Thread: Help! Converter Won't lock :(

Tuner in Training

Help! Converter Won't lock :(

Hey guys,

Ran into a problem today..

My converter (Circle D 3200) will not lock up at cruise. I can manually lock it up with HP Tuners, so I don't believe the converter is bad. No misfires, but did have a P0741 code once.

If the TCC solenoid was bad, would I still be able to manually command lock up? Any other ideas as to what it would be?

When I click TCC PWM in HP tuners, I can hear a solenoid clicking. But when I click TCC Solenoid, no clicking..should there be?

I haven't been driving the truck much at all, but it was fine the last time I drove it.

In the attached log, when it locks, I am manually commanding it.

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Your release is higher than lock value.

Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    Your release is higher than lock value.
    +1
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    I must be missing something..because no where in do I see where the release is higher than the apply except for 2nd gear? And I do not want it to lock in 2nd.

Thanks!

What's your trans temp? Just curious... seen a few people that had external coolers that bypass the radiator have problems getting the trans warm enough to lockup.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Tuner in Training
    Trans temp is ~170.

I have ruled out tuning issues and think it is an internal problem. Will be tearing the trans down next week.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ah ok gotcha, reason I asked is because the log showed ECT at about 150*.
    '20 AT4

Tuner in Training
    Well, new TCC and PWM Solenoids didn't fix the issue.

Anyone else notice anything in my tune that could possible cause no lock up?

Thanks!!!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by AJII View Post
    Well, new TCC and PWM Solenoids didn't fix the issue.

Anyone else notice anything in my tune that could possible cause no lock up?

Thanks!!!

Your release tables are higher than your lock tables. I think they would make more sense if they were lower than lock.

Tuner in Training
    In trucks, the release tables are TPS % not MPH. 100% is the stock setting and I have verified this is correct with other trucks that I know lock the converter correctly.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AJII View Post
    In trucks, the release tables are TPS % not MPH. 100% is the stock setting and I have verified this is correct with other trucks that I know lock the converter correctly.
    If you were on the correct table it would be in mph. I think you are looking at the wrong table. Try auto TCC Release table. It's MPH.

Tuner in Training
    I have already posted the apply/release speed above...And this is what is in the release table.

MPH is given, and the 100 is % of throttle input needed before the converter will unlock. Stock setting, and the same setting in the other truck tunes I have looked at.

Which Circle D converter is it? Triple disk, single disk...? I've had issues with their triple disc units before getting them to properly lockup.
    '20 AT4

Tuner in Training
    It's just their Restalled Trailblazer one. 3-3200

Ah ok, I don't have HPTuners on this computer right now but will look at the file later.

Have you logged the TCC lockup status PID to make sure the computer is telling it to lockup? That'd be a great start.
    '20 AT4

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I logged it. It was saying "locked" but the converter actually wasn't.

But get this..I went to drive it and see if I could get it to throw any codes..and it locked up. I haven't changed a thing.

Drives me crazy. I'm glad it's working, but I really really wish I knew what is causing it. Occasional problems are the worst.

So, it says locked but wasn't locking. You could command it to lock and it locked. And now it randomly locks up?

I would talk to Chris over at Circle D about that one... If your tune is commanding TCC lockup and your converter doesn't lockup there's a mechanical issue somewhere. Either converter clutches are shit (which unfortunately can happen easily with the re-stalled converters) or the transmission harness/tcc solenoid isn't working properly. If all else fails, pull out full coverage and grab some gas and matches
    '20 AT4

Quote Originally Posted by jakebdb56 View Post
    So, it says locked but wasn't locking. You could command it to lock and it locked. And now it randomly locks up?

I would talk to Chris over at Circle D about that one... If your tune is commanding TCC lockup and your converter doesn't lockup there's a mechanical issue somewhere. Either converter clutches are shit (which unfortunately can happen easily with the re-stalled converters) or the transmission harness/tcc solenoid isn't working properly. If all else fails, pull out full coverage and grab some gas and matches
    Holy shit! I agree!
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    I've driven it about 50 miles since (mostly city) and it's still working fine.

I refuse to pull the 60e again..so I'm hoping the whole setup last long enough til I get enough for an 80e swap.

Thanks so much for all of you guys' help.

One thing that randomly popped into my head the other night to check is the TCC Brake SW signal. Do a log while cruising with the converter locked up, have the TCC enable status logging, tap the brakes, and see if TCC Enable gets set to No. Off the top of my head I don't know if the brake switch will show it On/Off, if it doesn't effect it then that would be something making your converter not lockup. Idk, just an idea.
    '20 AT4