Thread: Newb - Pre-built Tunes For My Setup?

Tuner in Training
    Stationed in Pearl Harbor, originally from Gainesville, FL, retiring in Johnsonville, SC

Newb - Pre-built Tunes For My Setup?

I have never tuned before, but I know with the right the information and guidance from you all, I can get through this.

I have a 2003 ZO6. I currently have the VARARAM CAI and right now the car runs great. I am installing LT Headers.

What I want to do...delete the air system and remove it. Delete the rear O2 sensors. Delete the skip shift. Adjust fans (I have the stock thermostat). I need to know how to do that and then what I need to do to dial in the rest of the tables to try and maximize the HP and TQ. I do not have a wide-band and this will be done on the street. Maybe a moderate tune to get me running and when I leave Hawaii, I will get my tuner to dial it in nicely. Maybe someone has a prebuilt one that will compliment my request.

Thanks in advance,

Micah
    Last edited by mph1972; 11-03-2010 at 06:54 PM.

As in, you are looking for a tuner for a base file or as in, you are looking to have a file given to you?

You will find that the incredibly overly broad questions like "how do I tune" will go mostly unanswered on the board because you are asking someone to write a novel. Specific questions such as how do I put the car all on the MAF or all on the VE will get you help. Most of the user base here is quick to help someone who is actively trying to help themselves.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Stationed in Pearl Harbor, originally from Gainesville, FL, retiring in Johnsonville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    As in, you are looking for a tuner for a base file or as in, you are looking to have a file given to you?

You will find that the incredibly overly broad questions like "how do I tune" will go mostly unanswered on the board because you are asking someone to write a novel. Specific questions such as how do I put the car all on the MAF or all on the VE will get you help. Most of the user base here is quick to help someone who is actively trying to help themselves.
    I understand. I guess I am looking for more of a baseline tune for my current setup. Something to get me started. Does this help at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mph1972 View Post
    I understand. I guess I am looking for more of a baseline tune for my current setup. Something to get me started. Does this help at all?
    what Steve is saying is you need to have an understanding of the tuning process, the sensors involved and how the PCM uses them. You can't just "get a tune" and start tuning.

Recommend you read through the Stickies above (http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742) on the basics of MAF/VE tuning. Pour through the 1,000's of threads on the subject using the search mode to specific topics. Also there are several great books on the market. I recommend the 2 by Greg Banish Greg is a certified GM Calibrator and frequents this forum from time to time giving help as well.

Once you have an understanding of the PCM and how it works with the various sensors (MAF, O2's, MAP etc), you can begin the tuning process and as Steve says, ask questions relative to specific issues.

Most of us started this way. Before I got my HPTuner, I couldn't tell a VE table from a Dining room table...now I can tune 800 HP, Supercharged A6 automatics to idle at 875 rpm and get 20 mpg. It will take some time, but will be fun in the journey. And remember, you have the forum and all the great tuners like Steve, RussK, soundengineer, Greg, etc. to ask allyour tuning questions to.

Good luck and let the games begin...

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 11-05-2010 at 05:08 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    what Steve is saying is you need to have an understanding of the tuning process, the sensors involved and how the PCM uses them. You can't just "get a tune" and start tuning.

Recommend you read through the Stickies above (http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742) on the basics of MAF/VE tuning. Pour through the 1,000's of threads on the subject using the search mode to specific topics. Also there are several great books on the market. I recommend the 2 by Greg Banish Greg is a certified GM Calibrator and frequents this forum from time to time giving help as well.

Once you have an understanding of the PCM and how it works with the various sensors (MAF, O2's, MAP etc), you can begin the tuning process and as Steve says, ask questions relative to specific issues.

Most of us started this way. Before I got my HPTuner, I couldn't tell a VE table from a Dining room table...now I can tune 800 HP, Supercharged A6 automatics to idle at 875 rpm and get 20 mpg. It will take some time, but will be fun in the journey. And remember, you have the forum and all the great tuners like Steve, RussK, soundengineer, Greg, etc. to ask allyour tuning questions to.

Good luck and let the games begin...

Ed M
    Ed, this is what I needed. Pointed into the right direction. Thanks. I am just looking for some guidance. I found one of the books you mentioned, got pick it up. This (as you mentioned in your comparison of tables) is just a foriegn language right now.

Micah

Tuner in Training
    Saw your post(s) over on the Corvette Forum... if you have HP Tuners, spend the $150 that they want to charge you for a 'e-mail tune' and buy a wideband instead. (Okay... a wideband is closer to $200 but you know what I'm saying.)

I realize that there is a steep learning curve to this... but if you stick with it and read the guides, it will start to make sense. I know, because I have been reading my azz off trying to learn as much as I can. Someone here recommended this book, and I'm glad I got it... it made a lot of sense and helped me understand things better.

The folks here are really good about helping people that help themselves. Just gotta dive in head first and start figuring it out.

With just a Vararam and long tube headers, it won't be too difficult to get you where you want to be. I have the same and I was able to use the guides here (as well as the tuning book) to get my VE and MAF tables dialed in and my PE table set the way I like it.

Good luck.

I bought this, and it covers a ton of stuff.....

http://www.thetuningschool.com/train...learn-at-home/

Tuner in Training
    I purchased the tuning school home course....a bit expensive, but I was tuning from day one.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rclinton View Post
    I purchased the tuning school home course....a bit expensive, but I was tuning from day one.
    Do you have the website or a link so I can look into it?

Quote Originally Posted by mph1972 View Post
    Do you have the website or a link so I can look into it?

http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

and

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31509

and

http://www.thetuningschool.com/
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

get Gregs DVD, it's worth the money

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-DVD-1/
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX