Thread: Extent of wideband-less tuning?

Tuner in Training

Extent of wideband-less tuning?

Hi, my name of Thomas, and I just bought HP Tuners recently. I'm reading as much as I can, but there is one large buffer for me. My car has a completely stock exhaust system, so there is no place for a wideband. I do own an AEM UEGO Wideband, but I don't know how I could hook it up to my system without any welding.

Also, if I absolutely need it's input to get it HP Tuners working properly, could I delete the rear O2 sensors and put the wideband in one of those holes instead?

I apologize for my ignorance, but I am trying to learn.

You can replace the front O2 IF your wideband has a narrowband output. Without the narrowband output the car will stay in open loop which will throw off everything. It usually isn't a big deal to get an O2 bung and have a shop weld it into the downpipe.

Having a wideband isn't absolutely necessary to tuning but if you don't have one it will limit what you can "safetly" modify. You can still modify spark tables and torque management settings without a wideband. I wouldn't mess with any fueling changes without a wideband though.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rnjmur View Post
    You can replace the front O2 IF your wideband has a narrowband output. Without the narrowband output the car will stay in open loop which will throw off everything. It usually isn't a big deal to get an O2 bung and have a shop weld it into the downpipe.

Having a wideband isn't absolutely necessary to tuning but if you don't have one it will limit what you can "safetly" modify. You can still modify spark tables and torque management settings without a wideband. I wouldn't mess with any fueling changes without a wideband though.
    Alright, well I might as well just bite the $4 bullet and get the bung. My best friend's dad is my car mentor, as well as a local shop owner, so I might as well do it there.

yea, you can put the wideband after the cat in the old post cat o2 spot...helps if your cats are gone

Innovative lests you out put a narrowband signal and a widebad from the LM-1 using tow outputs.

You will need a wideband if you want to tune WOT and get the most out of your car.
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado SS
    L92 Heads/ L92 Truck Intake
    OBX LT Headers
    Custom Ridings 3200 Stall Converter/Built Trans
    6 Piston ZO6 Brakes/ 2 pc 15" Front rotors

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit View Post
    yea, you can put the wideband after the cat in the old post cat o2 spot...helps if your cats are gone

Innovative lests you out put a narrowband signal and a widebad from the LM-1 using tow outputs.

You will need a wideband if you want to tune WOT and get the most out of your car.
    Well, I'm not too concerned with keeping a narrowband output on the rear O2's anyway, since I'll probably just turn the codes off, since the cats are definitely going soon. Good thing my two best friends are taking a welding class at their college lol

Tuner in Training
    A little more info.
    I have a 2005 Chevy Cavalier and installed an Innovate LC-1 wideband controller. In the default configuration it has one output for the gauge and the other is configured for narrowband emulation. I installed this in place of the front O2 sensor and without any calibration my car seems to run better and at cruse my vacuum gauge reads 2 inches of Hg higher, meaning I am not pushing the throttle down as far to go the same speed. I also notice in the logs the NB output is not as spiky as a real NBO2 and has smoother digital curves.

Another advantage is the NB emulation is configurable so you can fool the O2 readings at closed loop which is the only way I see to modify the closed loop settings on my car.

I would definitely recommend a dual output NBO2 even if you plan to get rid of the rear O2 sensor.

FYI: Disabling the rear O2 will through a P0420 MIL code.