Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: truck is weak off the line

Tuner in Training

truck is weak off the line

I have a 2008 gmc sierra with a 5.3l and I am trying to find out why my power is coming in late. It feels like a delay or possibly torque management, abuse mode, traction control, or a PE delay

Tuner in Training
    here is my tune

OK so adjust your Power Enrichment rate up to about 1.200, and put some timing in it! I would say start at about 16 degrees and go up to at max 21. If you have Knock Retard Me as a tuner, I like to copy the High Octane table to the Low Octane table as well. Go to fuel and adjust your PE Enable TPS down to about 40% minimum at 1000 RPM, and 70% maximum at 6500RPM. You can interpolate between these values. Also find your IAT spark table and change the the IAT spark advance table to where it doesn't retard as much timing from 90* to 130* Go to Engine>Torque Management>General and max out all the trans input and output values. Change rev limiter to 6200, change all shift points to 6000RPM. Give that a whirl. This is just a rough tune, but should give you a good baseline for tuning.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Your PE is coming is way late at 5000 RPM. Id also lower the Retard Decay rates a bit. Maybe add few more degrees timing up high depending on your KR logs. the PE RPM would be the first thing you'd need to change. Lower that to like 2000 RPM.

I'm new so take this with a grain of salt. Can't go wrong with fixing the PE table though,

Pete

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    OK so adjust your Power Enrichment rate up to about 1.200, and put some timing in it! I would say start at about 16 degrees and go up to at max 21. If you have Knock Retard Me as a tuner, I like to copy the High Octane table to the Low Octane table as well. Go to fuel and adjust your PE Enable TPS down to about 40% minimum at 1000 RPM, and 70% maximum at 6500RPM. You can interpolate between these values. Also find your IAT spark table and change the the IAT spark advance table to where it doesn't retard as much timing from 90* to 130* Go to Engine>Torque Management>General and max out all the trans input and output values. Change rev limiter to 6200, change all shift points to 6000RPM. Give that a whirl. This is just a rough tune, but should give you a good baseline for tuning.
    where do i go to add the 16-21 degrees of timing?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPete View Post
    Your PE is coming is way late at 5000 RPM. Id also lower the Retard Decay rates a bit. Maybe add few more degrees timing up high depending on your KR logs. the PE RPM would be the first thing you'd need to change. Lower that to like 2000 RPM.

I'm new so take this with a grain of salt. Can't go wrong with fixing the PE table though,

Pete
    where is this at in my tune I have tried to find this before and couldn't. Thanks guys this newer truck is a little above my level.

Engine - Fuel - Power Enrich
    It also wouldn't hurt to raise up the Enrichment Rate to 1.5 while you were at it. That way it goes to the commanded AFR quicker
    Last edited by IndyPete; 08-31-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    ok here is what I have now. The truck feels a little better but it still feels like the power is coming on around 3500 rpm my afr is 13.0 to 13.1 or so under wide open throttle. I am going to go out and try to do a scan tomorrow and I will post it up. here is the file now if i am missing something let me know so I can fix it before my scan tomorrow. btw the way my mods are true dual exhaust with borla's, gmpp cai, under drive pulley, a triple disk pi vigilante 2600 stall and I am running ngk br6 plugs(i think that's the number for the non projected plugs)

It's all in the timing. Make a nice smoothe table starting at 15 degrees at .68 - 1.36 cyl/g airmass from 1000 rpm, and end at 6400rpm with 21 degrees timing. Then copy that table over to the low octane table as well. This is where all of the power is going.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    how is this

Tuner
    Alot of parameters require changing to resolve your issues. Your mph limit is set at 98mph, raise it to allow for more top speed, the pe enable is not changed either. Follow the advise from the other posts in detail and you will be up and running alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by FASSTRUK View Post
    Alot of parameters require changing to resolve your issues. Your mph limit is set at 98mph, raise it to allow for more top speed, the pe enable is not changed either. Follow the advise from the other posts in detail and you will be up and running alot better.
    I agree. Take your torque management out too if you wanna bang gears harder.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    I am having trouble finding where to set the pe mode to come on at 2000 rpms. can some maybe give me a screen shot? also does my spark table look better in my second tune? i do searches on this site but it is more q&a than write ups. If there are some write ups that can help me out please point me in the right direction.

Advanced Tuner
    Disable your DOD

Advanced Tuner
    There is alot to unleash in there.
    On a stock 60E tranmission,I personally would not remove all of the TQ managment,but that's me.
    Do you have a widband?

When you hoover the mouse over the different settings you will get an explanation of what that does in the bottom. The PE settings are where I stated earlier. Look for the 5000 value. I wouldn't change much if you don't know what it actually does though. Take your time, go through the tune repository and compare the tunes with your stock and see what they did and figure out why. Check the help videos.

Tuner in Training
    here is what I have in that section I just don't see it

Ahh, that explains the confusion! Go to edit, view and select advanced. Right now you have it set up to only view basic settings.

Tuner in Training
    thanks how did my spark table look? yes I do have a wideband

To me it looked low on the high end. Id start in the 20s and work my way down or up depending on your KR histogram. Do a few WOT pulls and look at what fields are filled in at what time and you will know where in the table your WOT airflow and KR happens. I leave the lower end of the scale alone usually and just concentrate on the mid - full throttle airflow, then tweak after that depending on KR during normal driving. I'm only used to the LS2 and I would think you have lower CR so you should be a bit less sensitive to knock.