Thread: Setting up a wideband as a narrowband and utlizing the EGR

Setting up a wideband as a narrowband and utlizing the EGR

Installation was simple

Just follow these two posts like I did:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...&highlight=plx
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15247

For the first link, use the OPs post for setting up the narrowband.
    For the second link, use this post below for setting up the EGR, if you don't have Pro to log AFR. By using the EGRs 5V position signal you're interpretting those volts by dividing the volts by 0.5 and adding 10 to equate the AFR. So 0V = 10AFR; 5V=20AFR.

I'm looking to hookup the PLX SM-AFR to my 03 SSEi that I can read through my PT. (I have the EGR removed.) I wanted to confirm how I could connect the WB output to the EGR connector. I understand that I can use the Pin C (BRN) wire for the WB+. Which wire could I use for the WB ground? Pin D? Pin B? I'm not a electrical engineer and don't understand the difference between Pin D and Pin B.

Here's the pinouts of the EGR connector:

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
    A GRY 435 EGR Solenoid Low Control
    B BLK 552 Low Reference <--- WB-
    C BRN 1456 EGR Valve Position Signal <--- WB+
    D GRY 605 5 Volt Reference
    E WHT 257 EGR Solenoid High Control

TIA

EDIT: Got it figured out. It's B. You could use D if you needed to provide 5+ volts to a sensor.
    I did a WOT run and my AFR was 12.3-12.5, compared to my command AFR of 11.6. To correct this:

Attached is my cfg file. Under table display I log EGR Postion and two custom PIDs, AFR and AFR error. Under histogram #8 I log AFR error percentage vs MAF for 7375Hz and above. Use histogram #8 to modify the MAF to correct the AFR error. To do so, copy all cells in histogram #8. Then open your bin file, go to the MAF table, right click on the first MAF cell, click paste special and "mutliply by %", violah, the MAF between 7375Hz and 11,500Hz has been adjusted for the AFR error percentage. A few WOT runs and your actual AFR will match the AFR command. For adjusting the MAF below 7375Hz, use histogram #12. Open your bin file, go to the MAF table, right click on the first MAF cell, click paste special andand "mulitply by % - half", the MAF between 0 and 7250 Hz has been adjusted for the LTFT percentage.

edit: I'm using a PLX SM-AFR. My only complaints about the PLX is being force to use 20-22g wiring for the narrowband and EGR. The female connector provided along with the pins require thin wire (20-22g). I'm not a fan of using 20-22g wire so I used 18g and I had some trouble getting the 18g wire to fit the pins. PLX provides 1 pin with 20-22 gauge wire pre-attached, and 3 blank pins. The other concern I have about using any wideband as a narrowband is that a constant power source is required for the PLX unit. If there is no power, there is no narrowband. Currently I have the PLX unit powered by the power drop which also provides power to the aux 12V outlet and if it shorts out blowing a fuse that leaves the PLX unit with no power and no narrowband. I unplugged the PLX wideband to see if the motor would run without a narrowband and the motor kept stalling out. I may look for another power source, maybe an independent source.
    Last edited by dlclarkiiRegal; 10-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    2007 Pontiac G6 GTP ~ 3.6 VVT (LY7 10.2:1) w/ 6 speed auto/manual tap)
    14.358 N/A @ 96.57 mph
    2001 Regal LS ~ L32 GenV M90; PLX SM-AFR WB; 3.4 Blower Pulley; 18* WOT; XP CAM; TOGs; N* TB; Dynotech Stage 2 Trans
    13.288 @ 104.23 mph

Car Domain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291346/1

Tuner in Training
    i know this is an old thread but i made a diagram to help me better understand what to wire to what on my GTP with my LC-1, should apply to most WB though.

EGR wiring

Ground for the EGR goes to the engine ground, Position signal goes to the 5v output of the WB.

Narrowband o2 wiring

for the narrowband i took an old o2 sensor and cut the connector off with as much wire with it as you can. D - fuse output gets tapped off, A - heater low and C - ground go to engine ground, B - Heated Signal goes to 1v analog output of the WB.
    Last edited by Swiggles; 02-07-2012 at 10:31 PM.

LC-1 Through the EGR

Tuner in Training
    thanks guys This helps all of us PLX users out there

Yes thank you just installed mine the other day and used this... I had wired in the narrow output to the tan wire and saw the pcm reading the bouncing O2. turns out the pcm was reading the signal backwards. PLX was showing super rich on the test drive while the pcm kept adding fuel. I cam across this and realized why the purple didnt work when i first tried it. and problem solved.