Thread: VCM Overtemp?

Tuner in Training

VCM Overtemp?

Whats the hottest you would want you VCM to reach before problems?
    250 too hot?
    99 red ss m6: 1 1/4 drop, aluminum flywheel, Mccloed adj master, B&M riper w/ cut stick, 4.10's, eradi speed rotors w/ hawk pads, Hp Tuners, LM-1, FAST 90/NW 90, Kooks LT's, costom 3" true duals

1/4-13.6 @ 101 mph stock

LSX Perfomance

Tuner in Training
    Nobody knows what the temp limits are of LS1 VCM's? or any vcm? I would think cars sittin out in the hot sun would build some serious temps, but when is hot too hot?
    99 red ss m6: 1 1/4 drop, aluminum flywheel, Mccloed adj master, B&M riper w/ cut stick, 4.10's, eradi speed rotors w/ hawk pads, Hp Tuners, LM-1, FAST 90/NW 90, Kooks LT's, costom 3" true duals

1/4-13.6 @ 101 mph stock

LSX Perfomance

Typically the maximum core temperature for silicon chips is about 390F. However, you typically want to keep the core tempurature as far below that number as possible. Without knowing the exact design for heat dissipation it is hard to know what the safe operating tempurature for the unit is. Since the unit is typically designed to be in an engine bay, I would think it could withstand temperatures up to 240F - 250F.
    Last edited by rnjmur; 11-09-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Tuner in Training
    ok, thanks for the info, i couldnt imagine 250F was too hot. I found the problem today, as you know aluminum expands more than most metals with heat, well i was running an engine 230F-240F and the VCM started freakin out, all kinds of codes, lights, everything, but just for a sec, then it would be fine for a little bit, at random times it would flip out. Come to find out the grounds on the back of the head were loose, (which i know was tight) the bolt had started to work its way out, so im almost sure when i ran the higher temp it allowed the aluminum to expand enough to let the bolt go, causing my ground issue, which i first thought was a broke vcm.

1/4-13.6 @ 101 mph stock

LSX Perfomance

Computers don't care much for noisy or low voltages. That's the best way to piss them off for sure.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.