Thread: Tuning help for 09 Silverado with Cam

Tuner in Training

Tuning help for 09 Silverado with Cam

I need some help please. I have a 09 Silverado with the 5.3. I just recently installed a Comp Cam 54-418-11 224/228 0.534 int./0.537 exh cam. The problem that I am having is, I keep getting the check engine light on complaining about the motor running lean after the cam install. I have called comp cams about the problem and all they will tell me is that I have a tuning problem. I then called Summit Racing about buying new 36# injectors for the truck since the truck only has stock 20# injectors installed. Their tech support told me that I don't need bigger injectors but per their Comp Cams notes, I have the wrong intake on the motor. Summit said that I needed the 6.0 litter intake or a FAST intake, not bigger injectors per Comp Cams. I currently have the stock 5.3 intake on the motor. I have logged the injector percentage duty rate. The most that I’ve seen the duty rate was at 81%. I am also using the HP Tuners Beta software. I don’t know what to do. I can’t get the same answer from the two companies.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What dtc's are you getting?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    According to the ifr table it looks like those are actually 36# injectors, not 20lb.

Tuner in Training
    DTC is Bank 1 &2 Lean
    How can you tell that they are 36# injectors. I'm still learning.

Advanced Tuner
    If you are lean, the intake isn't the problem.

Tuner in Training
    Thats what I told the Tech support at summit. How was adding more air into the engine going to correct the lean fuel condition? He finaly agreed with me.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The Injector flow rate table tells you what the injectors were originally setup as.

What DTC code? P0171? etc. In my experience p0171/172 type codes are caused by maf issues so thats the first place I look.

Tuner in Training
    Bill, I am getting P1174 followed by P0300.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've honestly never seen that code throw before(p1174) maybe someone other than myself has experience with it.

P0300 is a general misfire code that usually pops up when an aftermarket camshaft is installed, thats pretty normal.

Tuner in Training
    Ya, from a little need web search. From what I have found from a colbolt site is that I may have one or more injectors clugged. I just wonder if the warranty will cover that after the cam I installed.

Not sure how your getting a lean code when the fuel trims are negative. Should have a rich code, not a lean code.

Russ Kemp

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Russ from what I can tell the problem is the o2 sensors are just dead for portions of the scan, for instance frames 16128-16711 the o2's just hover at 50mv or so.

Ok, I see that the O2's are not switching properly at idle. Set the idle to 750 rpm, then tune the Maf to get the fuel trims closer.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training

Talking

Thanks Russ K. I will set the idle to 750 and defiantly work on the MAF. The only reason I haven't adjusted the MAF was because I thought I needed bigger injectors and thought it would be a waste of time. But, I am going to work on that tomorrow. Again, thank you for taking your time to help me out Russ K and Bill.

Tuner in Training
    I am also thinking about running a can of seafoam in a tank of gas. Maybe that will clean anything that maybe clogging the injectors.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I am also thinking about running a can of seafoam in a tank of gas. Maybe that will clean anything that maybe clogging the injectors.
    Dont run seafoam, just take the injectors out and have them flow tested. Seafoam = not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzmann View Post
    Dont run seafoam, just take the injectors out and have them flow tested. Seafoam = not good.
    My gut tells me to agree.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

I am getting a P1174 Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance Bank1 as well! What is this fix???