Thread: Newbie needs a ton of help with an oddball engine

Potential Tuner

Question Newbie needs a ton of help with an oddball engine

Just ordered the Standard kit, waiting for it to be delivered, and I'm still a little fuzzy on how this all works. Bear with me, I'm completely new to VCM tuning, I'm used to working on much older, simpler cars. I have a 2006 Monte Carlo with the LZ9 3.9 liter in it, and I have come to terms with the fact they only made this variant of the 3.9 for one year. Next year they added DoD and e85 compatibility and dropped the power a little(12 horses). I guess my question is how do I know that when I download a new program and start my car, it won't completely wreck my engine or tranny? Are there failsafes? Any help would be great! Also, if this is in the wrong section of the forum, feel free to move it.
    Last edited by 3900MC; 05-01-2008 at 08:02 AM.

I guess my question is how do I know that when I download a new program and start my car, it won't completely wreck my engine or tranny? Are there failsafes? Any help would be great!
    Because you made careful, reasoned changes to the values in the program. There are upper/lower limits, but they don't always save you. Changing the numbers is easy, knowing what and how much to change is the hard part. Take it slow, read up, and make small changes, starting with one at a time and learn how the engine reacts...
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Advanced Tuner
    John pretty much said it all.
    1 change... 1 scan.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

My take on your question: Think of all downloaded files as viruses. You don't know what the originator did to the file, or why, and if you run it without filtering the changes through your BS detector, and knowing what the changes will do to your vehicle, you're tempting fate.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Potential Tuner
    Thanks a lot guys, it really is overwhelming, I had no idea! I promise I'll go with more specific questions from now on. Great to know there are limits, and I guess I will have to bone up on my reading before I even touch the editor. Thanks again!
    Last edited by 3900MC; 05-02-2008 at 06:46 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Have you done any tuning to the LZ9 3900 yet?

Potential Tuner
    ^^^ LOL almost 4 years ago