Thread: Automatic Lights

Automatic Lights

You know one thing that I hate most about my car is the damn automatic lights. I am military and everynight when I go into work before I get to the gate I need to turn my lights off but guess what, unless I have my E-Brake on from the moment I turn my car on I cannot turn my lights off.

So my request is that more controls in system should be able to be manipulated. Maybe some other controls that I can't think of but the main point is the lights.

Respectfully,

KP

P.S No I don't like my username either but it works.

With out knowing your vehicle but I will assume that it is a Chevy is pre2004 and has a similar setup as the 98-2003 Grand Prix.

To disable the DRL you should be able to open the side panel on the drivers side of the dash that can only be seen when the door is open. Inside there will be a little unit that is black and has a heat sink on it with one plug running into it unplug that. DRL should now be disabled.

If you can manually turn the lights on with a rotary knob then turn the knob between the headlights and marker lights positions that should kick the headlights off but you run the risk of burning the switch out.
    If the above works try removing the rotary switch and see if the lights will turn on. If they do not come on then you should be able to locate the wire that powers the lights from the switch and add an extra switch to cut the signal.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Well I understand that I can be done mechanically but it would be nice to have a way for the computer to just edit it out. My car is a 99Camaro, I also understand that my car specifically may not be controlled via computer and may just be a relay somewhere controlled by a diode but if it is not then it would be nice to see this feature.

-KP

Senior Tuner
    Lift up the plastic part of the dash by the security LED with something like a butter knife. It is held down with velcro. The auto headlight sensor is mounted next to the LED. Unplug the connector and short the wires together with a short piece of thin bare wire. Your auto headlights will then be disabled and you will have to use the headlight switch to turn them on.

Tuner
    theres going to be a control box(on my 98 harness anyways) behind the radio. should have two plugs with i think 8 wires on each plugged into it. when u r looking at the top of the box(side with cliplocks), i believe its the plug on the left. one of the two there is the control for the lights. unplug it. no more auto lights.
    95 Maro LS1 Swap

03 Z-71 Silveraldo, Pewter ECSB

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazematt View Post
    theres going to be a control box(on my 98 harness anyways) behind the radio. should have two plugs with i think 8 wires on each plugged into it. when u r looking at the top of the box(side with cliplocks), i believe its the plug on the left. one of the two there is the control for the lights. unplug it. no more auto lights.
    And also no more brake light in the dash when the E brake is engaged.

Just to let you know the lights are not controlled by the VCM but circuits.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

i totally agree with kamikazematt

Tuner in Training
    On the 2003-2005 Cavalier the DRLs are probably not controlled by the ECU. On My base model there is not much that is other than the engine so controled by the ECU is not an option.

As mentioned above there are several tricks to turning them off. Two I have found are removing the relay or jumpering a switch from the E brake. I recall reading an issue with removing the relay but dont recall and could not find what it was. Nothing major as I recall.