Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G8 tune. wont flash, says no TCM?

It happens on the Camaro's that are M6's also; happened on one I had today. Nothing better than trying to explain it to a customer that is watching his car take forever to start and seeing their looks of disbelief.

The G8 thing is after a read but then today, I had one that was hard starting after flashes as well.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Senior Tuner
    Every 10 and 11 Camaro A6 that I read requires the TCM fuse to be pulled only after a read. I've never had one hard to start and have never had to disconnect the battery on one. I've had 10 and 11 Trucks with A6 transmissions require the TCM fuse pulled after a read. It's easy to tell when they need it because you lose the PRNDL display in the dash. There will also be a Lost Commumication with TCM code stored too when you check them for codes.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It happens on the Camaro's that are M6's also; happened on one I had today. Nothing better than trying to explain it to a customer that is watching his car take forever to start and seeing their looks of disbelief.

The G8 thing is after a read but then today, I had one that was hard starting after flashes as well.
    Is it just a pull the battery cable for a minute or wait 20 minutes type of thing if I flash the car in my driveway?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    After reading the pcm pull the battery for 30 seconds or so(might just even be instant after you pull the battery, I just don't have a vehicle to test every scenario on).
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    I'll try today (on a read) on my lunch break from work if the white stuff stops falling from the sky.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    I'll try today (on a read) on my lunch break from work if the white stuff stops falling from the sky.
    Yeah whats with that...friggin April and snowing

Senior Tuner
    Looks like it stopped though...but I certainly felt like a jerk driving my shiny new to me SS in it this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Every 10 and 11 Camaro A6 that I read requires the TCM fuse to be pulled only after a read. I've never had one hard to start and have never had to disconnect the battery on one. I've had 10 and 11 Trucks with A6 transmissions require the TCM fuse pulled after a read. It's easy to tell when they need it because you lose the PRNDL display in the dash. There will also be a Lost Commumication with TCM code stored too when you check them for codes.
    I have had 3 M6 2010's this week. Every single one of them is hard starting after flashing even through multiple key cycles. You either have to pull the battery or leave the car sitting, and 3-4 minutes is not enough. I know the thread is about TCM-cars, but in either case the fuel pump module seems to be reluctant.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I have had 3 M6 2010's this week. Every single one of them is hard starting after flashing even through multiple key cycles. You either have to pull the battery or leave the car sitting, and 3-4 minutes is not enough. I know the thread is about TCM-cars, but in either case the fuel pump module seems to be reluctant.
    I'd like to know what the differences are here, one person no issue the other person issues, has to be some common denominator here, either of you care to explain the steps you've taken for the writing process before, during & after? Mainly 2xLS1 since he seems to not be having any issues.

Senior Tuner
    I've done (2) 2010 A6 Camaros, (2) 2010 M6 Camaros, and (2) 2011 A 6 Camaros and I can honestly say I've never seen a battery on any of them because I've never had a need to. They are in the trunk, arent they? I can tell you exactly where the TCM fuse is though.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I'd like to know what the differences are here, one person no issue the other person issues, has to be some common denominator here, either of you care to explain the steps you've taken for the writing process before, during & after? Mainly 2xLS1 since he seems to not be having any issues.
    I don't do anything special I just do a write calibration. I use an older Toshiba M3 laptop running Win XP Professionl Version 2002, SP3. I usually have the latest beta.

I did my first one 10/7/2010 and did the latest one yesterday. I avoided doing them for a long time because I didn't want the headaches everyone was having doing them, but other than the pulling the TCM fuse on the A6s, I've never had any of the issues I'd read about with any of them.

Senior Tuner
    I didn't think to even try to start the car until the battery pull...so I guess I don't have any useful info for you other than after a read entire, a few very minor changes (turned off skip shift, thats it so far lol) and a write calibration only, I unhooked the negative cable for literally 4 seconds, and the car is fine. The dash asked me to open and close the windows, and I had to have it relearn the tire pressure sensors, but no issues otherwise on my 2010 M6 Camaro.

Senior Tuner
    I tuned a 2010 SS last night, probably flashed it 10 or 11 times. I had to pull the negative cable every time to get the car to start. Seems that I can just pull it, then put it right back on immediately, hopefully that info helps.

I've noticed too, when the write calibration only completes, the message center on the dash says all kinds of crazy messages like AC disabled due to high engine temp...all that seems to clear once I pop the battery off for a moment.

Holden VE Maloo utes do this everytime I pull a read from one. It does not seem as common in the sedan.

Very interesting read. I have tuned 20+ Camaros 2010 and 2011 auto and manual and have never disconnected a battery or pulled a fuse.
    If I turn key on after a write calibration too fast I get the a/c off due to high engine temp and car starts really hard. But I have just figured out If I wait a minute or minute and a half before turning key after a write I have no issues.

Tuner in Training
    Thought it was common knowledge to wait AT LEAST 15 seconds after a flash?
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Weird as hell, my latest KB Camaro had absolutely zero issues while tuning, all though the one before that was a pain in the dick. The TCM loss in my G8 only occurred once and that was after reading the file out of it. After letting it sit, it had no issues ever again.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We believe the newest beta should fix the tcm reset issue after reading.

We were able to recreate the issue on our T76 tcm'd Chevy Cruze test vehicle and built a new readloader for it that fixed the issue, so we built a new readloader for the T43 that has the same fix implimented, give it a shot. 2.23.728 or newer.

Tuner in Training
    I never had an issue with any of the 5th gen camaros or G8s. Today I had a CTS-V do the TCM thing. Disconnected the battery for a minute and it's all good now. I've only got one hard starting Camaro SS 6spd, haven't gotten a solution for that yet. Strange thing on the CTS-V is I read it previously and had no problem, today it decided to act weird.