Thread: Any interest in a "dyno" section?

Tuner in Training

Any interest in a "dyno" section?

I have been using a dynojet in the shop for the last few years but I just stepped up to a new Mustang MD-500. In searching around the net there is not many forums that discuss tuning technique's when using a load controlling dyno, (sweep tests, ramp rates, steady state, cooling issues, etc). I have found a few but not many, wondering if anyone else would like to see a section like that and if so maybe we can bug Bill to add it in.
    1998 Cavalier Z24 - Fully built 3800 V6 running a Precision PT67 billet ball bearing turbo. 601WHP and 511WTQ @ 18psi on 91 octane pump fuel

Raven Autosports

I'd be interested in that.

Interested.... BTW, how you been Raven? Have not seen you around here .org lately..

P&P Tuning

Another vote from me....Dynomite Dyno available

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Yes, I added a Mustang Dyne to my tool box this year.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260 View Post
    Interested.... BTW, how you been Raven? Have not seen you around here .org lately..
    Been good, really busy lately but can't complain. I don't go on the org very much at all anymore, I think it' been over a year now. How about yourself? Still got the car?
    1998 Cavalier Z24 - Fully built 3800 V6 running a Precision PT67 billet ball bearing turbo. 601WHP and 511WTQ @ 18psi on 91 octane pump fuel

Raven Autosports

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd View Post
    Yes, I added a Mustang Dyne to my tool box this year.
    What kind of experience have you had with it? I have talked to few people now who have them and I seem to be finding that they are pretty tough machines that hold up fairly well. Been told to watch the wire for the emergency stop in the control box though, I guess it like to come lose over time but that's about the only thing that I have heard so far.

I also picked up the smartach for it as well but the more I read most people seem to just configure each car for roll speed to get rpm, what is your experience with it?

So it does look like there is some interest in a dyno section, whats say we get it added to the board???

Raven Autosports

I'm months behind learning how to use it correctly, I took delivery in March of this year. Problems showed up right away, they were not solved until Sept.

Mine is above ground & semi portable therefore it is not anchored, if you were to activate the emergency stop I'm not sure of the ramifications.

I've only used the analog tach to date with no real problems, I have the other pick up for coil sticks.....have not used it. At this point I would prefer to pick engine rpm from the tach signal until I'm a bit more comfortable with roll slip. I have not experienced that yet, just like to monitor that channel.

Tuner in Training
    There is a pretty good forum over on efi101.com's site for dyno's. Lots of very knowledgeable guys from across Europe and the US with some great info. Most of them use the dyno dynamics or a land and sea but there are a few MD owners as well.

Not sure if they offered it when you bought yours but you should be able to give Mustang a call and book in some training time for yourself at their facility. They offer free lifetime training on their dyne's.

Mine is going to be mounted above ground as well (it's portable too) but it will be anchored to the ground as I don't plan to take it anywhere anytime soon. I plan on building a set of level rams in front of it so that cars will sit level when testings.

I guess when the emergency stop wire loses connectivity to the board all load is removed from the system and the drums just free spin...better make sure your ignition cuts are working that's for sure.

Yeah roll slip would be an issue when using roll speed to calculate rpm but from what I have read it's all in how you strap the car down. We don't have very many high hp cars around these parts, only a hand full over 1000whp.

What are you doing for exhaust extraction and fan setup? I plan to run mine in the open shop 2000sq/ft with a 1000cfm exhaust extraction system, fresh air inlet, 42" axial fan to move air around/under/over the car and a 4000cfm carpet style fan for intercoolers and rads. Hopefully that will be enough for the first year till we can get something in the works to build a proper dyno cell for it.

Raven Autosports

I've visited that site a couple times, I will go back & check it out.

I have been to Mustang's facility for initial training, very over whelming. Never had operated a dyno at that point. I did purchase on site training, they have been to my place twice, both times they turned into troubleshooting session's due to problems I had.

We built leveling platforms so you can roll underneath, everything was fabricated out of aluminum & will fit stacked into 1 cart. So it easy to put away & deal with limited space. Even the interface I/O box is mounted on a Aluminum cart. I had some photo's I will try & hunt down & post.

When the dyno is set up the it is very close to the the overhead door, we can operate with the door open. I have 3ea fans, the 42" runs the most, 2 spd & is reasonably quiet. I picked another from a Dyno fan site OMG it is loud!

I also need a permanent location, I'm working to wards that.

Potential Tuner
    I also have a mustang dyno. 1100awd series

Been loving my Mustang MD-1100SE dyno for the past 7 years now.

AWD1100 over here too love it!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Hmmmmmm!

Sounds like Mustang should jump on board!

not to say I am speaking for the company as the actual owners would have to say yes or no....

but this is not a "Dyno" company... the company is a vehicle tuning software company.
    if you have a specific need for a dyno question it should be on a forum for that dyno.
    if you have a tuning question while on the dyno you should ask it in the appropriate vehicle area of the forum
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    not to say I am speaking for the company as the actual owners would have to say yes or no....

but this is not a "Dyno" company... the company is a vehicle tuning software company.
    if you have a specific need for a dyno question it should be on a forum for that dyno.
    if you have a tuning question while on the dyno you should ask it in the appropriate vehicle area of the forum
    Your right this is not a dyno company, but the two things are directly related to each other. If you don't have a way of measuring the changes you are making then what is the point of tuning the vehicle in the first place? With the more advanced setups out there a dyno is crucial, especially if the vehicle is to be driven on the street and retain good drivability in all conditions. And the reason I brought it up here like in my original post is that there are no "forums" that I know of other than the one I already listed, they just don't exist.

The section I am proposing is more geared toward people who own and use a dyno to tune cars on a daily basis. A place for people to discuss things that relate to your dyne's setup, configurations, different load and sweep test's that people like to use when tuning a particular car, problems such as heat, exhaust extraction, fresh inlet air, all of which can have a very big impact on dyno tuning a car. With a good load bearing dyno you can literally tune a car start to finish without having to touch the street but if you don't know how to control the dyno or the environment around it then your tune will be way off when it's time to hit the roads, or in the case of high load steady state tuning you could blow something up.

Also I think it would be good for the average user as well just because of how many different dyno's are currently in use around the world. All of them will read different from Dynojet's which are considered inflated numbers to Dyno Dynamics that has the nick name "the heart breaker" because it typically reads lower than all others. I'm sure people would like to be able to ask any questions they want about the particular dyno they or their tuner will be using.

It looks like we have a lot of MD owners on the site which is awesome, and even better the reviews are good. I was pretty nervous picking out a new dyne but I think I made the right decision. Got an email from them last week that it will ship out on the 19th.

Raven Autosports

How about another way to expose & enhance the HPT product, which is really what this site is about....isn't it.

Sure the side benefit for the user is to learn how to better use the product. Only part of the rational for site.

When the tuning software is sold, support is a huge part of the equation, maybe not initially.

A dyno section is another breath of fresh air that this site needs?

Who knows, tuning shops not using HPT may just want to check it out. My guess is there may be a serious interest in the more commercial style licensing by the owners?