Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Barnhill's Virtual Dyno with HP Tuners

background pic was when i dynoed with just an intake in 3rd

the new one has a raised rev limit, leaned out(too much/unfinished pe table), and about 2-3* more timing only at the top, back to stock intake, with a long tube header(primaries are too big for such low boost) in 2nd gear on a 1/2way decent road...

plan to finish this tune, get a good clean pull and then put the bone stock tune on and do a pull to really see what difference i was able to make, and then finally the bigger blower will go on lol

Caution:Slow Learner

Tuner in Training
    WOW.. 18 pages lol. Soooo.. what do you guys think of barnhill's virtual dyno?

Would you say pretty accurate and enough to save some money and give the dynojet some rest?

Advanced Tuner
    Depends on what you want to get out of going to the dyno. Numbers to brag to your freinds, I wouldnt use these. But if you're trying to tune spark advance and are pushing for more power you can get a very accurate comparison with this if you use the same exact piece of road every time.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXXER View Post
    WOW.. 18 pages lol. Soooo.. what do you guys think of barnhill's virtual dyno?

Would you say pretty accurate and enough to save some money and give the dynojet some rest?
    Page #8 and post 145:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=145

This is the engine dyno power curve:

from this dyno session (click on the image):

On 03/21/11 I went on my usual private road, flat with no elevation on 3 miles, recorded my DA with the stationary weather station, weighted the car before the run ( I know it's not on the light side...), and launched my 4th gear WOT from ~2500 rpm to ~ 7250 rpm...all temperatures monitored.
    For this purpose the car was tune in "race trim" which is not something I would run everyday...

The results from Brad Virtual Dyno are making sense to me as the drive-train loss on the Dynojet was 64 RWHP...adding that amount to the power curve below and we are pretty close of the engine power...
    Nonetheless, the power difference above 6500 rpm is certainly a consequence of the full racing open headers on dyno and no air filter, versus a complete full exhaust and air filter in vivo...just my guess!!!
    Obviously, those are SAE corrected numbers:

Now, let's speak of the real measured power to the groung this precise day, and have a look to this power curve not corrected:

Again it is making a complete sense as now we can analyse my usual time sheet for this run...the starting speed is ~66 mph @ ~3000 rpm at the start of the run and ~159 mph @ ~7250 rpm by the end of the run, GPS measured:

I find this software easy to work with, repeatable, and makes the analyse so convenient on the dot...and it gives the all community the opportunity to compare and overlay our engine data with a lot of accuracy.

Christian

418Ci TEC Assembled/ ETP-FTI Prep/ FTI "Barbara Streisand" Cam 664 HP Pump Gas.
    Losers can always explain why...as winners never explain how...
    What makes a Top Performer Human is the mistake…What makes him the greatest is his ability to repair it

Well thank you again Christian for the praise. Hope you find each version gets just a bit better.

Here is to keeping ya salivating for the next version.

Keep in mind this isnt just used on HP Tuners ... its working for 28 different loggers and more are being added all the time. This allows for comparison between cars, makes and models.

Keep using it guys and Ill keep making improvements.
    Brad Barnhill

VIRTUAL DYNO
    The ONLY way to graph your runs.
    Click here to donate

Does anyone have any EFI logs? I want to support those logs too but the only one Ive seen that was an EFI log showed no headers in the file. That is completely useless. Let me know if ya have any. Thanks.
    Brad Barnhill

VIRTUAL DYNO
    Click here to donate

Also if anyone has any Diablosport, SCT, Bully Dog, Hypertech, Superchips logs from their handhelds let me know as well.

Thanks,
    Brad Barnhill

VIRTUAL DYNO
    Click here to donate

Advanced Tuner
    Great app mate, will this support Australian built vehicles or do you know anything that does?

It will support what ever I get definitions for If you want me to add any vehicles I can send you the format I need the info in and then we can get the vehicles supported for all our australian brothers All I have to do is add them to the definition files and push out an update and your apps will auto update with the new definitions.
    Brad Barnhill

VIRTUAL DYNO
    Click here to donate

Advanced Tuner
    That would be great, can you pm me more info please as Im think this would be a great tool in addition to the datalogger.

small suggestion for the program(no idea how much work it'd take)
    but
    add a "crop" feature after you select the background image would be nice

Just released 1.1.6 .... enjoy.
    Brad Barnhill

VIRTUAL DYNO
    Click here to donate

Advanced Tuner
    I just downloaded 1.1.6 and is seems to work well. I have a couple questions about using it.

How to I change the RPM on the X axis so that I can see a larger range? Can that be user defined?

Also, how do I create a custom profile for a car that is not currently listed in the profiles?

Advanced Tuner
    third question: Is there an easy way to isolate one pull from a hpl log? Usually in a log there will be WOT through multiple gears, and I would like to isolate it to just a particular set of data.

That would be extremely helpful for me. Thank you!

i am having problems with 1.1.6

it wont open unless i run the setup/installer

the new window to log more parameters gives me an error when i try to log things vs time(rpm works fine) and the plot points pop up window cuts off the info from view when you run the mouse over point near the right of the window no matter what size i make the window

i can no longer drag and drop my .csv files to into the program. i can only load the run files by going through the menu at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    I just downloaded 1.1.6 and is seems to work well. I have a couple questions about using it.

How to I change the RPM on the X axis so that I can see a larger range? Can that be user defined?
    It wont show a larger rpm range than the rpm that are in the log.

Also, how do I create a custom profile for a car that is not currently listed in the profiles?
    Top of the winddow. "Profiles" drop down menu. "Add Profile" Green plus sign to the left of it. This menu pops up.
    Enter the info you want. To rename the profile, click/drag/highlight the current title and type what ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    third question: Is there an easy way to isolate one pull from a hpl log? Usually in a log there will be WOT through multiple gears, and I would like to isolate it to just a particular set of data.

That would be extremely helpful for me. Thank you!
    Only way i have found is to manually go through the data in the spread sheet and separate them all into their own file.

you can also individually select smoothing and profile per run file by left clicking the top of the run file. you can use the bars on the bottom of the files to trim the lowest and highest data for each file
    custom background image(which i have only used for a comparison to my actual dyno sheets from the past)

Advanced Tuner
    Here are 2 cars (different models of the same car) that I would like to have added to the Virtual Dyno. Trying to contribute I guess.

<CarMake>Buick</CarMake>
    <CarModel>Regal LS</CarModel>
    <CarSubModel>Sedan</CarSubModel>
    <StartYear>1997</StartYear>
    <EndYear>2004</EndYear>
    <Weight>3447</Weight>
    <TransTypeManual>false</TransTypeManual>
    <TransGear2>1.57</TransGear2>
    <TransGear3>1.00</TransGear3>
    <TransGear4>0.71</TransGear4>
    <FinalGearRatio>3.05</FinalGearRatio>
    <DragCoefficient>0.36</DragCoefficient>
    <FrontalArea>23.2</FrontalArea>
    <TireDiameter>26.63</TireDiameter>

-AND-

<CarMake>Buick</CarMake>
    <CarModel>Regal GS</CarModel>
    <CarSubModel>Sedan</CarSubModel>
    <StartYear>1997</StartYear>
    <EndYear>2004</EndYear>
    <Weight>3562</Weight>
    <TransTypeManual>false</TransTypeManual>
    <TransGear2>1.57</TransGear2>
    <TransGear3>1.00</TransGear3>
    <TransGear4>0.71</TransGear4>
    <FinalGearRatio>2.93</FinalGearRatio>
    <DragCoefficient>0.36</DragCoefficient>
    <FrontalArea>23.2</FrontalArea>
    <TireDiameter>26.63</TireDiameter>

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RooTBeeR View Post
    That's a nice smooth LSJ graph. What are your basic mods?

well that red one was 3" cai, bkr7e's, option b kit + dual pass, ottp long tube header, blown out high flow cat, 3x30" blown out cherry bomb resonator, stock axle back

blue run was just my second or third pull from dialing in my maf after i put the tvs back on so i had no timing in it(11.5* at the top)
    Last edited by RooTBeeR; 01-14-2012 at 09:05 PM.