Thread: P0103 set to #2 no mil light but the service light still comes on

P0103 set to #2 no mil light but the service light still comes on

Anyone else see this behavior with a gen III ls1? Thanks
    2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE - M6

The box you have checked (SES enable) means that it will set the SES light. Uncheck the box.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The box you have checked (SES enable) means that it will set the SES light. Uncheck the box.
    If you disable SES won't that keep it from getting into SD mode? Whats the purpose of the drop down if you have to remove the check?

Thanks frost
    2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE - M6

No, the error has to be set, not the light.

More details here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...88&postcount=6
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    No, the error has to be set, not the light.

More details here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...88&postcount=6
    I think I get it now. When you choose the drop down of mil light you are setting the light on all the time correct?
    2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE - M6

honestly IDK; I don't use it.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

I take back my previous post because it honestly doesn't make any sense

If checkbox for ses enable only effects the light, then why is there a drop down that says no mil light as an option?

Can anyone else tell me this? Thanks all!
    2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE - M6

The term MIL is kind of a misnomer in this case. SES Enable is whether to set off the check engine/message indicator/service engine soon light. The colum that talks about the MIL is just whether to report the DTC or not. So to fail the MAF you want it to MIL on first error but you probably don't want the SES Enable checked; maybe you do so you have a visual indicator it's failed.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

It's my experience that leaving the SES enabled turns on the service vehicle light, not the service engine soon light.

It doesn't matter if the code is set to no light, mil on first error, or mil on second error. That has nothing to do with setting the code, but just how many trips with the code set to turn on the service engine soon light.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 10-26-2010 at 04:00 PM.

From the HPT help file;

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
    This tab controls the setting of the MIL and SES lamps and the reporting of the various DTC codes (Pxxx). Note: It does not disable the actual tests. eg. disabling the MAF DTCs will not affect the behavior of the engine if the MAF fails. ie. it will still revert to backup mode, set maximum knock learn etc.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Error Mode

0 - MIL on First Error: Emissions related. Illuminates MIL the first time DTC sets.
    1 - MIL on Second Error: Emissions related. Illuminates MIL if fault is active for 2 consecutive driving cycles.
    2 - No MIL Light: Non-emissions related. Does not illuminate MIL, but will illuminate SERVICE light.
    3 - No Error Reported: Non-emissions related. Does not illuminate MIL or SERVICE light.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) SES Enabled

SES Enable (Checked): Enable SES/Check Engine/Service Vehicle Soon lamp/display for this DTC
    SES Enable (Unchecked): Disable SES/Check Engine/Service Vehicle Soon lamp/display for this DTC
    As Russ pointed out, there are two different lights in some cases; a Malfunction Indicator Lamp and a Service Engine Soon Light.
    A MIL light is generally emissions related components. An SES light is simply for service related codes.

As well, note the section I bolded.
    Last edited by omega_5; 10-26-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Tyler

Guys thank you very much for the explanation! Totally makes sense now, with the ses enable checked I see the "Service Engine" light at the bottom left of the tachometer. With the mil set to #2 no mil light, I don't see the "Service Engine Soon" light in the top right corner of the console.

Have a great week everyone!
    2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE - M6

Tuner in Training
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar issue with my 2000 z28. I get a p0103. However, I don't even have the MAF sensor on the car bc it's a speed density tune. Any idea what could cause this? I do have HP tuners if I need to run more tests to determine the problem (I just don't know how to use it that well).

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune so the experts can check it for you.