Thread: E15, would we have any benefits running this stuff at all?

Advanced Tuner

E15, would we have any benefits running this stuff at all?

I'd imagine mpg would go down.
    In theory gas stations would have an E15 label at the pump, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/additive/e15/

So i guess a change in AFR cell to 13.8 would suffice with the subsequent correction in MAF/VE etc.

Are they any benefits at all running E15 ?

Advanced Tuner
    less power, less gasmileage, if its still under the 93 octane level, then we wont see any gains from higher octane.

loose loose.

-Carl

Potential Tuner
    my understanding is most pump gas contains up to 10% ethanol anyway, to me it just seems like a waste of time...unless detenation was an issue?

------- 06 M6 CGM 18s
    - Pacesetters - Magnaflow Catback - Volant
    - RE040 - Koni - Lovells
    - Kircher - 6000k lows/fogs
    - Monster 3 - "2QWK4RU" Cyl - MGW-P
    - HP Tuners2.23b - LC-1

Advanced Tuner
    ethanol is a fabulous fuel for anyone who likes making power , unfortunately the e15 blend will likely be similar to the e10 where they blend it with the lowest octane gasoline and still end up in the 91-93 octane range for e15 premium.

ethanol has good charge cooling properties , I just dont know if the 5% increase will amount to a piss hole in the snow compared to the e10. by the time you get to 25% ethanol you will see some benefits come into play - go check the threads in the LNF section (I4, I5, I6 section) of the forum where the cobalt/hhr/solstice guys have been blending with real impressive results.

I have done some tuning on an L67 powered rock crawler and we run approx. e30 in it by blending e85 he gets at the closest pump 2 states away and are able to pulley down more than it could on pump premium safely and added timing to boot ! once we gain some headroom on his duty cycles with some bigger injectors we will increase the e% and pulley down further

summer blend e85 can make more power than 116 octane race gas - proven many times, but these low percentage blends turn a lot of people off to ethanol fuels unfortunately and I think that is all planned by the big oil companies , lots of misinformation out there since it doesnt come out of the ground in kuwait....

I wish we would just act like a free country and just go to blender pumps so if you dont care for ethanol you choose e0 , if you love ethanol you can choose e85 or e98 , if you want the benefits of ethanol but dont have the injectors and pump in place to run 85% or higher you could choose 30,40, 50 % etc..
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks everybody.

I used to run 2.5 gal of E85 with 14 gal of 91 in my 08 Subaru STI when it was fiarly stock. This gave me around 94 oct and I had the injector head room. It was much easier to avoid knock. Then I increased the injector size and went to a larger turbo and did full E85. It was very nice to tune with.

Now I am tuning for E85 in my G8 since we have large enough injectors for non FI/ non cam applications.

But pump E15 will be no better than current E10 as it will stay 91 oct but further reduce MPG.