
    3. Do not WOT
    4.What type of fuel are you using?
    5. Try to pull some timing across the map 1 or 2 degrees
    6.Low volts are not good
    7. Do you have good grounds? etc look at all connection!!!!
    8. Is the battery fully charged?
    9. I think you have to much timing? the knock sen is your friend
    10. Go back to stock plugs
    11. Look at the spark wires and pull the plugs

Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS

Tuner in Training
    Slight update ....the car is running somewhat normal. I put fresh gas and a new pcm. The strange knock I was getting is gone. Can someone help explain how to set the wideband to log? I have an AEM Uego. I hooked it up to a RS232 cable and then into a RS232-USB converter. When I attach it to HPTuners it doesnt log it just reads 0 the whole time, but the actual gauge reads 14.7. I have tried searching but to no avail.

Tuner in Training
    I have a blue and white wire coming from the sensor.....should the blue go to pin 5 and white to pin one?

Senior Tuner
    Pretty sure blue is your serial output, wouldn't connect that to ground. Disconnect that Blue and connect ground to the #5 and see if it works. With cam and heads on it I'd go the two points colder than stock with them. Close the gap by at least 5 tho as well from stock setting, maybe even 10. If you have the timing matching for tuning just remember to take a few out of the low when you are done.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 01-11-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6