Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 6L80E TCC Apply Issue Fixed!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by madvette08 View Post
    In Competitive driving mode Active Handling and ABS are both enabled, but traction control is shut off. Also it turns out the traction light you get on the dash when you just hit it once.

You wont be able to launch higher then that on a stock converter.
    That is incorrect with regard to the auto. In competetive mode traction conrtol is still on. Stabilitrack is off confirmed by the indicator lamp on the dash.

One quick press of the TC button turns traction control off. Two quick presses turn on competitive mode ( TC on Stabilitrack off). One press of approximately 7 seconds turns everything off.
    11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    That is incorrect with regard to the auto. In competetive mode traction conrtol is still on. Stabilitrack is off confirmed by the indicator lamp on the dash.

One quick press of the TC button turns traction control off. Two quick presses turn on competitive mode ( TC on Stabilitrack off). One press of approximately 7 seconds turns everything off.
    It actually depends if you're talking about a Corvette or Camaro - In a Corvette the TCS isn't operational in Competitive mode whereas it is in a Corvette .

If you press twice you go in to Competitive Mode Traction control off and active handling on (StabiliTrack on Camaros). If you have a manual you have Launch Control in Competitive Mode. I have Dynoed many 2010 Camaros 6l80s in Competitive Mode and if traction control was on it wouldn't allow you to move.

StailiTrack is like Active Handling on the Corvettes where it controls Yaw by applying the vehicles brakes, but you can still loose control.
    2008 Corvette A6 - Comp Cams 231/239 617/624 109 ICL 113 LSA, Patariot Extreme Dual Springs .660", Milled .30" Stock LS3 Heads, Mahle -4cc pistons, FTI 3600 Converter, 1 7/8 kooks cat-less 3 inch X-Pipe, air raid intake, ported TB, SLP Loudmouth I. 512hp/464tq

2011 Ford Taurus SHO - stock with just a Tune

Will the newest beta provide for sufficent trans tuning capability needed for high HP and after market stall converters on the 2011 Camaro's?

Have read many threads but none recently as to confirm positive results.
    2011 Camaro, 430cu Lsx, Mast Heads, Ported TVS 2300, ID 1300's, E85-Flex, Squash Fuel System, 250 Direct Port Nitrous, LPE Overdrive rear 10/14 Rib, Overdrive, 2.8" Upper, NW 102, 2" ARH, PATC built A6, Circle D Conv. etc. BMR 15" Wheel Conversion w/29/10.5W's/15 Hoosiers

2007 H2 SUT, 427 LSX, T76 BB@16lbs 225 Trickflows, Vic JR Intake, Lt's, Dual return fuel sys, Comp 236-232-115, 4L80e, 3000 Vigilante, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DRTWRK View Post
    Will the newest beta provide for sufficent trans tuning capability needed for high HP and after market stall converters on the 2011 Camaro's?
    Yes IMO

2016 C7 Z06 | 2017 ZL1 | 2009 C6 Z06 | 1994 GT - The LS-stang | 2010 Tahoe SSV

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DRTWRK View Post
    Will the newest beta provide for sufficient trans tuning capability needed for high HP and after market stall converters on the 2011 Camaro's?

Have read many threads but none recently as to confirm positive results.
    The new beta adds the tables needed to control the GM slip strategy. Very useful for aftermarket converters.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    It actually depends if you're talking about a Corvette or Camaro - In a Corvette the TCS isn't operational in Competitive mode whereas it is in a Corvette .
    I think you meant to say TC is on in the Camaro while in competetive mode, right?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by madvette08 View Post
    If you press twice you go in to Competitive Mode Traction control off and active handling on (StabiliTrack on Camaros). If you have a manual you have Launch Control in Competitive Mode. I have Dynoed many 2010 Camaros 6l80s in Competitive Mode and if traction control was on it wouldn't allow you to move.

StailiTrack is like Active Handling on the Corvettes where it controls Yaw by applying the vehicles brakes, but you can still loose control.
    Sorry, but this is not an accurate statement. Next time you get to dyno one pay close attention to what is being displayed on the dash when competitive mode is selected. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a picture for you.

Advanced Tuner
    The new beta adds the tables needed to control the GM slip strategy. Very useful for aftermarket converters.
    Sorry, but this is not an accurate statement - there is no slip strategy for aftermarket converters as they simply work how they work and you cannot change the stall speed or any other characteristic of one through tuning.

To answer the earlier question about running a converter in a 2011 Camaro, yes the beta will work as there are only a few optional parameters that even need to be changed in the first place. With only a couple of minor exceptions if you threw a higher stall in the car and never touched the tune you'd be totally fine. It isn't until you start making big HP or drag race the car regularly that you'll need to make some minor adjustments to account for it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    [B]Sorry, but this is not an accurate statement - there is no slip strategy for aftermarket converters as they simply work how they work and you cannot change the stall speed or any other characteristic of one through tuning.[/B]To answer the earlier question about running a converter in a 2011 Camaro, yes the beta will work as there are only a few optional parameters that even need to be changed in the first place. With only a couple of minor exceptions if you threw a higher stall in the car and never touched the tune you'd be totally fine. It isn't until you start making big HP or drag race the car regularly that you'll need to make some minor adjustments to account for it.
    Seriously

If you run anything other than a single disk IN THE CAMARO!!!!!! it will pulsate, heck even a single disk pulsates at low speeds unless you zero the slip tables. You CAN change just about every characteristic of the torque converter, except the mechanical stall, ie. slip, lockup, apply rate, just to mention a few.

It depends on the converter you run when it comes to tuning.
    Last edited by Waker; 12-23-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Seriously

If you run anything other than a single disk IN THE CAMARO!!!!!! it will pulsate, heck even a single disk pulsates at low speeds unless you zero the slip tables. You CAN change just about every characteristic of the torque converter, except the mechanical stall, ie. slip, lockup, apply rate, just to mention a few.

It depends on the converter you run when it comes to tuning.

So you are talking the TCC not the convertor .

If you are making any appreciable power you wont be doing that for long anyways, TCC lockup under power/WOT that is.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    So you are talking the TCC not the converter .

If you are making any appreciable power you wont be doing that for long anyways, TCC lockup under power/WOT that is.
    Yes, TCC would be a more correct term, thanks. I only know of a few that you can lock WOT with big power...Circle D and ATI

Advanced Tuner
    I've been running with 20rpm desired slip in gears 3,4,5 and 6th. i'm already experiencing mpg benefits. this is with the stock verter.

I want to try 0 rpm desired slip for 4,5 and 6th gear next. Do you guys foresee any problems with this approach and the stock verter since GM designed the unit with slip in mind ?
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 12-30-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    I've been running with 20rpm desired slip in gears 3,4,5 and 6th. I'm already experiencing mpg benefits. this is with the stock verter.

I want to try 0 rpm desired slip for 4,5 and 6th gear next. Do you guys foresee any problems with this approach and the stock verter since GM designed the unit with slip in mind ?
    I tuned a 2009 G8 with all slip tables zeroed and it's working good so far, but the individual is out of town. The only thing I've noticed on my triple is I must have a value of at least 50 in the first/minimum torque cell across the board. This prevents the converter from bouncing on and off during decel. You may want to leave at least 20 in the first cell to prevent the stocker from doing it.

Advanced Tuner
    I zeroed out the desired slip for 4,5 and 6th this morning.
    I also did set 2nd and 3rd to all 20's. no adverse reaction so far, the tcc still slips before 70mph, but the slip is now around 6-14rpm. past 70mph, it goes to 0 rpm as always.

Here is an example in 6th gear at 65mph with tcc locked.

Advanced Tuner
    I tuned a 2009 G8 with all slip tables zeroed and it's working good so far, but the individual is out of town. The only thing I've noticed on my triple is I must have a value of at least 50 in the first/minimum torque cell across the board. This prevents the converter from bouncing on and off during decel. You may want to leave at least 20 in the first cell to prevent the stocker from doing it.
    I have everything set at zero for 4th,5th and 6th. if i understand what you're saying i should leave them with 20's like this ?

Advanced Tuner
    I have everything set at zero for 4th,5th and 6th. if i understand what you're saying i should leave them with 20's like this ?

That is what I have to do in the Camaro with a triple. I have not seen the 2009 G8 pulse yet during decel but it is still early. If it does start to pulsate then I will set the table to exactly what you did above. I'm sure my situation has allot to do with my aftermarket converter, but GM did put values in there for a reason and I may have got lucky and figured out why. Could have something to do with the coast down logic. Again all these trannys run different OS's even though they all are 6L80E's. I will tell you this tranny seems to have two modes, a high speed/torque and a low speed/torque mode. In your scenario if you select TUTD mode while traveling 55mph, take a look at the TCC line pressure. It should instantly increase when you select TUTD and the slip should go to zero. In the Camaro once you pass 68 MPH the logic switches to high speed/torque and there will be no increase while doing the same method. I assume the G8 is the same and there is a trick you can do to fix this.

Advanced Tuner
    Ah Ok, mine is not pulsating so far, so i'll leave them with all zeros for a while and observe the behavior.

I'll test Manual mode this afternoon and post some comments about TCC line pressure and slip, going 55mph in 6th gear while in TUTD.

Thanks again Waker.

Advanced Tuner
    Ah Ok, mine is not pulsating so far, so I'll leave them with all zeros for a while and observe the behavior.

I'll test Manual mode this afternoon and post some comments about TCC line pressure and slip, going 55mph in 6th gear while in TUTD.

Thanks again Waker.
    You bet...What I've logged while switching from D to TUTD is the increase in TCC below 65ish MPH. Then upon going back to D the TCC line pressure will slowly decrease again. Not sure if the G8 will do the same, but it's worth a shot. Make sure you actually Tap into 6th and not simply leave it in M/S Since the stock converter was designed to slip you should actually be increasing its longevity by zeroing out these tables.

I'm currently working with Chris at Circle D designing a new custom converter. It will be capable of stalling at high levels while maintaining good part throttle characteristics using a modified GM slip strategy. He should have one ready for me by the end of the month. If testing goes well, it should be "THE" converter for NA applications. Once I install it I'll start a new thread, with Chris's approval of course. I'm currently running a custom 3500 stalled triple disk using my custom slip strategy with no ill affects after two months.

Tuner in Training
    Ah Ok, mine is not pulsating so far, so i'll leave them with all zeros for a while and observe the behavior.

Thanks again Waker.
    Matbe i'm missing something my 2008 Vette factory setting for slip is already set to 0s..