Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 08 ZO6 with F1R blower hitting a brick wall!

08 ZO6 with F1R blower hitting a brick wall!

This car no matter what, just keeps hitting a wall on the dyno at 5k rpm. It should be climbing and making a ton of power, but it gets to about 625 rwhp at 5200 then falls on it's face. Boost is holding solid at 14 PSI, belt isn't slipping any..., Everything honestly looks pretty good. Running NGK 8's gapped at .032. A/F is right around 10.6:1...

Compression is 9.5:1. Timing is a bit high up top, but even when I tried backing the timing all the way down to 10 at 6k rpm, it was still pulling knock retard. It actually sounds the cleanest when it's up around 18 degree's.

If anybody has any ideas, I'm kinda at my whits end with this thing.

Let me know!

For starters, you are trying to force speed density corrections through the entire RPM range, yet have stock VE coefficients that won't recognize boost. You need to set high RPM disable under dynamic airflow to like... 2rpm, and re-enable to 1rpm. That's your first problem, considering you aren't using a custom operating system.

I also don't see a wideband reading in that log.

The tune needs work. A lot of it. You need to scale the tune for the injectors for starters, and actually set it to MAF mode unless you plan to run a custom operating system and do it in actual SD, but it appears you're using a factory MAP sensor, so that'd have to change.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Wow,whats up with the pe table?

Advanced Tuner
    Couple friends had similar issues, turned out to be fuel system needed attention

Quote Originally Posted by vortec View Post
    I was about to say the same thing!
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    For starters, you are trying to force speed density corrections through the entire RPM range, yet have stock VE coefficients that won't recognize boost. You need to set high RPM disable under dynamic airflow to like... 2rpm, and re-enable to 1rpm. That's your first problem, considering you aren't using a custom operating system.

The tune needs work. A lot of it. You need to scale the tune for the injectors for starters, and actually set it to MAF mode unless you plan to run a custom operating system and do it in actual SD, but it appears you're using a factory MAP sensor, so that'd have to change.
    +1
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

He's trying to compensate for the fact that the airflow limit has been hit by tweaking PE to get a desired result.

This PE table was a victim of rape. :P
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    I still cannot fathom why anyone would pay you to tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
    Who was this directed for? :/

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    I assure you it was not directed towards you.

I assure you it was not directed towards you.
    Just making sure, I was like yeah I've made dumb mistakes and said dumb things, and sat in front of my computer going "dumbdy dumb dumb" while tuning, but I still like to help if I can.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

It's disheartening sometimes.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Chuck

Advanced Tuner
    It's disheartening sometimes.
    Ain't that the truth.

Yeah I did that to the dynamic airflow settings just for one pull just to eliminate the MAF from the equation. I normally keep it around 2100/2000 disable/enable. It had no effect either way. I was just curious and scratching my head.

Scaling the injectors won't fix the problem (we all know that). Might make things look a little more pretty, but the fuel trims are already just about perfect on the car.

And if you have never seen a PE table that looks like that, I'm going to guess you've never had to tune a car that maxes out the MAF at 4500 and has coefficient based VE. I'll openly agree with anyone, that method does not work well on turbocharged cars, but it works fine on belt driven blower cars.

Though I'm sure, there's some ideal way of doing it, my method has proven to be quite successful on countless 7-800+ boosted vehicles.

In fact most people who get paid to do what I do, do it the same way.

That may be true, I have seen a lot of "tunes" that looked similar, but they are doing it wrong as well...

I think you could say that about most "professional" tuners.

From my experience with other "tuners" work, there are few and far between who actually know what they're doing. So to single me out, is kind of a low blow. I've actually got a fairly proven reputation for being able to hold my own. I'm not saying (and never have said) that I'm the best tuner of all time, but when comparing myself to the average "speed shop tuner", I would say I rank pretty high. Otherwise 5 Houston based shops (and countless referral customers) wouldn't pay me on a weekly basis to tune cars for them.

I'm sure (more like I know) there are much better ways of doing things, than the way I do them. But that's the reason I like this forum... Because there seem to be a lot of very experienced and knowledge people on here, who are willing to share tips and techniques to the more avid minded tuner (such as myself).

The sooner you realize life is short, and that bashing someone (you don't even know), is a complete waste of time, the better.

I'm sure you do great work, but if you have time to make pointless remarks, on a thread that serves no significant purpose to your life.... other than to inflate your obviously deflated ego, you clearly have a little more practice to do in the business department of your endeavor.

And I do wish you the best, because with your supposed knowledge, a little maturity should take you very far in life.

Cheers from Houston

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucksTuning View Post
    I think you could say that about most "professional" tuners.
    From my experience with other "tuners" work, there are few and far between who actually know what they're doing. So to single me out, is kind of a low blow. I've actually got a fairly proven reputation for being able to hold my own. I'm not saying (and never have said) that I'm the best tuner of all time, but when comparing myself to the average "speed shop tuner", I would say I rank pretty high. Otherwise 5 Houston based shops (and countless referral customers) wouldn't pay me on a weekly basis to tune cars for them.

I'm sure (more like I know) there are much better ways of doing things, than the way I do them. But that's the reason I like this forum... Because there seem to be a lot of very experienced and knowledge people on here, who are willing to share tips and techniques to the more avid minded tuner (such as myself).

The sooner you realize life is short, and that bashing someone (you don't even know), is a complete waste of time, the better.

I'm sure you do great work, but if you have time to make pointless remarks, on a thread that serves no significant purpose to your life.... other than to inflate your obviously deflated ego, you clearly have a little more practice to do in the business department of your endeavor.

And I do wish you the best, because with your supposed knowledge, a little maturity should take you very far in life.

Cheers from Houston
    You tune for Houston shops? Which ones? I have never heard of you tuning for anyone in Houston. Ego? Now I have an ego because I called you out twice now about your tuning ability? You are asking help from people that tune part time. You are a supposed expert? How does that work?
    I do know you Chuck. I met you years ago in Dallas. You should have stayed in the family candle business.

Oh boy.... Here we go again. Basic rule of thumb is "You+time+HP Tuners=Harry Potter"
    "You+candle+HP Tuners=fire" Now.... Did that make any sense? No. Makes about the same amount of sense of arguing on this and risking potentially getting kicked from the HPT forum... Now I simply made a comment about the PE Table because I wanted to make a funny. Anywho, shall we go ahead and figure the impending problem out, get Chuck a WBO2, and move on?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray