Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To: 4L60/65E trans tuning. Shifting/TCC/TM (w/ Pics)

Advanced Tuner
    GREAT WRITE UP AND GOOD BIT OF INFO ON TUNING THESE AUTOS, THEY PLAY JUST AS MUCH A IMPORTANT ROLE AS THE ENGINE TUNE

-SOLD- 1999 Pewter Metallic Camaro SS. LS1/M6. True Dual Full Exhaust/LS7 clutch/MGW/Lid/Poly/Self tune.
    -SOLD- 2006 Quicksilver Metallic GTO. LS2/A4. Cam/Exhaust/Stall. 11.74@116, 1.61 60ft +2,000 DA
    -SOLD- 2013 Arctic White Corvette LS3/M6. Stock. 12.5 @ 116, 2.01 60ft +2,000 DA

On my tables in Pattern B they are Maxed out in WOT, And WOT Shift RPM. Are the steps different for a truck? And do we make changes to Y, Z pattern's?

Awesome!
    09 LNF: K&N Cai, ZZP IC, Injen IC piping, 3bar maps, efr 6758 (440whp!), Zeitronix E85 gauge, Innovate LC-1, WOTbox, HPTuners/Selftuned

Potential Tuner
    I need to get rid of a 2-1 downshift in D4, I don't want a 2-1 at all if possible.

Thanks
    Rick

Thanks for taking the time to do this!!

Another big thank you!

Good stuff, thanks so much!
    Regards,
    Bob Herrick
    Plano, Texas

2009 HHR SS Silver/Ebony w/ 5 Speed Manual.
    Tuning with HP Tuners using a 13" MacBook Air, using Parallels 9 with windows xp as a virtual machine.

Potential Tuner
    Great post! Just used it to tune my TCC on a 4L80E.

Potential Tuner
    Hi CoolAid. I know this is a old thread but hoping on getting some information on tuning my 4L60E trans. I am wanting it to be full manual. Ie only shift when i tell it too. At the moment it will change itself into 2nd. What parameters need to be changed for this to only change when i tell it too. Thanks

Hi there,

this seems like a great thread, but the pics dont work for me?

Potential Tuner
    Hi is there somebody that can help me with my tune.
    I bougth the hp tuners,I don't know nothing I just got a monte carlo ss with 5.3 4l80 all stock but I got a c1500 with 5.3 too,but with 4l60e I plug the hpt into the monte carlo that it's tunned I like how the engine works so smooth but I never think about they were diferent trannys so my truck is tunned too but the tranny won't work,how can I get the 4l60e get it work with this tune on the engine can I just adjust the tranny or I need to do both

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolAid View Post
    No prob. If it helped you out it was all worth it
    If I understand correctly, then almost everything described in this topic is suitable for 4t45-e ?

Potential Tuner
    I know this is old but it helped me out. Thanks
    2000 Chevy S-10, RCSB Stepside,--SWAPPED--5.3L, Ported 241's, 9.2:1 CR, Comp 228/232 .571/.574, FAST92, 90mm TB, BUILT 4L60E, Yank ss4000, Trans cooler, 8.8 LSD 3.73 w/disks, Traction bars, Truck PCM, Tuned w/HPTuners by me, Current Performance Harness, poly motor/trans mount, Headman headers mids, 3" True Duals w/Magnaflow's, CAI, Battery under the bed, Chrome C6 Z06 Deep dish wheels

337HP/304TQ
    12.99@106 w/1.91 60' with stock 4L60e, TCI3000 stall and 28" tall tire

Tuner in Training
    Excellent write up, answered nearly every question I have, except the TCC lockup speeds. I totally get what you are saying, but i was hoping for the photos that were once there to help give a visual to what you are saying.

If these photos exist, i would really appreciate seeing the apply/release speed tables. I have read about others using flat speeds at all TPS levels, like 43 across from engage, and 40 to release. While it works, i find myself going in and out often, some times annoyingly, while cruising around town. I am working up some numbers on a buddies yukon and was hoping to smooth that out a little better for him on try 1

Thanks for any input anyone may have!
    Tony B
    02 TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2/4l60e
    01 2500 suburban 6.0/4l80e
    01 2500 suburban 8.1/4l80e

Potential Tuner
    Awesome write up. I am new to the forum. Why am I not able to see the example pictures?

Potential Tuner
    after setting the tcc duty cycles to 100% i have no 4th gear... any ideas?? thanks-- i set this because after replacing my stock convertor with a 2500 stall convertor my tcc was very weak and would not hold eventually it set a p1870. but after tuning the duty cycle to 100% i did get solid lockup in 3rd but would never shift out of 3rd lockup.. and no codes. need help thanks-

Potential Tuner

Nice share of a lot of time spent! Great Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolAid View Post
    Torque Management (TM):
    In this final section we will deal with Torque Management, or TM as its called are settings that are on both the engine side of the tune and the trans side of the tune for A4s. M6 cars do not have trans side TM in the tune. For those that dont know TM is something GM added to the tune to dial back the engine timing during shifts and also add a shift time delay. This helps protect the trans from breakage but also makes for slow shifts and with timing being pulled and RWHP reduced because of it TM can put a serious hindrance on performance. Most modern vehicles have TM. For reference the stock torque rating for the 4L60E is 360 ft/lbs and 380 ft/lbs for the 65E. I personally dont recommend more than a 50% reduction of TM on a stock trans. Some people go further. 75% is fairly common and some even pull it out all together 100%. As far as a built trans, let it all hang out. Thats what they are for. On my trans I have it pulled out 100% since it is built to take the abuse. As far as how much YOU should pull out, well thats up to your personal preference. Do some research and be careful with your decisions. That being said lets get to it. In the "Transmission" section, find your way over to the "Torque Management" tab. Find the "Torque Reduction" area and there you'll find the "Torque Reduction vs Torque vs Shift" button or something along those lines. Unfortunately I dont remember what it says because 2.23 Beta has it listed as "Pattern X". This will be one of the main TM variables. There are a few others but this one makes the largest impact. Maybe someone can post up with what its called in 2.22 and I'll amend this write up. The pic below is from my stock tune:

Now the reason people say "-x%" is because these numbers are kind of arbitrary and dont really work out to be 1-100 in scale. So basically, looking at the 230 ft/lb area on the sixth box in for the 1>2 shift you'll see an 8. Obviously, a -50% reduction for that box would be 4. If you are going to do -50% then do it across the board. So, -50% on the first set of numbers 8, 11, 20 would be 4, 5.5, 10...etc. Now as far as the 5.5 thing HPT wont let you enter that so I usually would round up so 4, 6, 10...etc. If you want to go -100% drop 0s in every box.

Next lets check out "Abuse Mode". This is something the tune will reference if it feels like its getting the Ike Turner treatment. Here we have "Torque Reduction" and "Reduction Duration" buttons. Pop em open and lets see whats inside:

Lets go ahead and leave the Duration vs Trans Temp completely alone for all % reductions except 100%. If your taking out all TM then 0 out this entire table. Next we see the Trans Abuse Mode Torque Reduction vs RPM at the top right of the pic. Just like the Torque Reduction vs Shift from before if you are going to pull out a % of TM the the 90, 100, 100...etc would be 45, 50, 50...etc down the line for -50%. Once again if you are taking out all TM then 0 out the entire table.

Next we'll go over to the "TCC Limit" area and you'll see the Tq Reduction drop down disabled. Under that, you'll see an are where you can enter in the max torque numbers. This is the maximum TCC limit torque. If you have an aftermarket quality converter lets max this out by entering the max possible value in the box, with my car it says that its 6042. It can be found in the lower right corner of the window:

There we have it! Thats my write up. I trust that everything I have put in here is spot on accurate but as always I am open to any and all criticism. This entire thing came off the top of my head and if I missed something I'd like to hear it so I can add it in. Thanks to the members of LS2GTO.com, HPT forums and LS1Tech. Its where I gathered all of my info over the last couple years and if I can give back then I'm more then happy to because without all of us working together and sharing knowledge this hobby is flat hard to figure out sometimes. Good luck with your trans tunes and take things slow until you fully learn the ropes and what you are doing. There is a little more elbow room doing trans tunes for the first time since its a bit harder to blow things up like you can easily with motor tunes. Have at it!

Cheers

Excellent info, thanks this should help me with my TCC issue.
    70 Chevy C20 lowered, 99 Silverado 5.3L, shaved/ported 243 heads, Stage 2 cam,Custom tune, dual exhaust with H, 4L60E 3000 stall, Corvette servo

Senior Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software

See first post, this will help you guys working on these transmissions. There is actually an array of transmissions available to chose from in the drop down that identifies the trans you are working on. This will give you an excellent starting point for all settings of the trans.
    2000 Trans Am WS6