Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFR goes to 11.5 but creeps back to 14.7 in boost

Tuner in Training

AFR goes to 11.5 but creeps back to 14.7 in boost

I just got my truck tuned and when i go WOT the AFR goes to 11.5 as commanded, but then works it's way back to 14.7 while i'm still in boost. Shouldn't i stay at ~11.5 the entire time i'm in boost? why would by AFR start creeping back to stoich? it takes about 2-3 seconds for it to get back to 14.7.

do i need to adjust any tables?

thanks!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the link, Bill. I got all excited reading it thinking i had it covered, but unfortunately not. My commanded AFR stays at 11.7 the whole time.

However, watching the STFTs on my log they are pulling fuel. I thought the STFTs are disabled in boost?
    2006 Ext Cab Silverado 5.3L HO 4x4 * Radix MagnaCharger * 3.2 Pulley * 90mm TB/J-Tube Conversion * Autometer Gauges - Wideband, Fuel Pressure, Boost * Volant CAI w/Ram tube * Pacesetter LT and ORY * Magnaflow Dual Rear Exhaust * Magnaflow 5" Resonator * 6" RCD Lift * 35" M/T ATZ * AR Victor Teflons 17x8 * 4.56 Gears * Mag-Hytec Diff & Trans Cover * TruCool 40K * Ride-Rite Air Support * FLT Lvl 5 w/300M shafts & Vacuum Mod

Are you saying that the commanded AFR is reverting back to 14.7 or the AFR as measured by the wide band is creeping back to 14.7? If the latter then you need to tune your MAF table and/or PE.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Make sure your car is meeting the PE requirements before it goes into boost.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Most boost setup's I alway's set the enable TPS significantly lower than normal and set the MAP point to around 85-90kpa that way PE enables anytime a load is on the motor.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    The AFR that is measure by the wideband creeps back up to 14.7, the commanded AFR stays at 11.7 while in boost.

PE is set at 1.13 across the table BE is set at 1.25 across the table. It's 2bar SD, so the MAF has been completely disabled. PE requirements are definitely being met as kPA is set at 95 and BE is set at 100kPA. Also, TPS is set at 45%.
    2006 Ext Cab Silverado 5.3L HO 4x4 * Radix MagnaCharger * 3.2 Pulley * 90mm TB/J-Tube Conversion * Autometer Gauges - Wideband, Fuel Pressure, Boost * Volant CAI w/Ram tube * Pacesetter LT and ORY * Magnaflow Dual Rear Exhaust * Magnaflow 5" Resonator * 6" RCD Lift * 35" M/T ATZ * AR Victor Teflons 17x8 * 4.56 Gears * Mag-Hytec Diff & Trans Cover * TruCool 40K * Ride-Rite Air Support * FLT Lvl 5 w/300M shafts & Vacuum Mod

If that's the case then you need to do some VE tuning then. The goal is to get actual the same as commanded.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by xsports33 View Post
    The AFR that is measure by the wideband creeps back up to 14.7, the commanded AFR stays at 11.7 while in boost.

PE is set at 1.13 across the table BE is set at 1.25 across the table. It's 2bar SD, so the MAF has been completely disabled. PE requirements are definitely being met as kPA is set at 95 and BE is set at 100kPA. Also, TPS is set at 45%.
    Log % injector duty cycle, it is possible your injectors are too small and aren't unable to supply enough fuel at higher demands.

If commanded AFR is 11.7 always under boost but it just doesn't happen at the wideband, it may be something is not calibrated properly, or the fuel delivery is not enough.

You know the injectors are too small when under boost the AFR=commanded at low RPM's, but as RPM increase, %IDC also increases reaching 100%. Then AFR starts to climb and there's nothing you can do.

Advanced Tuner
    needs more pump

Tuner in Training
    when i turn off STFT and LTFT and disable STFT Openloop my AFR is spot on. So, my VE table and multipliers are correct.

it's when i enable STFT and LTFT when the AFR works it's way back to 14.7 Commanded is 11.7, as soon as i mash the pedal the AFR goes to 11.7, but slowly (~2 sec) works it way back to 14.7 WHILE STAYING in boost.

What are your STFTs doing during the boost when this is occurring? I've never used OL STFTs because by very definition that is Closed Loop and frankly I don't see the point of the feature, so I don't know what the Commanded EQ does when they are active. If I were you I would disable the OL STFTs for a start and then show us a log showing Commanded AFR, STFTs, WB, NB Voltage and all the other standard usual PIDs that you'd want.

Tuner in Training
    During boost STFT's show -20 to -25 because they are pulling fuel going back to stoich.

But obviously, i don't want them to pull fuel because the VE is correct providing 11.7 which is what is commanded.

Question is: Why would my STFT's be pulling fuel trying to get back to 14.7 in boost, when the commanded AFR is 11.7 and VE w/the multiplier provides 11.7?

Post the tune and log of the behavior.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    Here's the log and the tune. We were using an Innovative Wideband that was hooked up externally, so it's not shown on the log. BUT, you can see the STFT's pulling fuel while in low boost and the commanded stays at 11.7

Frames 575-675 and 875 - 925 show what i'm talking about. Low boost, commanded 11.7 AFR and the STFT's kicking in and pulling fuel.

Again, with STFTs and LTFTs off AFR is as commanded... at most 1-3% rich
    Last edited by xsports33; 03-11-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Senior Tuner
    From what I see ...

You have STFT enabled so that is correcting the fule back to Stoich.
    PLUS: your PE Enable TPS is set to 37% at that RPM ... that enable TPS is your current Throttle Position (SAE) (which is at 43%) minus the Throttle Position (SAE) at Idle (which was 6%), which gives you 37%.

Makes sense to me that it is going lean, you are crossing under the PE Enable TPS threshold. Try lowering the PE Enable TPS threshold by 5 and it should help. Also as noted, disable STFT during Open Loop, because there will be times when your go out of Closed Loop but have not met PE qualifications yet ... that is where STFT in Open Loop work.

Try setting the the STFT Openloop to Disabled.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys! i will try that now.

12secSS - you moved TO Simi Valley? I just moved FROM Simi Valley to Chicago (military orders). You helped me out more than a few times on pt.net Glad to see you're still around.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. That didn't work. I disabled STFT Openloop and lowered my PE Enable TPS values by 5 and STFT's are still pulling fuel while in boost. It does it a little slower, but never the less does pull fuel.

Here's another log. It shows 2 pulls frames 40-60 and 150-160. Again, AFR drops down to what is commanded but slowly works its way back to 14.7 even though i'm still in boost.

Tuner in Training
    OK. After much trial and error, i finally figured it out. It had nothing to do with any of the above suggestions (unfortunately, otherwise i would have been done a long time ago).

For some reason, and i'm REALLY hoping someone can explain this to me, under ->Engine -> Torque Management ->General... one or potentially all of these tables were causing my STFTs to pull fuel while in boost:

Maximum Torque vs. RPM
    ETC TPS Max
    Torque Loss % vs. Spark Retard

I changed the above tables back to what i had before my last tune, and now the STFT's stay off in boost and i can hold AFR again... can someone shed some light on this?
    Last edited by xsports33; 03-11-2011 at 06:40 PM.