Thread: Nitrous tuning questions car going rich on the big end

Potential Tuner

Nitrous tuning questions car going rich on the big end

Im Just trying to figure out why my car goes rich AF in top of 2nd and 3rd.
    Here is my set up
    408 direct port nitrous kit w/dedicated fuel cell.
    T400
    speed density tune
    O2s turned off.
    Car na runs a 12.3 af flat accross the board. On nitrous the af goes off the trans break up to a 12.1 then down to 11.7 through 1st then when I hit 2nd it goes back up to 12.1 then back to 11.7 then starts going down to 10.5 top of 2nd and all of 3rd.
    I have the dedicated fuel pressure at 8 psi. I just cant figure it out unless the computer is commanding more fuel out of my injectors in 2nd and 3rd.
    Im new to this but the car is tunned by a well know guy here in the midwest.

Last edited by NOS JOHN; 11-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOS JOHN View Post
    Im Just trying to figure out why my car goes rich AF in top of 2nd and 3rd.
    Here is my set up
    408 direct port nitrous kit w/dedicated fuel cell.
    T400
    speed density tune
    O2s turned off.
    Car na runs a 12.3 af flat accross the board. On nitrous the af goes off the trans break up to a 12.1 then down to 11.7 through 1st then when I hit 2nd it goes back up to 12.1 then back to 11.7 then starts going down to 10.5 top of 2nd and all of 3rd.
    I have the dedicated fuel pressure at 8 psi. I just cant figure it out unless the computer is commanding more fuel out of my injectors in 2nd and 3rd.
    Im new to this but the car is tunned by a well know guy here in the midwest.

I would have the well known tuner look at it. hard to say with no tune or log to look at. could be a few diff things from the tune or could even be the plugs.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Potential Tuner
    Running #9 NGK non proj. plugs. Here is the graph of the log. I have a 98 comp. with a 1 bar going to have it retuned with a 2 bar.
    Last edited by NOS JOHN; 11-07-2010 at 07:50 PM.

I am running SD nitrous as well on a 408 but mine is a plate kit (200 shot).

I have trouble with a cell or two after the hit getting rich then it goes back to normal....the car has a quick bog at 4000 or so when it happens and picks back up. I can't figure it out either.

With yours, what does the timing map look like? Does it decrease as the RPMs go up?

When I say timing map, I mean the hi octane spark table from 3200 and up and higher than .8 g/cyl

What is the bottle pressure doing during the run? Is the up/down fueling regulator bounce on the nitrous fuel side?

That idle swing before the run is from having the TPS reporting >0.4% If you get it back to 0%, it should settle out.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Potential Tuner
    The bottle pressure is at 950 at the start of the run then goes down to just 900 im running to 15lb bottles Y together. I dont know about the fueling regulator bounce on the nitrous fuel side.Frost You mean it only acts up when its on spray.

I know the idle was great until I put colded plugs in then it idled like crap.

Widebands don't read right with nitrous! Mine read's 10.8afr on the bottle and the plugs tell the complete opposite. My timeslip's don't lie either.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    Might want to check the siphon tube on the bottle... What brand on bottle is it?
    2008 Twin turbo TBSS, Precision 6766, 385 LS2, ID2000s

This is either Cat Over Temp or Piston Protection. This is a wide-band log. The PCM is commanding the AFR to 10.3 and the wide-band matches.

Potential Tuner
    Since it doesn't do this when your not spraying the car, (and your getting your additional fuel from a source other than the computer) I would look at your n20 kit first.

Sometimes fuel pressure gauges can be off especially when it comes to direct port kits, have you had the kit flowed?

Take a look at the duty cycle of the injector on a hp pass log vs nitrous pass log. I know that mine (wet kit) are within 1% at various data points (RPM) throughout each pass. (compare similar rpm points, other points such a shift recovery will be off due to the difference in rpm from the nitrous)