Thread: Spark tables, MTB, Load PID...

Spark tables, MTB, Load PID...

Hey guys,

I have been reading about spark advance tables and have seen a couple of ways of going about changing them. I have heard to increase until you reach knocking in certain cells and then back off (anywhere from 2-5 degrees) and call it a day. I have also heard that doing the process might not get you dialed in to the MTB or maximum brake torque. I have also heard that knock sensors aren't something you should trust entirely since there is false knock occasionally....

Anyways on to my main point. Somewhere in the forum I was reading about spark advance and came across a PID that calculated LOAD% or something to the effect of torque... therefore, is there a way to use the scanner to get a histogram that get you the max torque vs spark advance vs rpm? Therefore allowing you to dial in the best spark to get the MTB for that particular cell? Obviously, the best way to do it is a dyno, but not having the time nor money to spend on a dyno, would something like this be better than the "tuning until knock method"? Or is this something that is not possible? I was curious and would hope that this could clear up some muddy waters when it came to spark tables. I would also hope that someone with dyno experience could see if using such histogram would yield close results to the dyno (obviously if the histo is even possible). Hoping the veterans like EC_Tune, soundengineer, WS6FirebirdTA00 and the like would chime in with there $.02

Thanks!
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

And this post is open to anyone's reply!
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun