Thread: changing VIN not working

Tuner in Training

changing VIN not working

I have a client with an 02 ls1 in a 99 z28. I have already been working on the tuning, but now I need to change the VIN for smog. When I open the change VIN tab it gives me a "not licensed" error screen. It doesn't give me a chance to get to the screen where I enter the new VIN.

Tuner in Training

I reread a bunch of the posts under the "search" function. I think I might be misunderstanding what "change Vin" is for although it looks self explanatory...

Can HPT change VIN's?

Of course it can, but you need to have a license to write to the PCM.
    No license=no changes allowed, not even a single byte

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Our help file has a pretty good explanation of most features including this one http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...change_vin.htm

Change VIN Rules
    The following checks are in place when using the Change VIN function:
    • You must have support for the vehicle you are modifying.
    • You must have support for the new VIN you are trying to write.
    • The new VIN must be valid and must qualify for the OS currently found on the VCM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by ivmotorsports View Post
    I have a client with an 02 ls1 in a 99 z28. I have already been working on the tuning, but now I need to change the VIN for smog. When I open the change VIN tab it gives me a "not licensed" error screen. It doesn't give me a chance to get to the screen where I enter the new VIN.
    This does not sound like a reason to change a VIN... small differences aside, for all practical purposes it's the same engine. The car doesn't become an 02 because it got an 02 longblock.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Our help file has a pretty good explanation of most features including this one http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...change_vin.htm
    I read and reread this explanation. The vehicle is licensed, I have been working on the tune. When I click on the change tune option the error screen comes up before the new vin entry screen. I rewrote the full tune and tried again just to make sure nothing on the car had changed.

The ecm is from the 02, it doesn't match the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ivmotorsports View Post

The ecm is from the 02, it doesn't match the car.
    your first post says it's an 02 LS1 in a 99. I take that as an 02 LS1 engine in a 99 car. If that was supposed to be an 02 PCM in his 99 car, then just reflash the PCM with a fitting 99 file, move in your pertinent tuning, and you can update it to his VIN.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    I was trying to avoid licensing the car again.

Thanks for your time.

You aren't going to be able to change the VIN from a 2002 OS to match a 1999 OS, The VIN/OS pairing are a part of licensing and can't be changed the way you are looking with HPTuner's.

If you get 100% done with the PCM side I can change the VIN for you. Since you can't flash in a file with a mixed VIN/OS pair, I have to have the PCM in hand. The rub is that in the future, if you want to do more tuning, you will have to do a write entire back to it since you will be unable to re-flash the mixed file.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    I wasn't aware the 99 and the 02 were a different OS. I had the ecm reflashed with the 99 os and will have the tuning transfered shortly. Again thank you for the explanation.