Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Brad Barnhill's Virtual Dyno with HP Tuners

Potential Tuner
    Any info on this I'm having the same issue with 3.0

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog1325 View Post
    I must be doing something wrong I'm running beta 2.25 scanner and it keeps telling me that I don't have the proper info entered I have the exact names of the tps and rpm per what it says in the csv file and I'm using engine run time are you guys using something different for time?

I finally got it working with a log from V3 but you have to strip out a lot of stuff and change the headers to exactly match what it's looking for.. with some simple changes from the software creator it could easily use exported logs right out of HPT V3.

I'm not sure that it's still being developed though? The link in the creators signature no longer works
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

played with this tonight and found pretty easy work around to get it working again with HPTuners v3.2.24 and Virtual Dyno v1.3.1

1) export log from scanner as a .csv
    2) open the export log in Excel (I'm on a mac using 2011 v14.6.5)
    3) edit row 14, column A from "[Channel Information]" to "[Data]"
    4) delete the entire row 15 (do not leave a blank row, delete it entirely)
    5) edit row 16, column A from "Offset" to "Time"
    6) save the file as a 'Windows .csv' file (may not be necessary on a Windows machine)
    7) open the new file in Virtual Dyno

Far from ideal, but it works and is not very time consuming once you get it down.

a few notes:
    * sometimes, once Virtual Dyno has decided that a log file is no good, correcting the issue with the log file still results in the same error message. quit Virtual Dyno, reopen and try the corrected log file again.
    * if you have trouble with this method, i'd recommend exporting a Scanner log as a .csv file from Scanner 2.24, as it does work right out of the gate. open it Virtual Dyno to make sure it works. Then open it in Excel and save it as a different name. Make sure that file works as well. This is how I found I had to choose the 'Windows .csv' option. Again, this might not be needed on a Windows machine.
    Last edited by FunkedOut; 07-04-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: removed some steps that were not required
    2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6.2L L86, 6L80e - AFM disabled

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Funked, that works perfectly. One more step to check, is that your logged channels match the "columnames.xml" file (open V.D., go to Help -> Open Data Folder. Then open columnnames.xml and scroll down to the HPT section).

As of 1.31 V.D, open up excel (or notepad) and change/verify:

Your TPS channel is named "Throttle Position %", and the RPM channel changed to: "Engine RPM (SAE) rpm"

Edit: I wish you could edit the XML to match your scanner channels, but it reverts any changes made to the file when you open V.D.
    Last edited by soad85; 07-04-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Strange...
    I opened up <columnnames.xml> and in the HPT section:
    • Time is named 'Time'
    • RPM is named 'Engine RPM (SAE) rpm'
    • TPS is named 'Throttle Position (%)'

On my .csv files exported from Scanner:
    • Time is named 'Time' (after I rename it as part of my 7 step program listed above )
    • RPM is named 'Engine RPM'
    • TPS is named 'Throttle Position'

...but it still works like this.

It must be interpreting the log as some other scanner software log.
    Maybe it looks for hits against any of the software packages listed in the <column names.xml>?
    At the very top of the list, there is a software package named 'Custom'
    You can add names to the 'Custom" package by clicking File > Options in VD and selecting the 'Columns and Profiles' tab.
    Add your names there and save the profile and it will always be in <columnnames.xml> when you start VD and associate those column names.
    As a matter of fact, if you add 'Offset' in the Time box, you can eliminate step 5 from my list above.
    2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6.2L L86, 6L80e - AFM disabled

Tuner in Training
    is it possible for some body to post their log file and a copy of the export file so I see what changes to do please.

Advanced Tuner
    Delete the entire top header so it is just CSV data eg what excel uses.

Advanced Tuner
    Also, although I never saw it stated, I believe you need to restrict the logging to only the parameters you NEED - or at least, to only a few parameters. When I tried with many, it just chokes on that, even though the ones it needs are there...

Speed
    RPM
    Throttle
    AFR if you wanted/had it
    IAT I also log

Are the most it needs I think(?)

kr D.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Tuner in Training
    Is everyone still having issues with the latest versions of HPtuners and Virtual Dyno? Wondering if they've been resolved.

Advanced Tuner
    I stopped trying, seems too inaccurate to trust it. You need so many controlled conditions you basically need to be on a dyno for it to work anyway.

Response

Quote Originally Posted by rolls View Post
    I stopped trying, seems too inaccurate to trust it. You need so many controlled conditions you basically need to be on a dyno for it to work anyway.
    I can help get it working guys. I cant check all the forums on a daily basis any more since I have a 18 month old. If you need something the facebook page is a good way to communicate with me about problems or things you need help with.

To address the accuracy issue I would challenge you to take your car to a dyno and then get a log on the street (like all my other critics) ... and Ill make a believer out of you. As far as I know you can NOT break the laws of physics so Ill bet with you that if you enter the data about your car accurately it will be pretty darn close. Ive got screenshots of a dyno run and a log from the same day showing a 1hp difference on a 701hp Evo. That was from a guy that I converted to VD.

If you take a log while on the dyno it will not be accurate ... VD factors in HP lost to drag as well given the proper frontal area. The data you have to enter in VD is not really that much. The hardest part is getting the frontal area and drag coefficient which arent that hard considering these days we have google.

Let me know if I can help get VD working with the newer HPT logs. Ill need an example log so if you can message me on facebook from the page with a log. https://www.facebook.com/VirtualDyno
    Brad Barnhill

VIRTUAL DYNO
    The ONLY way to graph your runs.
    Click here to donate

Advanced Tuner
    The problem I have is logging accurate data, I can't find a road smooth or flat enough. I also get some wheel spin which ruins my data. It isn't a problem so much with your program as it is a problem with getting good consistent data. I found I would get variances of up to 40% on the smoothest road I could find.

I'm sure with good data I would get an accurate result.

Yeah my only real complaint was it was a PITA getting the data in the right format for it to work. If we can just export a log and use it in VD it would be really neat to use, assuming you have a flat enough area to use for pulls..

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Brad - I sent you an example of a log from HPT 3.2 (on your facebook page). My email is embedded if you have questions.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Just an update. Brad told me he needed my log in CSV format (like a dummy, I gave him the HPL format). I exported a log into Excel today and forwarded it to Brad. He said that he will make the modifications to the headers so we can use VD without having to mod our headers.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

Tuner
    nice!

best regards

Did this ever get implemented? I tried using it a bit ago and it still was giving errors about not being able to find everything that was needed, i.e. time, RPM, throttle position

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

schpenxel - I provided Brad with some HPT data so he could make the appropriate header changes needed about a month or two ago. I tested it and gave him some feedback on it. I provided a log I took at the dragstrip, and his software failed. That was my error though. I was unaware that you can only use single gear logs. I have not had the opportunity to test it lately because of weather and free time. If there are fields missing or the software is misbehaving with HPT, the best way to contact Brad is through his FB page.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C

I'll shoot him some logs. I suspect that different channels/ECM's are going to have slightly different values in the headers so that may be making this more difficult than it could be. Not 100% sure of that though

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock