Thread: 97-99 Secondary VE questions

97-99 Secondary VE questions

1. in the 97-99 would it be correct to copy every other row from the primary VE to the secondary VE e.g. rows 20 30 40 50...?
    2. when exactly does the car use the secondary table? Meaning is it just when you are at WOT?
    2007 Trailblazer SS
    Pacesetter long tubes/magnaflow duals/electric water pump/electric fans/fast lxrt/ported tb/ 4" CAI/as hood/
    1999 CAMARO SS- LS2 1 7/8" LTs|BIGCAM|S2Heads|FTRA|UD Pulley|TRU DUALS|LCAs & LCARBs|panhard bar|BMR ADJ T-Arm|racetronix fuel pump|FAST102/102 Mcleod Adj MC|HINSON SHIFTER|S2 T56|4.56s|RAII|K&N|LID|Monster 4/electric water pump/micro edge/lnc2000/qa1s/nx plate/qa1 drag bar/12 bolt/4.11 gears/3.5 ds

1. Correct
    2. When in S.D. or M.A.F. Failed

thought secondary table has less resolution.

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Correct

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    It's only on the MAP axis. the RPM resolution is still the same
    Jaime

It's easier to use the "copy with labels" part and just highlight the entire secondary table and paste. It'll put the info in the right column and row that way. Saves mucho time when working on SD tuning.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    It's easier to use the "copy with labels" part and just highlight the entire secondary table and paste. It'll put the info in the right column and row that way. Saves mucho time when working on SD tuning.
    Man that's good to know! I've been doing one row at a time....

OP, I'm tuning my VE tables in SD mode in my 98 Vortec truck right now. I read every how to and stick about how to do it I can find. They all seem to be about tuning a LS1 or the 60* V6 which have different pcms. What (if at all) did you read so you or sure you're doing it right?

Also, I noticed that on the newer ls1 style (0411) PCMs the ve values are in %. On the black box there in Hz I guess. Should I be Multiplying by % (%half), adding or subtracting?
    1998 2dr Jimmy: 1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L V-6, 4L60E, Wynjammer S/C @6psi, Accel 300+ ign box, Taylor 8mm wires,EGR delete, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete, Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen w/3.42s, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors, 255 Walbro, HPT standard, AEM UEGO W/B A/F meter.

SOON 2 COME:Water/Meth, JBA headers & more exhaust upgrades, cal-tracs, LS1 e-fans and some stickier rear tires.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    1. Correct
    2. When in S.D. or M.A.F. Failed
    Could you clarify this? I thought if I set the steady state MAP and TPS deltas to zero, this would lock the tune in speed density, and it would work off the primary VE table. You're saying it would work off the secondary VE table in this case?

Also, if MAF fails it goes to secondary VE. But as long as there is not a MAf error code, it works off the primary VE?

Quote Originally Posted by 12sws27 View Post
    Should I be Multiplying by % (%half), adding or subtracting?
    Right click and multiply by % or half % will add or subtract the % of afr error you logged when you paste it. A negitive error value will subtract and a positive error will add, all by it self.

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Wow, that's an awesome tip. I never knew it did that.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pontisteve View Post
    Could you clarify this? I thought if I set the steady state MAP and TPS deltas to zero, this would lock the tune in speed density, and it would work off the primary VE table. You're saying it would work off the secondary VE table in this case?

Also, if MAF fails it goes to secondary VE. But as long as there is not a MAf error code, it works off the primary VE?
    My understanding is that the primary ve is only used with the maf in a hybrid state. I always upgrade the os to a 2001 + model year as the resolution of the os and the extra tables is worth the upgrade and that gets rid of the secondary ve table.

Senior Tuner
    I always upgrade the os to a 2001 + model year as the resolution of the os and the extra tables is worth the upgrade and that gets rid of the secondary ve table.
    You could also update the 99-00 to the 1 bar SD custom OS (if keeping car in SD) and get the benifits of the low octane timing table, elimination of the secondary VE table, Alpha-N based VE multiplier, and most important Real Time Tuning.

Some OS's also have a 1 Bar MAF Enhanced that gives you the RTT on a standard MAF based set-up.

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Wow, that's an awesome tip. I never knew it did that.
    The copy w/lables then paste function is handy. I discoverd that about a month ago, myself and def is a time saver. Makes you wonder what other good tools are in there that we have missed out on.
    Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    You could also update the 99-00 to the 1 bar SD custom OS (if keeping car in SD) and get the benifits of the low octane timing table, elimination of the secondary VE table, Alpha-N based VE multiplier, and most important Real Time Tuning.

Some OS's also have a 1 Bar MAF Enhanced that gives you the RTT on a standard MAF based set-up.
    If I use SD I run 2 bar enhanced to gain the use of a real ve table and get rid of gmve. Just enter your stock map specs and then it's calibrated to your 1 bar map and no need to change map sensors. Much more better to tune ve.

Senior Tuner
    If I use SD I run 2 bar enhanced to gain the use of a real ve table and get rid of gmve. Just enter your stock map specs and then it's calibrated to your 1 bar map and no need to change map sensors. Much more better to tune ve.

The 99-06 Gen III LS OS's aren't displayed as GMVE in HPTuners. They take the GMVE and convert it to a percentage. The 2Bar OS just uses the same units as the original ( and 1 Bar,3 Bar) and extends the MAP range.
    Last edited by ElecTech; 09-24-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Jaime

Why then does the ve change by about 20% when going from one bar enhanced too two bar enhanced? Not saying your wrong, just thought I read a post of Chris's saying that the two bar uses real ve but the one bar does not. Maybe Bill or Chris can clear this up?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm new to the GM stuff, so could someone explain a couple points to me?

First, what's the difference between VE (like standalones) and GMVE?

Second, what's the deal with operating systems? Should a person upgrade certain ones to newer ones? Do you lose your current tune info by doing it? Does it cost credits? How do you do it? What are the true and necessary benefits of doing it?

Next, what is the point in having a secondary VE table, if it's just a mirror image of the primary table anyway, but with less resolution?

Finally, I understand that GM uses a blended MAP/MAF arrangement. I take it that at 4000 rpm (a calibratable number), GM uses MAF readings only, and below that, they use a blended model. But how blended? More MAP than MAF, or is this a calibratable percentage, or what?

One more thing... what is case learn? When do you need to do it, and what good/bad affects does it have?