Thread: New to Diesel Tuning - Would like some eyeballs...

Tuner in Training

New to Diesel Tuning - Would like some eyeballs...

Hi, I just picked up a 2006 Silverado 2500HD LLY and it feels really strong but I've never owned a diesel before. Would some of the more experienced guys eyeball this file and tell me if its been tuned already or is this a stock LLY tune?

Can I take an LBZ tune and merge the differences to bring it up to LBZ power levels?

Thanks!

Jeff

Tuner in Training
    If it's a 2006, it is an LBZ.
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Replaced injectors @ 128k miles
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    3" intake bridge with 3" intercooler piping
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
    If it's a 2006, it is an LBZ.
    When I decoded the VIN the build sheet says it's an LLY. I think there are some early 06 LLY's that are essentially an LBZ but de-tuned. Can anyone verify this and look at the tune for me?

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Research either of these two sites:

http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/

What you're saying sounds vaguely familiar. Perhaps the hardware is that of an LLY, but the ECM has advanced tuning. At this stage in the game, I have found out, it's better and faster to do the research yourself because the guys with early model trucks like ours have already moved on to new trucks or they've gotten into more advanced type stuff.
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

Yes the early 06 "LLY" and later 06 onto early 07 LBZ's are the same truck physically/mechanically. The early 06 was just de-tuned. This is really the way to go because the previous owner wouldn't have been able to beat on the truck quite as hard if the tuning was stock. 310 hp vs. 360hp.

There should be some stock LBZ tunes in the repository iirc. You can compare and go from there...
    06 LBZ DMax / 6spd Allison 4x4 ACSB - Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | Holley HP150 / BD Filter setup | hood stack | Homebuilt IC pipes | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Black951's | Coolingmist stg1 | ISSpro | PPE | self lowered 3/5 | Roll Pan 12.6@105 5800ft (stock trans)
    02 WRX w/ STi 6spd - Self built/tuned Holset setup w/ a buttload of other goodies 11.75@119mph 4800ft (stock block) Built Motor finished!
    TJI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    I compared your file to mine, and you have more parameters. I'm pretty sure your ECM is that of the LBZ. Maybe it's detuned from the 360 HP, but you'd have to find out from someone with a 360 hp LBZ.
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

Tuner in Training
    The '06 LLY used the bosch ecm. The same is used on the LBZ and later LMM motors. The '06 LLY is simply a detuned LBZ and all of the mechanicals are identical to the LBZ. The '06 LLY is also backed by the 6spd Ally. GM created a lot of confusion with the early '06 LLY designation.
    Last edited by roy67ss; 02-03-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    Roy

2007 GMC 3500HD, Sinlge Rear, ECLB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4
    - PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls
    2005 Chev 2500HD CCSB, Duramax, Allison, 4x4,
    - LBZ mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, pyro and boost gauges