Thread: Netbook, what to look for....

Tuner in Training

Netbook, what to look for....

I'm tired of lugging around my 15" laptop in these cars & trucks while tuning & datalogging. It's just too big and cumbersome. So I'm making plans to switch to a 10 inch "netbook".

I've looked around just a little bit, and it seems to me that they are pretty much all the same. I'm also pretty sure that isn't actually the case. I know that quite a few of you guys are tuning with the netbooks, so I want your input here.

What should I be looking for when selecting a netbook for purchase. Equally, what should I be looking to NOT get when selecting a netbook. My first instinct is to just call Dell and have them ship me one.

Thanks in advance,
    Roger

Senior Tuner
    I have a Dell Mini 1012 (10.1 screen)with Windows 7 Starter. One of the things I don't like is Windows Live Mail on this computer. My Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium is much better. All I get is symbols for commands. Not so on my desktop. Maybe it's Premium vs. Starter. So far I haven't figured out how to set up Shared folders with the two so I have to depend on email for connection between the two. Don't know how long the battery lasts but it does last a long time.

My best opinion for a designated HP Tuner notebook is get Windows XP. Windows 7 has a lot more but for HP Tuner more may not be better.

By the way too, this little computer is heavier than my old Acer. A couple ounces over 3 pounds vs. a tad under 2 1/2 for the Acer. Not a lot but you can feel the difference.
    Last edited by 8850; 10-20-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 View Post
    So I'm making plans to switch to a 10 inch "netbook".
    May i suggest the acer 1410 11.6", the cpu is faster than the atom, bigger and higher res than the 10" netbooks. You can find this "netbook" for around $3-450 depending on model.

I bought a used Dell D420 Latitude from a computer store. They sell refurbished with a guarantee. It seems to be a good size at 12". The battery is great. I paid $350. Support your neighborhood computer store.
    2000 GMC 2500 2-bar SD
    Stock LM7, LTs, TBSS intake manifold

Netbooks are normally sold with 1Gb RAM and Windows 7 starter. To make such a PC really useful as a PC one should be able to upgrade memory...

It should att least be possible to put in 2Gb in starter, according to MS :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7

I wouldn´t by one with just 1GB. It´s like bying a Corvette with 10 liters fuel tank
    C5-2000 MN6 LS2 block Tony Mamo FAST90+Ported LS2 TB 100mm MAF AFR 205 59cc CompCam 921 Yalla Terra G5X1 LG Pro Headers LG G2+T1 Chassie LG ducts MOVIT brakes - HPT&NGK AFX
    //Sweden

I use an asus Eee PC 1000HE. I put a SSD in it to replace the original HDD and it runs amazing. Its really convenient for track days.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

I have an Acer One, and I don't like it for tuning.
    It is great for data logging and has battery life, but not for tuning because the screen and keyboard are so small

Ya, tuning on a netbook isn't very practical.

I wish my netbook had one of those little mouse nubs instead of the pad by the wrists. Every time I have to type something I move the mouse a bit.

Scanning, reading/flashing, etc.. its very convenient.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Senior Tuner
    I make all my changes on my desktop and send the file/files over to my notebook. Not only is this easier but I have a record of all my files in two places for safe keeping.

Tuner in Training
    I have an ASUS Eee pc 900. It's ok but I'm thinking about getting an HP touchsmart 12 in screen and it converts to a tablet. Should be good for both logging and tuning.

I use a netbook for all my tuning. The small screen really isn't much of a problem. I found a netbook that still had Windows XP on it, plus I put an extra 1GB of memory to have 2GB total, and it works awesome for tuning. My only grip is that XP was not as good at battery life but I still get about 2 to 2.5 hours of battery life typically.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    My fingers are too plump for most netbooks...I bought my daughter an Eee pc a few years ago from woot and while its perfect for them it sucks for me. A 12+in screen full size keyboard is what I prefer. My work laptop is a 15.4in and my personal laptop is a 15.6" and I don't mind either for tuning.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"