Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg's DVD

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    I think you lost me here. Why would he not have put it in a usable format to begin with?
    Because each PCM uses slightly different axis labels. The data is there... Gor forbid anybody have to do any legwork to interpret it.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Since this is about using Greg's data I have a question about the short pulse adder. The X-axis numbers don't corespond to what is in my file so I use the closest one to it and put the data into HPtuners and it inputs a slightly different number than what I pasted. Is that normal? I don't want to do it all and find out I did something wrong. Using 42# green tops if it matters.
    I'm not sure but I would assume it's because those values are different for depending on the car. His instructions were for procedures on how to perform the task. He can't cover every car and every OS for each injector in his DVD. You follow his process and don't worry about the numbers in the video.

Since this is about using Greg's data I have a question about the short pulse adder. The X-axis numbers don't corespond to what is in my file so I use the closest one to it and put the data into HPtuners and it inputs a slightly different number than what I pasted. Is that normal? I don't want to do it all and find out I did something wrong. Using 42# green tops if it matters.
    this is normal. didnt matter for me though. i was trying to get my 80's to idle using the supplied data in the dvd set. i think greg said he put this in as a bonus and it is a mathematical translation of oe data for us to use. unfortunately as has been stated some of it does'nt present so well.

i tried his data : the car was fat at idle. no ve control
    i modified my short adder: better but still fat
    i modded offset,min and def: ding ding ding i can now move around stoich with ve.
    i think i am going to try creeping back up in short areas leaving 10% of control.

the video is a great guide to the concepts of tuning and i learned a fair amount. however theres no paste special section which has proved to be a real time saver. just my 2 cents and nothing substitutes good old fashioned trial and error on your own rig.

The 80s definitely want to idle rich. You have to idle the engine pretty high (900 or more) to get anything close to reliable control.

I think a number of you have mentioned it, but it bears repeating... The DVD outlines a process to follow to get the engine running better. In my process, we set the injector data (based on provided data) first, THEN we move on to solving for VE and MAF. If you have previously "baked in" errors to your MAF/VE, just swapping the injector data isn't going to fix it. There's a reason to my madness and I structured the training DVD to lead students down the right path, in the right order of events.

Since this is about using Greg's data I have a question about the short pulse adder. The X-axis numbers don't corespond to what is in my file so I use the closest one to it and put the data into HPtuners and it inputs a slightly different number than what I pasted. Is that normal?
    Again, please watch the actual DVD instead of just jumping into the raw data on the bonus disc. This exact situation is covered in the DVD, like this guy noted:
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Vette View Post
    I'm not sure but I would assume it's because those values are different for depending on the car. His instructions were for procedures on how to perform the task. He can't cover every car and every OS for each injector in his DVD. You follow his process and don't worry about the numbers in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Vette View Post
    I doesn't run bad anymore...
    I hate to say "I told you so", but... Congrats on getting you car running better!

With that said, I'm working on finishing up DVD #2 now. This one will cover the scaling exercise, along with an interesting exercise to PROVE that it works as advertised. I'll also be tackling the Virtual VE system and showing how to use it with the stock OS (gasp!) to properly run a boosted engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    Again, please watch the actual DVD instead of just jumping into the raw data on the bonus disc. This exact situation is covered in the DVD, like this guy noted:
    I have watched the DVD but its been a few months. I guess I'll have to watch it again. I have lots of time since the car is now stored for the winter anyways.
    Last edited by flame; 11-01-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    I think a number of you have mentioned it, but it bears repeating... The DVD outlines a process to follow to get the engine running better. In my process, we set the injector data (based on provided data) first, THEN we move on to solving for VE and MAF. If you have previously "baked in" errors to your MAF/VE, just swapping the injector data isn't going to fix it. There's a reason to my madness and I structured the training DVD to lead students down the right path, in the right order of events.

I hate to say "I told you so", but... Congrats on getting you car running better!

With that said, I'm working on finishing up DVD #2 now. This one will cover the scaling exercise, along with an interesting exercise to PROVE that it works as advertised. I'll also be tackling the Virtual VE system and showing how to use it with the stock OS (gasp!) to properly run a boosted engine.
    Have to say that Greg's instructions and data have worked very well for us Have set up several 600 - 800 rwhp projects utilizing 60's and 80's with little or no issues. Have setup an Excel worksheet for Scaling, VE Extrapolation etc. which makes the process a bit easier. Just finishing up a 2005 C6 (damn E40 ), 2 Bar SD, with close to 20 lb boost and it idles at 875 and we can move the fueling about via VE if need be. Will admit the C5's are a bit more work, but where there is a will, there is a way.

Thanks and look forward to the new DVD....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    So since most of you failed to read my original question I will post it again so that when someone else is trying to find out the answer they can.

"Since this is about using Greg's data I have a question about the short pulse adder. The X-axis numbers don't corespond to what is in my file so I use the closest one to it and put the data into HPtuners and it inputs a slightly different number than what I pasted. Is that normal? I don't want to do it all and find out I did something wrong. Using 42# green tops if it matters."

Pick the number that is the closest to what is in your X-axis and input the number from the excel sheet and HP tuners may input a slightly different number. This is normal.

How hard would that have been to say?

Advanced Tuner
    Oh and DSteck you still lost me on this "mx+b equation" thing

So since most of you failed to read my original question I will post it again so that when someone else is trying to find out the answer they can.

"Since this is about using Greg's data I have a question about the short pulse adder. The X-axis numbers don't corespond to what is in my file so I use the closest one to it and put the data into HPtuners and it inputs a slightly different number than what I pasted. Is that normal? I don't want to do it all and find out I did something wrong. Using 42# green tops if it matters."

Pick the number that is the closest to what is in your X-axis and input the number from the excel sheet and HP tuners may input a slightly different number. This is normal.

your answer is (yes) as stated in the other posts.. not everyone will say yes or no. when your short pulse adder changes the data that means it will not take the info your trying nor will it ever. you will have to (tune) it to best suite your needs, eg; higher number or lower number then your first input into the short pulse adder table.

hope this helps you.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Sorry.... yes, pick the closest axis and insert that value into the tune. The value you insert from Greg's table may change slightly as HPTuners (or GM) has set step increments (i.e 2004 is .0152).

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

It's a formula for calculating straight line values and would interpolate the exact values iaw with your tune axis values, but again, there are fixed step values that the PCM will factor up/down to so you will still have values which don't match.

Just insert the number from Greg's table that is the closet to your table axis values. It will look like a "stair case" when you graph it.

Ed M

[email protected]

Open Excel, and fit a trendline to the short pulse adder data. It'll give you an equation in the form of y = mx + b. Use that equation to generate numbers that fit the axis labels. It's really really really easy.

Potential Tuner
    is this dave dvd use full?
    2002 Trans am Ws6
    Lt's Ory 12.9
    Trickflows 215's in the works!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ws6kid. View Post
    is this dave dvd use full?
    Help me with the English I think you are asking if the DVD is useful?

The answer is yes. Besides showing the how-to set up for WB (hardware and HPTuner formulas) , MAF/VE tuning and general HPTuner operation it comes with a second DVD with all Injector info for everything from 26 lb'rs to 80 lb For injectors.

Ed M

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    It's known as the "Slope-Intercept" form: y = mx + b.

It is used to determine the formula that describes a line on an x-y plane, where:

y = Vertical position
    x = Horizontal position
    m = Slope of the line
    b = Point where the line intercepts y.

Look here for more information.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fasthotrod View Post
    It's known as the "Slope-Intercept" form: y = mx + b.

It is used to determine the formula that describes a line on an x-y plane, where:

y = Vertical position
    x = Horizontal position
    m = Slope of the line
    b = Point where the line intercepts y.

Look here for more information.
    Thanks for the info. Its bad enough figuring out all the acronyms now I gotta figure out the math equations too!

Thanks for the info. Its bad enough figuring out all the acronyms now I gotta figure out the math equations too!
    I'm pretty sure this was taught to me in 7th grade.

yeah it was 7th

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I'm pretty sure this was taught to me in 7th grade.
    Well seeing how you're now in 8th grade I guess you still remember! Who the fuck cares what grade it was taught in. If you haven't used it in 20 years how the hell would you remember?