Thread: Altering MAP in .bin file? Help Please

Altering MAP in .bin file? Help Please

I am attempting to change the PCM to a 2-bar map. I typically use HPT but was told I can use TinyTuners to alter other tables and reflash with HPT.

I have the bin and am looking at these MAP values.

Default MAP Scalar: 0.1799316
    Default MAP Sensor Offset: 10
    Default Max MAP: 98.00781
    MAP Scaling Factor: 0
    MAP Sensing Offset: 10.332
    P0121 Error Max MAP: 70
    P0121 Error Min MAP: 50

What is it that needs to be changed and why, to allow a 2-bar map?

Should MaxMAP be (98.00781 * 2) = 196.01562....?

Thanks

was brought up in another thread but the topic changed so here is the new post.

Advanced Tuner
    I havent messed with TT so not sure how that all works but if you compare what you have with the same area in the tune of a stock 3800 boosted car using tiny tuner you should be able to figure out what is changed.

I included the stock file from my wifes car so you can use it for reference of a 3800 sc car
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    I havent messed with TT so not sure how that all works but if you compare what you have with the same area in the tune of a stock 3800 boosted car using tiny tuner you should be able to figure out what is changed.

I included the stock file from my wifes car so you can use it for reference of a 3800 sc car
    Thank you for the help. However I regret to report Tiny Tuners will not open a .hpt file, HPT encrypts their files.

HPT can open *.hpt and *.bin

TT can open *.bin only

So I am on the hunt for a bin file for a PCM that uses 2+ bar MAP systems. OR Information regarding MAP settings.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe a few members here use it on their 3800's , you could try Bilemke , oakleafresin ,or LSChris
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    I believe a few members here use it on their 3800's , you could try Bilemke , oakleafresin ,or LSChris
    okay. For the moment I am going to attempt changing just the one setting I believe is the right one to adjust. It says max Map 98.00781 kPa.

By setting it to 198.00781 then testing an idle to see where it sits on kPa readings. If I hit 40 kPa absolute then it may be the ticket. Under the scaled tables I was reading 20kPa which represented 40kPa (2bar voltage signal into a 1bar table)

I will be sure to post up if I solve it for others looking down the road.

Tuning is such a PITA sometimes...but thats what also makes it such a great hobby/profession. I enjoy over coming challenges.

Thanks for the help

Advanced Tuner
    MAP Scaling Factor:
    MAP Sensing Offset:

If changing the sensor, those are the two.

The "Default ******" tables are only used in the vent of a MAP sensor failure..

The P0121 are for the TPS sensor.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner in Training
    Let me know how this works for you as I might be interested in trying it once I have my boosted project finished. I have attached a copy of a 98 GTP .bin file for your review in tiny tuner.

Would be nice to see these tables added to .hpt
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Would be nice to see these tables added to .hpt
    Yeah or the 725 tables that are available in the 2002 Grand Am file.

You wouldn't think it would be all that hard as it is already mapped out in the open source tiny tuny database..... but then again we are only V-6 owners so HPT likely won't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by GMV6Power View Post
    Yeah or the 725 tables that are available in the 2002 Grand Am file.

You wouldn't think it would be all that hard as it is already mapped out in the open source tiny tuny database..... but then again we are only V-6 owners so HPT likely won't bother.

I can wait untill they get around to it.. when I get some free time I might even try finding the addresses and tables and fwding the info on to the hpt staff, might make it faster.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We have all of the information however we won't be going crazy adding 300 or 500 tables to all of the operating systems just to say we did. The creators of tiny tuner are all v6 enthusiests who do this on their spare time for free. We pay our engineers here(I know weird right?) and putting them on a job that would cost us say $10k in man hours would need to be justified, not to mention the fact that we simply don't have the manpower to do so.

Now with that said if you have a specific table you need access to, for instance the map sensor calibration params email support with the .hpt file and serial number and I'll see what we can do. Mind you the pcm limits the max map reading to 200kpa so you'd be limited to a 2 bar sensor.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by bilemke View Post
    MAP Scaling Factor:
    MAP Sensing Offset:

If changing the sensor, those are the two.

The "Default ******" tables are only used in the vent of a MAP sensor failure..

The P0121 are for the TPS sensor.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMV6Power View Post
    Let me know how this works for you as I might be interested in trying it once I have my boosted project finished. I have attached a copy of a 98 GTP .bin file for your review in tiny tuner.
    Perfect, thanks. This will definately help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    We have all of the information however we won't be going crazy adding 300 or 500 tables to all of the operating systems just to say we did. The creators of tiny tuner are all v6 enthusiests who do this on their spare time for free. We pay our engineers here(I know weird right?) and putting them on a job that would cost us say $10k in man hours would need to be justified, not to mention the fact that we simply don't have the manpower to do so.

Now with that said if you have a specific table you need access to, for instance the map sensor calibration params email support with the .hpt file and serial number and I'll see what we can do. Mind you the pcm limits the max map reading to 200kpa so you'd be limited to a 2 bar sensor.
    It's all cool. I understand how business works, I got my hands involved in several i-net marketing campaigns.

Plus, a v8 is better then a v6 period, in my book. Some day down the road I will have me a well built 8-banger.

With the use of TT's in combo with HPT I can get the job done. I'm just happy I can alter DFCO, Off throttle spark, idle spark, ect. Especially the MAP settings. If I need anything over 2-bar, I need better engine management anyways.

Thanks guys

Tuner in Training
    Any update on this? I need to do the exact same thing to my car as I suspect it may be causing long cranking cold starts. What modifications did you need to make?

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Any update on this? I need to do the exact same thing to my car as I suspect it may be causing long cranking cold starts. What modifications did you need to make?
    My mods are quite extensive. Turbocharged around 10psi, new pistons/rings, crank scrapper, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, intercooled, 36lb inj, ported heads, deshrouded valves, ect, ect, ect....

When I used the 2-bar Map and only scaled the tables that referrenced the MAP kPa I had long cold starts and occasional stalling after WOT/Boost. With the 1-bar those symptoms went away.

So the scaling trick works but it causes other issues, as I found out, that are not worth the scaling trick.

With the lack of resolution I couldn't define greater enleanment when the Manifold kPa dropped below idle levels. A condition at higher rpm with closed throttle. This is what caused the stalling as it couldn't referrence a greater vacuum at times since idle was at 20kPa (represents 40kPa).

Changing the MAP tables is the only proper way, as I recently discovered, hehe.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TGP-37 View Post
    My mods are quite extensive. Turbocharged around 10psi, new pistons/rings, crank scrapper, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, intercooled, 36lb inj, ported heads, deshrouded valves, ect, ect, ect....

When I used the 2-bar Map and only scaled the tables that referrenced the MAP kPa I had long cold starts and occasional stalling after WOT/Boost. With the 1-bar those symptoms went away.

So the scaling trick works but it causes other issues, as I found out, that are not worth the scaling trick.

With the lack of resolution I couldn't define greater enleanment when the Manifold kPa dropped below idle levels. A condition at higher rpm with closed throttle. This is what caused the stalling as it couldn't referrence a greater vacuum at times since idle was at 20kPa (represents 40kPa).

Changing the MAP tables is the only proper way, as I recently discovered, hehe.
    Yeah, I sent in my .hpt yesterday to bill@hptuners and he changed the MAP tables and sent the tune back to me, and it works perfectly. No more long cranking starts.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Yeah, I sent in my .hpt yesterday to bill@hptuners and he changed the MAP tables and sent the tune back to me, and it works perfectly. No more long cranking starts.
    Just logged in to see good news. I too will email my HPT and hopefully he can do the same for mine.

Congrats on the fix.