Thread: Colbalt SS header glows in 1 minute

Tuner

Colbalt SS header glows in 1 minute

I have a friend that has a 06 Colbalt SS that is stock.He's been trying to get it going for a while now.It started to run pig rich when he started it one morning .From what I'm told,it's not showing any trouble codes,changed a bunch of sensors(i can find out which ones).
    And when it's starts,he lets it idle for a minute or so,he has to keep his foot on the gas pedal .the exhaust manifold starts glowing......He also recently changed the manifold to a header and a aftermarket cat(only mod.that he did). Same results.I haven't had a chance to check it out up close.Anyway he's thinking it may be the ECM that is fried,but I downloaded the ECM file with no issues,and can read it no problem.I'll check it out with my scanner and also log with HP to see if I see something weird.
    Anybody seen this before,any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Only thing I can think of that would make the header glow like that would be a ton of timing retard. I cant think of anything that would fuck up timing that bad and not throw a code. Maybe the crank position sensor is bad/confused/semi shorted/not plugged in all the way/likes the color pink.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Advanced Tuner
    put the stock manifold back on.

ummm im just guessing but a bad cat will cause detonation which will cause it to run rich because its not burning all the fuel. My 85 celica with a 22re did this because of the cat so just throwing it out there it is possible.
    2009 chevy cobalt ss turd. to many mods to list and to many problems to fix...... errr previous owner

Advanced Tuner
    When I had my cams in it would pull to -5 degrees of timing. I had it running for a few minutes and the header was red, I tried tuning it out but couldnt get it to want to run at normal timing so I switch back to stock cams and runs fine now.

Advanced Tuner
    Could be a plugged catalytic converter, or extremely rich condition. And extremely rich will plug the cat in the long run too.

Most likely running too rich. Either a stuck injector, bad tune, bad plugs, bad sensor was the original culprit but now could be a couple different problems.