Thread: Throttle map safe?

Potential Tuner

Throttle map safe?

One of the first things I wanted to change after I got this was the throttle map. I hate the way the corvette is setup. The map has a lot of warnings about modifying it possibly killing the PCM though.

I would really like to map in more throttle sooner, I'm very used to the exact opposite to how the vette is setup where most of the actual throttle is at the end of the pedal travel.

Is this just them covering their butts or should I really not touch this at all? Has anyone tried it on a late model corvette?

I have a 2010 grandsport, manual.

Advanced Tuner
    ttt

we haven't had any reports of problems yet! Not to say you won't be the first... The main reason the throttle is mapped that way is so you can navigate parking lots and garages with ease...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    we haven't had any reports of problems yet! Not to say you won't be the first... The main reason the throttle is mapped that way is so you can navigate parking lots and garages with ease...
    Yea don't care about parking lots, lol.

Is the disclaimer just there because the particular map location hasn't been thoroughly tested/only recently found?

Any 2010-11 vettes that have modified it without issue?
    2010 Corvette grand sport Manual.

the disclaimer is there because on older vehicles (eg. some LS1's) if you changed this table too much it could trigger permanent failure modes due to the TAC module.

I have not heard of this problem with newer ECM's 2006+ but the warning still stands. The other reason for such a warning is to indicate to people that this table is critical for operation of the vehicle and to think seriously before modifying it. For example setting it all to 100% "because it looked like a torque management table" is not a good idea...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    the disclaimer is there because on older vehicles (eg. some LS1's) if you changed this table too much it could trigger permanent failure modes due to the TAC module.

I have not heard of this problem with newer ECM's 2006+ but the warning still stands. The other reason for such a warning is to indicate to people that this table is critical for operation of the vehicle and to think seriously before modifying it. For example setting it all to 100% "because it looked like a torque management table" is not a good idea...
    Thanks a lot.

One last thing, the table is pedal position by engine speed. Are the values in the table requested throttle angle or % off total cross section area?

Advanced Tuner
    Hey it's been awhile since I messed with the Desired Throttle Area tables, which by the way were some of the BEST and it looks like little known additions to the software. Those tables fixed a throttle mapping problem I've had for years!

I did find one issue, on the particular OS (E38, 12617631) I was working on changing the "axis type" from VSS to RPM did put it into reduced power mode. Switching it back stock, which was VSS, fixed the reduced power mode so no permanent damage was caused. I did move the "Desired Throttle Area" map numbers around after that with no problems and good results. THANKS CHRIS and BILL!

I know this is kind of a beta issue, but I figured it related to the OP's post and would be helpful to others. I didn't really think it was a problem with the beta anyway, just a limitation in the particular OS?

the values are % throttle area
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Unfortunately it put it into reduced power mode and service active handling and such.

Tuner in Training
    vettetuning, i tried it too with the same result. maybe all 3 tables have to match or maybe theres some diagonstic test that has to be disabled. or im thinking that maybe the scanner pid is wrong and that the pedal is really not operating until 15% or so or may sit higher. another theory is that the table means desired throttle, and that changing all the zeros that are in there forces the car to crack the throttle during idle and run lean.

Has anyone had success in making these tables work to cure the sluggish throttle response our cars were built with?
    2005 Vert Z51 MZ6
    Horsepower Sales 954-984-8040
    4:10's, FAST 92, A/R Headers w/cats, G5x3, .040 gaskets AFR 205 heads ORIG CLUTCH
    472rwhp/414rwtq
    Best pre-cam:1/4-1.730, [email protected]
    Best w-cam, pre-FAST 1/4-1.666, [email protected]
    Best w-cam & FAST 1/4-1.519, [email protected] DA-793
    Best w-cam & AFR heads 1/4-1.445, [email protected] DA-581 1/8-1.445, [email protected] DA-581
    Top speed 185 (so far...) 0-60 mph 2.59 sec (track)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUX3UNFl124

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_G View Post
    Has anyone had success in making these tables work to cure the sluggish throttle response our cars were built with?
    too much of tampering here led my G8 into reduced power mode. luckily I had the lap top and hp tuners in the car. It did not permanently hurt the pcm.