Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Injectors Not Firing

try jumping the power from the battery to the coil and put a 10-15 amp fuse on it.. see if it fires. if yes rewire that power wire. if no hum... thinking bout it...
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Well the thing that's odd is we put a '06 harness on the truck that we know worked fine when we pulled it off the truck it was on. Wanted to rule out a harness short problem or whatever.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

check the plug for corrosion? the only thing it could be is a wiring issue. wiring terminals loose maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    check the plug for corrosion? the only thing it could be is a wiring issue. wiring terminals loose maybe..
    plugs all look good. I traced all the other coil wires and they're good too. I would find it weird that we would have 3 bad PCM's, but after all of this you never know I guess.

The header primaries are what's red hot, they're sparking good I just dunno why those two would have increased heat in the primary.
    '20 AT4

unplug the alt pull all fuses from everything but the pcm, drivetrain, and fuel pump ect.. and see if it fires. this would eleminate everything other then batter power and engine wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebdb56 View Post
    The header primaries are what's red hot, they're sparking good I just dunno why those two would have increased heat in the primary.

missfiring will cause this as will them being leaner then they should be..

also you have a 2004 os and a 06 harness. is it the same for pcm pinouts?

yeah true that's probably the only thing we hadn't tried yet honestly. I'll tell Zach about it, and maybe we'll try it tonight or tomorrow.
    '20 AT4

missfiring will cause this as will them being leaner then they should be..

also you have a 2004 os and a 06 harness. is it the same for pcm pinouts?
    true that. they're the same pinouts, I tried a '06 OS on it too with 06 TAC/Pedal to be sure.
    '20 AT4

if it works then hook the alt up first and see what happens.. then one thing at a time untill it starts not sparking then you will know about what the problem is.

crossed for ya

if it works then hook the alt up first and see what happens.. then one thing at a time untill it starts not sparking then you will know about what the problem is.

crossed for ya
    thanks, I appreciate the help with troubleshooting this POS. Sad thing is this truck should run like a raped ape
    '20 AT4

brain fart.. do a crank relearn and see if it helps the red hot and I am sure you have done it all ready..lol

brain fart.. do a crank relearn and see if it helps the red hot and I am sure you have done it all ready..lol
    Lol yeah. Did that for each PCM to be safe.
    '20 AT4

Tuner in Training
    I'm pulling this thread back up because I'm in a similar situation.

jakebdb56, did you ever figure this one out? If so, what happened?

Well, long story short, the cylinder that wasn't firing was because the valve was bent. The fuel apparently shorted the spark, so that's why it wouldn't show up as igniting through a timing light. The owner pulled the heads and got them fixed. After that, truck worked fine. It's been a while ago now that this all happened. Since then he put a schwanke 8.5:1 427 in it with a single front mount 78mm borg warner. First gear is useless, makes 700rwhp at 10psi 17* and 11.5:1 afr, ultra conservative for his heavy foot lol
    '20 AT4

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the follow up.

My car was driving perfect for a year and all of a sudden, Pooooop. Misfiring, sputters, etc... I just can't figure it out.

Advanced Tuner
    red hot meens it has to much resistance in the wire and or bad ground and it is drawing from the + side. also could be a short to a + on the power side and different item is tring to draw the power from the coil.
    probably just terminology but too much resistance usually means no current flow and a cold wire.

Quote Originally Posted by miker2 View Post
    probably just terminology but too much resistance usually means no current flow and a cold wire.
    Correct, but I was not referring to a plug wire. I was referring to the coil power and ground for that comment. I was under the impression that the power side of the coil was red hot and that would make me think that the ground was not good and or a short to ground was to blame. With much resistance on the ground the power side would get hot and as you stated with to much it would not fire.

jakebdb56

Happy to see you got it corrected! I just had a similiar issue with a civic, figured out the customer put in iridium plugs and did not gap them yet no ign breakup. The gap was set @ 40.. dropped it to 28 and picked up 156hp for a total of 608hp on 23lbs of boost. It was funny but I had three people standing on the front end and had to make the pulls in 4th to get traction on the dyno (with stickys).

Advanced Tuner
    google,your thinking is foggy.a weak or open ground will not heat the power side. a short to ground (low resistance)would.

Quote Originally Posted by miker2 View Post
    google,your thinking is foggy.a weak or open ground will not heat the power side. a short to ground (low resistance)would.

No fog here.. Seen it happen on a coil before or I would not have said it.

Point is it was not the wiring or a coil but in fact a bent valve..

Word. Have you tried running independent coils on any of the imports? One of my best friends has a 7M supra but with a 1JZGTE swap in it. Went to a stinger standalone (still with wasted spark though ) to get it all running right. Tuned it, but the tip in towards boost would break up the spark bad above 20psi. The ECU runs a dumb coil signal, so I said screw it and brewed up a LS coil swap, sooooooooo much better. I can't even describe the change other than it being a whole new car lol. Just the ignition upgrade was at least 30-40rwhp on the butt dyno. Anyways, figured I'd throw that out there since we're talking ignition, well worth it!
    Last edited by jakebdb56; 07-26-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    '20 AT4