Thread: Car won't start in the cold on first attempt

Tuner in Training

Car won't start in the cold on first attempt

After finally getting my tune decently dialed in, I am having problems with cold starts (as cold as -20* C). My car used to fire right up in the winter, but now it won't start on the first attempt. It gets up to about 1000-1100 RPM, and then dies. When I give it a second try, it starts right up. What should I change?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Does it do it on the stock tune as well?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Does it do it on the stock tune as well?
    The problem is I don't really have a "stock" tune. My car was originally naturally aspirated, and I supercharged it. I had a canned tune from a vender, and it never once had any cold start problems. Could it be the idle settings need to be set higher? Or fuel related? I'm not sure what to do.

Tuner in Training
    If you need help with looking at the tune shoot me a PM. Thanks Kevin

I would try to set the Coldstart values in "Initial vs. Startup ECT" to a higher value. This will add more fuel. I had the same problem when I played around with those values. Because I thought these values would be to high. But it seems that they need to be that high. After changing these values back to stock, the problem was solved.
    '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, 5.2L (Canada Import), 2" Lift
    (CAI, Modded Kegger, Ported TB, 3" Cat-Back, SCT Custom Tune)

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited ZG, 5.9 V8, Stock

'03 Skoda Fabia, 1.4L 16v

'98 Chevrolet Camaro V6, 3.8L, Targa, ZZP GT1 Cam, Dynomax Cat-Back [sold]

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZJ View Post
    I would try to set the Coldstart values in "Initial vs. Startup ECT" to a higher value. This will add more fuel. I had the same problem when I played around with those values. Because I thought these values would be to high. But it seems that they need to be that high. After changing these values back to stock, the problem was solved.
    I found much the same, it was too rich, but could not take out a lot. Be very gentle with those start up adders... lol

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys. I put all the startup tables to stock GTP settings, and it fired right up. It wasn't extremely cold this morning, so we'll have to see what it does at -15 and below.