Thread: How To Unlock LS1 PCM?

How To Unlock LS1 PCM?

So I've been doing alot of reading on-line about unlocking LS1 pcm's. I have a friend of mine that has an 04 GTO bought it with 12,000 miles on it with a locked PCM....I've read their are a few ways to unlock these....can someone please inform me how? I'm not interested in unlocking services or sending it to someone. I am interested in doing it myself. I don't care about the information that is on the PCM currently I have a reflash all ready for the car. Some one please let me know what I have to do.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Zero4488 View Post
    So I've been doing alot of reading on-line about unlocking LS1 pcm's. I have a friend of mine that has an 04 GTO bought it with 12,000 miles on it with a locked PCM....I've read their are a few ways to unlock these....can someone please inform me how? I'm not interested in unlocking services or sending it to someone. I am interested in doing it myself. I don't care about the information that is on the PCM currently I have a reflash all ready for the car. Some one please let me know what I have to do.

-Dave
    You mean a Tuner locked PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    You mean a Tuner locked PCM?
    Yes....

Yes....
    I think it's cheaper to buy a new PCM and replace it. The tools you need to do it are much more expensive than a new PCM

hahahaha

you post a question like that on a forum that is for tuning with their own software that quite possibly locked the device in the first place. why would they tell you how to unlock it .. and if some one told you i am quite sure the thread wouldnt last for long.

maybe ask how you can get round the credit system as well for hptuners .. save us some dollars as well..

as previously posted it is usually cheaper to buy another PCM unless you have the equipment already...

by the time you purchase tools to pull pcm apart
    decent iron to remove chip
    decent power supply to run the chip burner etc..
    programmer to read chip and flash new tune in
    decent tools to refit chip and clean board a new PCM is looking better for $$$$
    -----------------------------
    Ultimate Conversion Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledip View Post
    hahahaha

you post a question like that on a forum that is for tuning with their own software that quite possibly locked the device in the first place. why would they tell you how to unlock it .. and if some one told you i am quite sure the thread wouldnt last for long.

maybe ask how you can get round the credit system as well for hptuners .. save us some dollars as well..

as previously posted it is usually cheaper to buy another PCM unless you have the equipment already...

you can also use a brute force on the pcm to find the seed/key. If I remember right thats all thats changed when locking the pcm, eg; changing the seed/key.

yes you can but that can take a while.. plus need to have that software and then know how to use it...

the chip removal way takes me about 15 mins from unopened PCM to all together unlocked

is easy when you have done aorund 100

but eally dont think the software will be posted here...

hahahaha

I'm not interested in the tune on the computer....I just want to start from scratch.....I would just love to write over the hole thing without even reading it....Where would I get those components and what program do I need to wipe the chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    you can also use a brute force on the pcm to find the seed/key. If I remember right thats all thats changed when locking the pcm, eg; changing the seed/key.
    How do I do this? I've been reading about the brute force attacks but they can take awhile due to the computer needing to reset....

yes you can but that can take a while.. plus need to have that software and then know how to use it...

the chip removal way takes me about 15 mins from unopened PCM to all together unlocked

is easy when you have done aorund 100

but eally dont think the software will be posted here...

Can you maybe PM me step by step instructions to wipe this computer? Or possibly how to brute force it?

I am only trying to help a friend out and save him some money on buying a new ecm along with being able to help out people in the future that have had their ecm's locked....

-Dave

Even after you pull the chip (assuming you CAN) you will need a valid binary image to reflash it with and the hardware to work with the PSOP directly. The byte order of the binaries supported by HPT and created by other editors is not the same as the format that you will need to flash the chips directly either.

If you already have the equipment, you would most likely already know this though. Without having the gear, I don't see how you are saving your friend any money. You can get replacement PCMs for $100 or less if you look around.
    Last edited by Frost; 10-06-2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

step by step instructions will take a while to write as it isnt a simple process...

plus you may save your friend money but will cost you more than the price of a 2nd hand unlocked PCM

plus more than likely you will ruin the chip taking it off(broken leg) if you havent had any experience with ICs' .. 44 legs desoldering is not an easy task. I have probably invested close to $1000 in equipment so i can remove chips and flash to a stock binary and refit along with making sure the board looks factory again

specail soldering station with heat gun
    special solder
    flux pen
    cleaning fluid for board
    psop44 flash board
    flash programming unit
    bench harnesses
    off car stabilised power supply

list goes on....

I have invested all this as i (like frost) am a dealer for dualflash chips and the equipment is needed to fit these boards

just please dont think anyone is going to tell you on a forum like this how to unlock a tune - need to search else where to find

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Even after you pull the chip (assuming you CAN) you will need a valid binary image to reflash it with and the hardware to work with the PSOP directly. The byte order of the binaries supported by HPT and created by other editors is not the same as the format that you will need to flash the chips directly either.

If you already have the equipment, you would most likely already know this though. Without having the gear, I don't see how you are saving your friend any money. You can get them for $100 or less if you look around.
    I am interested in learning to do this myself to prevent myself from finding myself in this situation again...saying it cost 100 for the things I need will save me money in the long run...

Wink

step by step instructions will take a while to write as it isnt a simple process...

plus you may save your friend money but will cost you more than the price of a 2nd hand unlocked PCM

plus more than likely you will ruin the chip taking it off(broken leg) if you havent had any experience with ICs' .. 44 legs desoldering is not an easy task. I have probably invested close to $1000 in equipment so i can remove chips and flash to a stock binary and refit along with making sure the board looks factory again

specail soldering station with heat gun
    special solder
    flux pen
    cleaning fluid for board
    psop44 flash board
    flash programming unit
    bench harnesses
    off car stabilised power supply

list goes on....

I have invested all this as i (like frost) am a dealer for dualflash chips and the equipment is needed to fit these boards

just please dont think anyone is going to tell you on a forum like this how to unlock a tune - need to search else where to find
    I understand this but I would like the learn how to do this just to fix issues like this...I am not asking how to steal tunes I am only interested in accessing the ecu to allow me to flash it...not trying to step on toes just simply would like to learn this ability...

[QUOTE=Zero4488;233408]I am interested in learning to do this myself to prevent myself from finding myself in this situation again...saying it cost 100 for the things I need will save me money in the long runQUOTE]

interested in making $$$$

i am not silly...

if you get into a situation like this enough to make buying your own stuff worth while then you really need to sort out your tuner/s

alot will return the tune to standard for no cost which will allow you to tune away yourself without worrying about the tune that was in it..

I understand this but I would like the learn how to do this just to fix issues like this...I am not asking how to steal tunes I am only interested in accessing the ecu to allow me to flash it...not trying to step on toes just simply would like to learn this ability...
    no one said you were trying to steal tunes... but doesnt mean anyone else out there who reads threads like this wont...

i also see you ended up deleting the other post and reposting...

as said numerous times it is out there on other forums just search.. just this site will more than likely not allow this type of information to posted plus it is just taking away business from those who now how to unlock or opening up businesses tunes to be reused and sold on who lock their tunes..

I am interested in learning to do this myself to prevent myself from finding myself in this situation again...saying it cost 100 for the things I need will save me money in the long run...
    I clarified my sentence above... $100 was the cost of the 1MB replacement unit, not the hardware needed to work with them.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I clarified my sentence above... $100 was the cost of the 1MB replacement unit, not the hardware needed to work with them.
    thats right... cheaper to just buy another PCM

no one said you were trying to steal tunes... but doesnt mean anyone else out there who reads threads like this wont...

i also see you ended up deleting the other post and reposting...

as said numerous times it is out there on other forums just search.. just this site will more than likely not allow this type of information to posted plus it is just taking away business from those who now how to unlock or opening up businesses tunes to be reused and sold on who lock their tunes..
    I've tried searching and I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction

If you want to do it. Then you either need to pull the chip or run a seed and key finding tool on the PCM.
    If you pull the chip you can read the seed and key. Then reinstall the chip with out doing any programming to it. Then you will need to use other software that you can adapt the different seed and key to open the PCM and change the combo back to stock.

If you use some type of software to find the combo and get the PCM open. Then you will still need to change it back to stock and I don't think you can do that with HPT

This is from a PCM that was pulled off of the assembly line. I programmed the VIN into it. This PCM does not have a VCM ID#. I always Hex-Edit that in to a bin file.
    Attachment 25496

The other day I got a New PCM (not a Reman) and it had a full calibration, VCM ID, and BCC, but no VIN. My PCM is truly special and it helps me out all of the time.