Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys what is this?

Hey guys what is this?

This is just another goofy table I found that I don't understand. What's it do? And how do you use it?

Thanks,
    -Robbie.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Those are the timing numbers for max torque. Pretty handy for making advanced high octane tables they may or may not be on the verge of KR.
    Makes a real good starting point.

That's odd, I always tune the High Octane Table and it follows it fine. Which table does it rely on most? This one or the High Octane?

Thanks,
    -Robbie.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

It's used to calculate torque output. Read the description, boy!

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    It's used to calculate torque output. Read the description, boy!
    Description= read. So how do you tune with it? Or do you just set all numbers to thirty and it will run solely off the High Octane table I always noticed down low at WOT, the car simply does not listen to the High Octane, so I tried adjusting idle spark. That helped tons. But is still not perfect.... And the ECM seems slow to adjust timing when going up through the RPM band.... Is it because the High Octane and this conflict with one another?
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 11-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

That's another table I've never fully understood the purpose of myself. I usually leave it alone. But whenever I have a car that seems to be having trouble following my commands in the high octane table, I use that table, and it seems to do the trick.

Huh.... Well all in all I'd really like to understand the table more. It looks beneficial, especially in limiting horsepower if necessary.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

It doesn't do anything. It is just used when the PCM calculates torque output.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Ok then Thanks Steck.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

the PCM calculates how much torque the engine is making based on airflow and a few other things, the it compares the current timing to this max torque timing and reduces the calculated torque based on how close you are to this table.

This table plays no part in spark timing, just the torque calculation.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    the PCM calculates how much torque the engine is making based on airflow and a few other things, the it compares the current timing to this max torque timing and reduces the calculated torque based on how close you are to this table.

This table plays no part in spark timing, just the torque calculation.
    so then what does the torque calculation affect?

I have a question. if there are tables that don't affect anything meaningful in a tune like driveability, power, spark, airflow, fuel, throttle, etc or will fry the ecu if altered

why do we even have them in the editor? demand? why would customers want them in the Editor?

you know what I mean? I'm just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post

I have a question. if there are tables that don't affect anything meaningful in a tune like driveability, power, spark, airflow, fuel, throttle, etc or will fry the ecu if altered

why do we even have them in the editor? demand? why would customers want them in the Editor?

I agree 100%

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Senior Tuner
    My Cranking table looks a whole lot different on my 08 Corvette.

the computer uses torque management tables and one would think it may need a way of calculating torque to do so effectively.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post

the torque calculation mostly affects things relating to torque management,traction control system and also the transmission relies on a reasonably accurate engine torque value to go about its business.

if you ever did want to calibrate your engines torque efficiency this is the reference table. Some parameters are added because people see them in other software and MUST have them in HPT, sometimes without justification - the customer is always right you know
    I count sheep in hex...

So wait, you guys are saying something like, if you make a datalog with the Calculated Torque Output, it references these timing numbers in a segment versus the airflow to figure the torque output via preset torque calculations? And if you change these numbers you change what the Calculated Torque shows, to represent a more accurate Torque reading.... Did I get that right?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    Since you guys talking about calculated torque, how can get my 50% scaled tune to give proper torque reading? What I get now is 260 instead of 600. I know this is not actual torque readings but would be nice to get it back to normal reading.

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    So wait, you guys are saying something like, if you make a datalog with the Calculated Torque Output, it references these timing numbers in a segment versus the airflow to figure the torque output via preset torque calculations? And if you change these numbers you change what the Calculated Torque shows, to represent a more accurate Torque reading.... Did I get that right?
    the rest of the tables aren't shown that calculate the base torque figure, the base torque figure assumes MBT. But yes, if your actual timing numbers are below the MBT numbers and you lower the MBT numbers you should see an increase in calculated torque.

A lot of the base torque calculation references airflow, so if it's out then the torque will be out.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by HNK View Post
    Since you guys talking about calculated torque, how can get my 50% scaled tune to give proper torque reading? What I get now is 260 instead of 600. I know this is not actual torque readings but would be nice to get it back to normal reading.
    You could set up a histogram that takes the calculated torque and rescales back to original. Won't change the values used by the Auto tranny, so they have to be scaled as well.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    the rest of the tables aren't shown that calculate the base torque figure, the base torque figure assumes MBT. But yes, if your actual timing numbers are below the MBT numbers and you lower the MBT numbers you should see an increase in calculated torque.

A lot of the base torque calculation references airflow, so if it's out then the torque will be out.
    Sweet. Just asking though, how come the other tables aren't shown? Wouldn't they be easier to use?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray