Thread: The truth about drilled injectors

The truth about drilled injectors

Per the request of 5_liter_eater, Paul Yaw from Injector Dynamics took the time to do a comparison test between a factory injector and the same injector with a drilled plate. A lot of companies claim drilled injectors don't change the offset and short pulse data, but that's a load of crap. Next time you see somebody advertising drop in injectors that are drilled, tell them to go pound sand.

Bill (Winters), I hope this is enough to convince you.

http://www.injectordynamics.com/Dril...dDipshits.html

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

I conceded that the offset and pulse adder numbers are different over on the other forum. So my next question is, is there an appreciable difference in how the car behaves? People have been swapping injectors for years without having the "correct" data for them.

Also, I thought one of Greg's other beefs with drilled or re-tipped injectors was that the spray pattern and/or atomization is not the same. Both of the companies we're talking about are essentially doing the same thing to the injectors. The difference is one provides their own data.
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 03-04-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

The way an injector is modified can create a usable or horrible pattern. Yes, people have been doing it for years, but that doesn't mean we can't demand better quality for calibrations. Bill, I would encourage you to do a comparison test between characterized and molested injectors. I've noticed a big difference in terms of startup and idle fueling consistency.

I'm glad someone did this test to show they aren't just drop in and change the flow table! I've had lots of customers ask about these type injectors and I've steered them away because I knew changing something in the injector that alters the flow rate would change more than just flow rate. It's kinda common sense if you think about it.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I think it's clear, but if not I want to note that we do not drill injectors. The reasons are numerous and deserving of an entirely separate article. For now though, I'll just make it clear that we don't.

Thanks

Paul Yaw
    Injector Dynamics

I do believe that they are not perfect but I would rather see testing and data from an independent lab rather than people who can profit from the testing.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

The problem is that aside from OEMs... Injector Dynamics is the only company capable of doing it. That alone should tell you how full of crap the idea about drilled injectors not changing is.

I just want to take a second to say that the guys from ID (I have been dealing with Tony) are the best, by far, guys to work with on getting injectors to work correctly.

I am installing a set of ID1000's on my 3800 This weekend and Tony was emailing me pretty late last night to get me the tables I need to just drop those babys in and go.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Injector Dynamics View Post
    I think it's clear, but if not I want to note that we do not drill injectors. The reasons are numerous and deserving of an entirely separate article. For now though, I'll just make it clear that we don't.

Thanks

Paul Yaw
    Injector Dynamics
    Pauls here,there goes the neighborhood! How's my "Detroit smoking buddy" doing?
    -John

Hey John.

Finally pulled my head out and quit that nasty habit. Now I'm grumpier than ever.

To 69lt1bird, I would like to point out that I didn't use the article to say that drilled injectors were bad, (That's a separate article...) but to dispell the myth that their dynamic response remains unchanged after drilling.

We (Injector Dynamics) have made our name by backing up our claims with data, and a willingness to defend our position with facts.

If you have any questions or concerns about the article, I would be happy to answer here on a public forum.

In any case, I'm glad you took the time to read it, and I hope you got something out of it.

Paul Yaw
    Injector Dynamics
    Last edited by Injector Dynamics; 03-05-2011 at 10:39 PM.

What the....? It takes common sense to not know that when you re-drill an injector every aspect changes in how it performs. I should've done more research, but I didn't even know people were doing this without taking all the injector tables into consideration. Hell, why else would HP Tuners include the Pulsewidth tables in their program, if they weren't meant to be changed to accommodate your new injectors?
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Advanced Tuner
    I am running LS2 injectors redrilled to 60#. My ID1000's just came in with my HOB fuel system. Just waiting for the data to find its way into my mailbox. Going to swap these bad boys in and see what all the hype is about, then go ahead and install the fuel kit.

Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    I am running LS2 injectors redrilled to 60#. My ID1000's just came in with my HOB fuel system. Just waiting for the data to find its way into my mailbox. Going to swap these bad boys in and see what all the hype is about, then go ahead and install the fuel kit.
    Any results yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ctd View Post
    Any results yet?
    Carl started another thread about how well they work.

Got it Thanks.

I just spoke with Mitchel regarding my application.

Senior Tuner
    I don't know about you guys but my biggest beef with drilled injectors is that they do not flow as advertised. We just had a set of 55's (rated at 4 bar) max out on a 2010 camaro at 540rwhp at the tire.. Fuel pressure at the rail at the top of the pull was 56# Think about that. I can't tell how many times we've taken 42's to the mid-high 500's @ 3 bar in other manual cars.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs