Thread: Timing for 125 HP Nitrous Shot

Potential Tuner

Timing for 125 HP Nitrous Shot

I am very new to ECM tuning. I have a 2002 LQ4 6.0 in my 1995 Chevy C1500 which I go drag racing on occasion. I have used a 75 wet shot on the stock tune many times with no problems. I want to bump up to a 125 shot and my nitrous kit says I need to retard the timing 6 degrees to safely avoid detonation. I bought my software just the other day and have been exploring the spark tables. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to change my timing at WOT for nitrous use???
    Thanks,
    Scott

Advanced Tuner
    well the easiest thing to do as you only use it on rare occasion would be to retard the timing 4* with VCM scanner on the runs with nitrous

Advanced Tuner
    I had an idea, Can you not add your -6° of timing to the IAT Spark Advance? Pending of course how your Nitrous kit is set up and if it hits the IAT sensor.

in the -10°C column for example (just the coldest column), (we know n20 is colder than that) so, when IATs drop timing is pulled.

But maybe you have direct port n20 injection or your after your IAT sensor, then this would not work.

Potential Tuner
    Retarding the timing in Scanner seems like the best option. Didn't even think to look there.
    Adding the -6* to IAT Spark Advance is an interesting idea, but my nitrous and gas injects after the MAF and IAT sensor.
    Thanks

Pull more than 6* and add it back to get the plugs right. I had to pull 11* for a 150 on my camaro and 9* out on a 6.0 TA I had on a 150. Every motor is different based on heads, flow and cam just to name a few so pull extra out to be safe and then add it back in in increments.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400