Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I won't be buying another Gateway/Acer for a while

Potential Tuner
    I'll be installing windows 7 on my MAC hopefully I wont have any issues..

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Thanks for busting this myth for me. The owner a local computer build shop had told my friend and I that the actual parts in a Hateway or Hell had something like 5 times the failure rate compared to parts he uses. We thought he was just trying to make them look bad in order to hype up his own stuff & make a sale. Guess he was telling the truth! Far as Acer goes... bought their monitor(H233H)submodel GIANT-POS. The touch sensitive buttons don't always register, and it often won't recognize the 1080p input signal untill I power off/on again. Sony is starting to follow this trend too, just not with the price yet.

Tuner in Training
    I have had a 17.2"? HP for well over a year now. To this day I can get 4.5 hours of battery life out of it. Its never crashed on me before. 4GB Ram, 320GB HD, HDMI port, and full numbric pad Wouldnt trade it for anything and will deffantly buy HP again.

Advanced Tuner
    Ive had 3 HP laptops from 2007-now, the 4th just shipped today from their manufacturing plant in Shanghai.

The first one was bulletproof, only reason I had to get a new one was my roommate spilled water on it when I was sleeping. Was able to get all my data off the hard drives, lucked out big time! HP 17", Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 2x120gb hdd, GeForce 8600GT 512mb, 8cell, BluRay rom, Vista x64.

Second was its replacement, 17" but newer style. Im replacing it because I cracked the screen and the battery gets ~25min after 2.5years of heavy use. HP dv7-1175nr, 17", Core 2 Duo 2ghz, GeForce 9600M GT 512mb, 320gb hdd, 8 cell, BluRay rom, Vista x64 upgraded to W7 Ultimate x64 the day I got it.

Third is interesting, its a brand new HP dv6t Quad with the Core i7 Sandy Bridge. But since Intel f-ed up the chipset, it has to go back to HP for a refund. 15.6", Core i7-2630QM, 8gb ram, 640 7200rpm hdd, BluRay rom, ATi Radeon HD6570M 1gb, BluRay rom, 9+6 cell batts. Love it, backlit keyboards rock! But I miss the 17" screen...

Fourth is the actual replacement for #2, #3 turned out to be an interim laptop. HP dv7t Quad, 17.3", Core i7-2720QM 2.2ghz, 8gb ram, BluRay rom, AMD Radeon 6770M 1GB, 750gb hdd (ssd probably this summer), W7 Ultimate x64.

Might be a little overkill for a laptop, but hey Im in IT so it goes wherever I go!

Im a big HP fan, their customer support is ok but for me as long as its not a hardware issue (batteries dont count, LIon blows anyway) I can fix it. I have been surprised how little Ive had to do on any HP laptop.

Last HP desktop I had was a Celeron 700mHz, 128mb ram, first gen cd burner, integrated POS Intel graphics, ~80gb hdd. Was great for ~8 years of constant service, had 2 and 1 finally lost the power supply, second fried the mobo. I build my own desktops anyway, much better! Current one is an AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 8gb ddr3, ATi Radeon HD 5850 1GB, Asus mobo (they make the best on the market, period), Asus BluRay rom, Coolermaster case, 750w modular PSU. Its a beast!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTIVNM View Post
    I think i bought the same laptop you started the thread complaining about. The first one I had, ended up having bad pixel on the screen right out of the box. Took it back to best buy and they exchanged it because I had it less than their 14 day policy. New one seems to work fine except for having a continuing problem loading hpt on it. But I attribute that to win7 64 issues.
    I don't know. The replacement one I got seems to be working aok so far. Had it 4 months now.

Heck, I finally got hpt loaded on it and working now too.

Once it only charged to like 96%, and I thought, crap, I must have really gotten the same pos bill bought. But it has been charging to 100% ever since.

I started out looking to get an hp. Couldn't find one with what I wanted inside it on my budget, so I settled on the gateway. Thing is, my gateway has some really nice stuff in it for what I paid for it. The salesman told me the model was going away. I didn't think to ask, but i 'm pretty sure it was more expensive before the Christmas season and was marked down. Mine has a blueray player in it. None of the other gateways there had it. Not even the hp's or toshiba I was looking at for more money. Does your gateway have that bill? Trying figure out if we have the same one or not?
    Last edited by ANTIVNM; 04-22-2011 at 02:41 PM.

I've tried a few different Laptop's from an older P3 Dell Latitude to a couple P4 Toshiba's and later a dual core HP and every one of them had their own problems. I'll personally never buy another HP laptop again. The only good thing they produce was the netbook's which I use on occation since it's so small and battery life is so good. I primarily run a MacBook Pro 13" model and I run it with bootcamp so I could keep the Mac OS and also run Win7 Ultimate on a seperate partition. I'm in Window's 99% of the time due to my software only being compatible with Window's. It's been the best so far and by far the fastest as well!
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 04-23-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTIVNM View Post
    I think i bought the same laptop you started the thread complaining about. The first one I had, ended up having bad pixel on the screen right out of the box. Took it back to best buy and they exchanged it because I had it less than their 14 day policy. New one seems to work fine except for having a continuing problem loading hpt on it. But I attribute that to win7 64 issues.
    Would be funny if it were the "actual" computer Bill had and sent back. Sounds like it.(Just kidding) P.S. I had the same 7-64 issues. Once I installed the drivers and actually un-zipped them, I was up & atom. Look in Help Threads for others having an EXACT discription of what you're screen is showing, and you should find all you need.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 04-23-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I good............I have hpt working just fine now. Like you, I think if i remember, the problem was not unzipping them or something. Either, it's up and runniing just fine now.

As for my laptop, if it is the same one bill had/has, I think I'm apparently having better luck with mine than he did his. Sux for him, i like my laptop, with only exception being the shittty bronze color.

Figures too, now they come out with paltop that have interchangable lids. Son bitch, go figure! oooooooh well!

Tuner
    I've been through several laptops myself. The one that has impressed me the most is the Gateway FX, followed by an older Gateway (can't remember the name of it). If you get their desktop replacements, which are designed for gaming and are built simple yet rugged, they are the bomb. All the other models, I don't know about.

I will never buy an HP again...too many problems that were almost impossible to fix. The thing about the Best Buy service plan is that the 5th time you send it in, they replace it...so, if I had a backup laptop, it would be nice if they write up a different repair for everything that went wrong.

The Gateway FX is the first laptop that lasted me over six months without needing repaired...it was two years before I had any problems, which was just a battery and charger. It has had a USB port go bad.

Tuner in Training FourG63 97GST's Avatar
    my Acer screen took a poop few days after the 1yr warranty ran out, pretty convenient

- 02 Z06, LS2, Twin Turbo

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Well finally sent off & received back the gateway, the replaced the upper case, mainboard & battery so we'll see how this works out lol, unfortunately I'm used to my HP's 17.3" screen now so this thing seems tiny

Turnaround wasn't too bad on the warranty repairs, about 2 days in their possession before they shipped it back.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    15" hp pro book all the way... works great and its not too big nor too small. perfect to rest on center console while tuning. the best part is that i bought it for $350 from a friend brand new when at the time they were worth over $$$1,000

also guys i do any kind of pc or laptop repairs if anyone is having any trouble with theirs...

check me out at www.pcmetix.wordpress.com
    lol THIS IS NOT SPAM OR NOTHING

I haven't bought a gateway in YEARS...

I have a run-of-the-mill HP Laptop now and even now this is starting to show signs of aging. I'm pretty good about keeping the system clean and virus free, but this older dual-core AMD does NOT multi-task very well. My big rig downstairs will run circles around most rigs. (Liquid-cooled gaming rig).

But I have heard a lot of good about Dell customer support. My buddy's laptop kicked the bucket and Dell sent him a brand new Alienware gaming Laptop.... FREE...

I'm looking into Dell now for an i3 Intel rig. Or else it'll be another HP. I've had this one for years and the only thing that I've had a problem with is the power adapter to charge it. I've gone through three of them so far. They just go.. but I AM on this thing a LOT.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.

Tuner
    I have an HP Compaq 9420 that I have had for 4 years or so, I just recently replaced the battery but other than that it has been flawless. Never had any issues and does everything I need it to do.
    15 C7Z M7

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its now someone elses problem, was able to sell it on ebay for almost $200...it just sat here for the last year+, wish I had sold it sooner I might've been able to get a bit more for it lol
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

your making me nervous here. i just bought a new acer last week. i was tossed up between it and an hp, both around the $500 mark (canadian). i just didnt like the look and feel of the hp, plus the acer had a number pad. in the past acer desktops have always treated me well, hp not so much. the acer replaced my ibm thinkpad built in 2000. just for the record, a p3 733mhz with 256mb ram will run hp tuners, just dont try to scroll a data log in any hurry.

so far the acer has been good. tuned a bit this past weekend, got 4 hours on it and it still had 20% battery left. i dont spend 8 hours a day on it every day, so maybe itll be better that yours was
    2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged
    60lb injectors, 2.7" pulley, ported blower, dual pass intercooler with option B, cobra heat exchanger, devils own alcohol injection, clear image mid length header, 2 1/2" catless exhaust, zzp intake, powell motorsport "rotated" mounts, hurst shifter, Pedders springs, ss/tc struts, hawk pads and r1 rotors

best laptop I've ever owned was a Toshiba. That was several years ago now. I currently have a HP but I'm not impressed by it, it must be the slowest booting computer ever.
    2009 Sierra CCSB 5.3 A6 4X4
    2003 Silverado ECSB 4.Late/Auto SOLD

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    your making me nervous here. i just bought a new acer last week. i was tossed up between it and an hp, both around the $500 mark (canadian). i just didnt like the look and feel of the hp, plus the acer had a number pad. in the past acer desktops have always treated me well, hp not so much. the acer replaced my ibm thinkpad built in 2000. just for the record, a p3 733mhz with 256mb ram will run hp tuners, just dont try to scroll a data log in any hurry.

so far the acer has been good. tuned a bit this past weekend, got 4 hours on it and it still had 20% battery left. i dont spend 8 hours a day on it every day, so maybe itll be better that yours was
    I have an Acer 10.1" laptop. Battery runs down when not in use after about 4 or 5 days if left in. Has a constant drain. I sent it back trying to get it fixed but all they did was replace the battery. Didn't even read what I wrote. This was from day one. Junk! I bought another 10.1 Dell to replace. Has been flawless.

Tuner in Training
    Toshiba.....I've had mine for over 7 years. Its been threw hell, and is slow as shit sometimes, but it still works. I bought a Lenovo a few months back, but still use the Toshiba for...um...extra curricular activities.
    98 Trans Am, M6, 3.90's, Lid, Z06 MAF, LS6 intake, EGR & AIR delete, ARH LT's & ORY, Magnaflow CB, & a little giggle gas.
    I got 98 problems, but Vtec ain't one.

I am a firm believer in cheap laptops. The last one I bought was an acer 4730z, got it home, reformatted it with window 7 ultimate. I just replaced the battery with a double sized one I paid $40 for. Its held up strong and gives me lots of life with wifi on all the time. Most of my friends buy $1000 laptops to surf the net and I tell them their stupid. Most have kids and the laptops dont make it more then a few years. I wont pay more then $350 and its a gamble as to how long it will last.

for the most part they all have their faults and lemons, we just have to find one that stays together for us. Ive found heat to be the biggest killer of laptops.