Thread: dynamic cylinder air and shift points question

Tuner in Training

dynamic cylinder air and shift points question

hello...
    i noticed after 6200 my dyn cyl air starts dropping from 1 untill it reaches .87 at 7000rpm...
    how does dynamic air correlate with power output.. does it mean i'm losing way too much power taking it to this high rpm? should i shift sooner?
    the only reason i'm pushing it this hard is because its an A4 with a 308 diffrential so after my 2nd to 3rd shift my rpm drops way too low to around 4300 so i thought maybe taking the 2nd gear higher would help
    what do you guys think?
    could the drop in my dyn air be caused by my stock small maf?

this logged run is during maf tuning so the ve is disabled by setting dynamic airflow high rpm disable to 200rpm

its a 2004gto
    l98 engine 408 stroker
    l92 heads
    102 fast manifold and 92 TB
    AEM bruteforce intake for the ls2 but i changed the filter because it was too large for my maf
    Last edited by spunky602; 02-07-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Bump Would like to hear someone's take on this

Quote Originally Posted by spunky602 View Post
    hello...
    i noticed after 6200 my dyn cyl air starts dropping from 1 untill it reaches .87 at 7000rpm...
    how does dynamic air correlate with power output.. does it mean i'm losing way too much power taking it to this high rpm? should i shift sooner?
    the only reason i'm pushing it this hard is because its an A4 with a 308 diffrential so after my 2nd to 3rd shift my rpm drops way too low to around 4300 so i thought maybe taking the 2nd gear higher would help
    what do you guys think?
    could the drop in my dyn air be caused by my stock small maf?

this logged run is during maf tuning so the ve is disabled by setting dynamic airflow high rpm disable to 200rpm

its a 2004gto
    l98 engine 408 stroker
    l92 heads
    102 fast manifold and 92 TB
    AEM bruteforce intake for the ls2 but i changed the filter because it was too large for my maf

Generally, you choose a shift point in a gear by looking at where the torque multiplied in that gear becomes less then the torque multiplied in the next gear where you land after the shift, but i'm boosted and was wondering the same.

The cylinder airmass g/cyl follows the torque curve of the engine, so it will be lower after peak torque. The dynamic airflow g/sec follows the horsepower of the engine.

Russ Kemp

Russ,
    My g/cyl falls after 5600 ever so slowly, should I be shifting in that area for best ET's? T70 4.8 setup.

Thanks.......

SD tune by the way......no Dynamic Airflow.
    Russ?

Senior Tuner
    Cylinder air mass fades due to inlet restriction and exhaust
    stack-up. (Inlet-outlet) pressure is a primary term in VE.
    Torque pretty much follows air mass while HP follows air
    mass flow.

Quote Originally Posted by DWC View Post
    SD tune by the way......no Dynamic Airflow.
    Russ?
    Just add the dynamic airflow pid. You don't shift at peak torque, shift 200-500 rpm above peak Hp or what ever gives the best MPH/ET.
    Russ Kemp

Cannot get the PID to work, isn't the Dynamic Airflow PID a filtered version of the MAF PID? Will it work with no MAF and running SD?
    Thanks,
    DWC

IF your running SD you NEED TO RUN dynamic Airflow that how you see flow in SD, should be able to add it in the scanner, helps to delete all MAF PIDS.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Also worth mentioning if Dynamic Airflow decreases in g/sec up top your most likely lean, another thing to look for is if g/cyl follows load, but also fueling. IF you want to try this out throw a BUNCH of fuel at one and look and see what g/cyl does.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

I'd like to get with you at the track soon and try to add the Dynamic Airflow. I have it loaded, but can not get it to work. The only way to scan SD is to have the MAF PID's deleted or it will through everything off. I'm working with a boost controller now to get things steady, trans is still weak as well, going to try to end the season with this one. Great job on Tyler's rig sir........