Thread: afr error % not populating.

afr error % not populating.

I have been working with a twin charged cobalt for some time now. Finally have the setup finished and driving and want to do some sd tuning. I have piped in the aem uego through the ac pressure switch to log afr in real time and have that being monitored in my histogram. the function string I used for that was ([PID.7100]/.5888)+11.2)
    now I understand this will not be exact to everyones formula as you have to adjust the adder (11.2 in this case) to compensate for ground faults and voltage drops. This all logs flawlessly. I am also logging commanded afr. Simple pid 6000 logs this. also sensor 121 does the same thing. I decided to go with pid 6000 as it spells out it is lo res commanded afr. Also hp tuners suggests using pid's rather than sensors whenever possible.
    The problem I am now running into is logging afr percent error. I have tried just about everything from use of sensors to pid's. here are the two function strings that will establish a histogram, but no data will load. User 9005 is my user defined aem uego function shown above.
    100*([USER.9005]-[PID.6000])/[PID.6000]
    and the next is
    100*([USER.9005]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121
    now the histogram I am using primary ve vs rpm vs map as my graphing. It all pulls up properly when connected to the 06 ss cobalt, but no infomation pulls. If I go to my table it shows my percent error perfectly. But it will not display any data in my histogram. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong here. I have messed with it till my brain hurts. I will attach a configuration and a scan so you can see what I am describing. I never had problems with the last 06 ss cobalt I did.

You're doing it wrong. It's OK, it's not intuative.

First off the user defined PIDs are kept in the "vcm scanner.cfg" file so no one can see yours without that file. Post that up so I can look at your user defined PIDs.

Second, what version of HPT are you using? 2.22 or some flavor of the 2.23 beta? 2.22 has a ~bug where it does not recognize user defined PIDs of wide bands piped in through the AC or EGR as an air fuel ratio sensor even if it is defined as such. So you need to define your own AFR Error PID which it looks like you're trying to do. If you are using 2.23 then the built in AFR Error PID works. If your on 2.22 then histo 9 would probably give you "unsupported parameter".

In looking at the histos it looks like you are using the filter to try and define your PIDs. Thats why you're not getting any data. The filter field is so you can filter out data so it does or doesn't show up in the histo. It's not where you would put your formulas. So histo 6 looks like it's displaying your user defined PID for the AEM UEGO against the VE table. But you have the formula for the AEM through the AC entered in the filter. Thats whats blowing it up. Clear out the filter field. Same thing with the #8 histo. The filter field would be used for things like not displaying data when in decel, so that would be [pid.11]>50 (only show data when MAP is greater than 50 kPa).
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Yea I have the user defined for the wideband. Basically the filter I put in is what my user defined formula. So basically I create my user defined and then filtered exactly what it is trying to log? Delete filter it should show. I will try that and let you know. I don't know how I overlooked that. I am using the 2.22 and user defined parameters. I just pasted the afr error user defined I created into filter aparently for no reason other than a headache. Thanks!

Right, whack the filters and it'll work. You're not using the filters right. The formulas for WB AFR and AFR Error are what you put in the user defined PIDs. Then you just use the histograms to plot those PIDs against the VE and/or MAF table. The histogram filters have nothing to do with the user defined PIDs. You only use filters to filter out data you do't want. Example: I run in closed loop but I am able to tune my WOT without forcing the tune into open loop by filtering out any closed loop data ([sens.121]<14) <-- commanded AFR is less than 14:1.
    Bill Winters

Awesome! This is not the first time you saved my ass! I really appreciate it all. Do you have a business I can get parts from or anything. I really appreciate the help.

No sweat. No, no business or anything. But you just gave me an idea....BeerPal. Send beer to anyone over the internet! Patent pending.
    Bill Winters

Crap. That URL is already taken.
    Bill Winters

Till its patented give me your paypal and I wil send you a "six pack"! Hahahahah.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having a simiar issue and in my search for help I found this post and read it several times and tried using a few different methods. I've also tried using both PID and SENS in the function section of the User Defined Config. I have Version 2.23.207 Beta. I'm attempting to use my WB to perform the calculation which is the AUX value in the equation.

My histo I've created is table 8.

Thanks.
    Last edited by QTB; 11-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Nissan 350Z ls2 swap
    Mods:6.0L, L92 heads (light porting), FTI solid roller cam: 236/247*, .636/.646, lsa115, 1-7/8 long tube headers, ls3 intake manifold, T56 magnum manual transmission.
    600Z build pics: http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/QTB33/Z33/

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    QTB you need to provide AT LEAST your scanner log as well.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, I'm a complete noob so if that's not the correct file let me know.
    Nissan 350Z ls2 swap
    Mods:6.0L, L92 heads (light porting), FTI solid roller cam: 236/247*, .636/.646, lsa115, 1-7/8 long tube headers, ls3 intake manifold, T56 magnum manual transmission.

Tuner in Training
    Okay it didn't let me upload the file I thought you needed.
    Nissan 350Z ls2 swap

Tuner in Training
    Let's try this again....
    Nissan 350Z ls2 swap

Your not logging the commanded AFR.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I figured it was something easy. I'll give a shot tomorrow.
    Nissan 350Z ls2 swap