Thread: pinched knock sensor wires casue kr* in logs?

Advanced Tuner

pinched knock sensor wires casue kr* in logs?

I thought I read last year somewhere in my searches that if you have a pinched/shorting wire for the knock sensors that it will show KR* always at 4K. It was said this was GM's way of alerting mechanic/tuner that this was happening because it always showed at 4k when happening.
    I ask because sometimes I show KR at 4k and only 4k and never anywhere else no matter what timing I have in those cells or higher octane. Burst knock tables dont show anything ever. I checked sensors by bumping timing up and got KR* through different cells so I know they are working....

Im not really bothered about it tune/safety wise as it lasts a split second but im really trying to see if this is actually true.
    Last edited by Z06SUPERCHARGED; 02-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.

If it pinches or shorts it fails to max retard in PE and throws a code, from what I have seen.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Disconnect the knock harness temporarily and check with ohm meter....should read roughly 99 ohms if its the same sensors as my LS6.

Edit: Also the grounding is particularly sensitive and important for the sensors. I did my trans in/out a while back and got a painted bracket in between the block and the ground. Even though its the same bolt, it caused me low signal issues until I figured out the KS were good and got the ground directly on the block again. Grounds should be clean, not broken, and secure. cheers
    Last edited by seven ends; 02-28-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Add note about grounding.
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

Remember proper torque for these as well. 15ft/lbs only for both the LS1/6 style and the newer LS2/3/7/9. Their sensitivity is effected if they aren't torque properly.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com