Thread: 0411 PCM swap questions

0411 PCM swap questions

Hey all -

I'm currently knee-deep in a project truck...a 1990 Suburban 2500 4x4 that is getting a Vortec 350 transplant. This is also including the Vortec manifold/fuel injection being operated by the 0411 PCM sourced from the '02 Express van.

Seeings how I am trying to get a *slight* increase of fuel mileage out of a 6,000 pound beast, I'd like to implement a few things. Biggest change I'd like to do is adding electric fans and have the PCM control them. Is it possible to turn this feature on through the tuner, or will a custom code need to be done?

Thanks, Brad

should be able to turn them on..

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Advanced Tuner
    The 0411 will control the fans. With the beta, you will be able to control fan #2 as well.

I was thinking that the PCM is capable of doing that...but does the Express van bin file allow it to?

My line of thought when I asked this question...a PCM flashed with an L36 bin file won't control (at least in my experience) the boost control solenoid that a supercharged 3800 needs, the L67 bin file does control that...but yet both use the same PCM.

It's my understanding that the Express vans use the old thermostatic clutch fans, and if they do I would think GM in its infinite wisdom would not code the bin file to support electric fans.

Figured it out...I downloaded a bin to take a look, and it looks like they can be enabled regardless of what was originally equipped.

Next question...this engine will initially be behind a TH400/3L80. There is no gear selection switch, and no solenoids at all other than converter lockup. Would the easy route be just to mimic the manual transmission setup, and if so, will I lose the torque converter lockup?

*Blows dust off*

Alright, much has changed with this project, and as such questions have surfaced. Somehow I think I'm getting into unexplored territory though, but I hope someone can at least point me in the right direction...

First the setup...SBC 350, Vortec short block including the crank sensor, Vortec dizzy (three wires, cam sensor only), L98 intake system, TBI/TPI heads, 0411 PCM w/Express Van OS. Plan on running EGR and primary O2s. TH400 (or 3L80, however you want to see it) trans, since it was recently rebuilt.

Now for the questions...

1) Would like to run dual knock sensors on this, put the express van OS only utilizes 1. Any way I can enable the second circuit?

2) EGR...engine will be running the stock, regular EGR that was controlled through a solenoid. Express van OS runs the linear EGR. If I were to take just the EGR control wire, could it operated the solenoid? I'll be deleting the 5V ref, position signal, and ground.

3) The TH400 uses a switch/relay for WOT kickdown. Are there any outputs from the 0411 PCM I can use that will do the same thing? The original, 1990 TBI ecm actually did this, but this PCM will have to be set up as a manual. Which brings me to.....

4) Since this trans has no way to mount a full-fledged gear position switch (the most I can do is a P/N switch), it will have to be programmed as a manual. Does an OS for a manual-trans exist? If not, how easy would it be to modify the tables?

TIA

1) Knock gets propagated through the block very easily so a single knock sensor will suffice.
    2) Either run without or make an adapter to run the Linear EGR valve. The EGR system on the 0411 is designed around the Linear EGR valve.
    3) Some vehicles (yours may be one) have a 3-2 downshift switch on the throttle. If yours doesn't have one you may be able to procure one from a 1990 truck with a 400 like the 454SS. There may be an output on the 0411 that will duplicate the 3-2 downshift but I don't recall off the top of my head.
    4) The Park/Neutral switch is already wired and you just need to run it to your PCM. Then just look at a 99-02 Camaro with an automatic to get the settings. They will be located in the System section of the calibration. Also look at the Camaro wiring diagram for the pin necessary for the P/N switch.

The TH400 never had a lockup converter so you don't have to worry about that.
    Last edited by EC_Tune; 04-15-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Thanks for the reply. If I want to keep the EGR then, I'll have to modify an external setup (I might have a 3800 egr pedestal around somewhere), but finding a place to plumb into on the intake side might be an issue. I think I might be able to use the 9th injector location...won't know for certain until I get the whole engine reassembled.

Advanced Tuner
    96-98 trucks have a linear EGR, what type are you trying to run?

That's part of the problem. I'm running an L98 intake system, and it uses the old diaphragm EGR w/control solenoid. I would be running the Vortec upper, but damn those injection spiders are expensive

Advanced Tuner
    I guess I'll ask the obvious question. Why not just eliminate the EGR. You obviously have a highly modified engine, are you still required to have it for emissions?

No. I'm in Oklahoma too, so you know as well as I do what the emissions are here

However, that doesn't mean this rig won't someday be registered in a state where emissions are required. I think, for the interim, I'll run just the egr harness and leave it somewhere until I can think of a good solution for it.

And the engine isn't modified as much as it is Frankensteined...or is it Fraaankensteeened??

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I meant modified in the sense that it isn't the original engine. Ditch the EGR, the intake will stay much cleaner without it.

--Abby Normal

Advanced Tuner
    ditch the egr headache. got my 92 chevy running a 90 block with vortec crank and balancer, and dizzy. 92 tpi for intake. aluminum heads off a 86 corvette and flat top postions. with the 411pcm and a 4l60. take a look at thirdgen. org and find alot of info there

does the 0411 ECM control the FANS when A/C is running? if so how did you get it to work?

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't hooked up with fans yet

Quote Originally Posted by wyochimneysweep View Post
    ditch the egr headache. got my 92 chevy running a 90 block with vortec crank and balancer, and dizzy. 92 tpi for intake. aluminum heads off a 86 corvette and flat top postions. with the 411pcm and a 4l60. take a look at thirdgen. org and find alot of info there
    That's damn near the setup I'll be running. Are you running the vortec crank sensor as well? What kind of power and streetability are you seeing?

Tuner
    do u have a tune file u can share wyochimneysweep?