Thread: Can I use my laptops a/c power or just battery power?

Tuner in Training

Can I use my laptops a/c power or just battery power?

I just got my interface today and it says to use only a fully charged battery and no additional power source. Does that include the regular a/c power for the laptop as well?

They just don't want you to use a power inverter in the car plugged into the cigarette lighter then have your laptop plugged in using "a/c power".

If you're in a shop and plugged into the wall, you should be ok.
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We've seen some of the cheaper inverters out there fry our interfaces, we just want you to be safe thats all.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I had issues with a couple interfaces using a 12v/120v combo plug that I bought ($160) after reading posts that I shouldnt use my invertor - no issues now that I follow the laptop battery only warning that comes packed with the interfaces nowadays.

If I run low on batt I disconect my interface from my laptop and charge it up then disconnect it from the power source before plugging the interface back in
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

How about the straight 12v DC adapters? I would think that the grounds are equal and no voltage potential would occur. I don't want to be the bunny rabbit finding out though :-)

Advanced Tuner
    the battery only warning is in there for a reason - if you stray from it it will be on you if there is an issue , I got sick of spending the extra $$ and the downtime and bought a laptop that will run 3-4 hours on a charge
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)