Thread: Newbie looking for very basic help!

Potential Tuner

Newbie looking for very basic help!

Guys, I've had VCM Suite for a couple of years but have never done anything other then check for DTC's and take a copy of my stock tune, so sorry for the very newbie type questions. I've tried searching, but can't see anything that addresses the real basics.

I had my '01 Z28 Camaro dyno tuned a few months ago after having headers and hi-flow cats fitted. The guy said I wouldn't get any cat related DTC's because he'd tuned them out. But today, I thought I'd just quickly check for any DTC's (just something I do every few months) and codes P0420 and P0430 showed up - no engine light (yet), but the codes are there.

So I then compared my stock tune with my current tune and can see that he's disabled P0137, 138, 140, 141, 157, 158, 160 & 161, but not P0420 and P0430. Currently they are set to " MIL on First Error" but I'm guessing they should be set to "No Error reported."

So if I want to make this change what do I actually have to do? I'm pretty sure the first step would be to connect everything up and "Read Entire" and then change the setting for each in 'Engine Diagnostics/DTC's', but what next? Do I then just click on "Flash - Write Calibration Only?" Or is it best to make the changes out of the car, do a 'save-as' and then a "Write Entire" when connected up to the car?

Oh, btw, the header dyno tune was done with EFI Live, that won't matter will it?

Tuner
    Once you are done with the changes you have done all you have to do is yes "Write Calibrations Only"... And as for those code all you want to do is remove the check and highlight "No Error Reported". By the way you only have to "Read Entire" once and that when you first read it. Next and everytime after that all you need to do is open it through wherever you have it saved. By the way the "Write Entire" option shouldnt be used much... Only if you are changing the format such as SD or adding or removing Tunerlock. Good Luck

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.